Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

19 year old killed by RC helicopter in NY.

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:19 pm
PostPost subject: 19 year old killed by RC helicopter in NY.

Saw this article about a 19 year old man killed by a 700 size TRex helicopter. It appear that there is a club in New York that have the right to fly in a park. see this article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096328/Tragedy-air-Stunning-black-white-pictures-board-Yankee-Papa-13-capture-ill-fated-mission-violent-throws-Vietnam-War.html

Jack
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:50 am
PostPost subject:

Jack that link goes to an article about helicopter Yankee Papa 13 during the Vietnam War.

This link takes you to the incidence you're talking about.

http://jonathanturley.org/2013/09/06/new-york-man-nearly-decapitated-by-his-own-remote-controlled-helicopter/

Very tragic.

Burgess
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:22 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the fix. I have no idea how that happened.

I read Papa 13 three days ago?

jack
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:42 pm
PostPost subject:

Wow that's really sad and hits a little too close to home; I know I've been guilty of hot-rodding right by myself in the past.

I don't like the "foreseeable misuse" talk though, by that logic they shouldn't sell knives because people might cut themselves haha.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:10 am
PostPost subject:

I think Nick, that it is the cutting of other people that we have to worry about. There are some idiots about that think it's fun to 'bomb' people with a fast run and a big craft. Slightest miscalculation of the wind and this can cause a lot of damage. I don't know what this guy was trying to do - looks like a nose-in, close landing that went terribly wrong but I'm open to suggestions. At least he was the only one involved. Can you imagine how you would feel if it was your craft that had killed him?

We do need to ensure that fliers know that these machines can be lethal in the wrong hands - just like the knives and guns most of us have. For us they are no threat to others but in the hands of an idiot - WELL!!

Tom.
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:42 am
PostPost subject:

Well said, Tom. I guess my imagination just immediately jumped to an image of a young guy hovering inverted a foot from himself to show off. Your thought is probably more accurate.

My general rule with my 500 and public/sports/school fields is not to fly at all if there is anyone else at all using the field, but I'm sure they don't have that luxury in New York.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:32 pm
PostPost subject:

In 1974 I got Hit in the back with a 6 foot J3 Sig cub making a low pass down the runway. The cub was powered by a Super Tiger .46. Knocked me to the ground.

I was doing a first flight on a TopFlite Contender. I walked up to the flight line and asked permission to enter the runway. It was granted by all those currently flying (I thought). I walked across the runway and as I did I hit full power on the Contender. She was off like shot. I proceeded across the runway. I thought that a motor was getting pretty loud. Just then - Smack. down I went, dropped my Heath Kit 5 channel radio on the way to the ground. Sheared the left wing panel off the Cub flush with the fuselage and it hit the middle of the runway. I jumped up looking for the Contender. When I finally saw the Contender It was disappearing into the Corn. Out of instant I pulled full up elevator. But of course it was now down in the corn cause I didn't see it any more. A few seconds later it came up????? Our flying field was up on a pretty good hill in central Indiana. It was surrounded with corn. There must have been enough room for the contender to recover. I was shaking so bad I could not fly ever well. My best friend at the time, also the man that taught me to fly came running out on the field and I handed him my transmitter so he could land my new plane.

We went back to the pits and I removed my shirt. There where 9 propeller cuts across my back from a 10/6 Zinger prop.

The guy that hit me (Bob) was really shook up. He was in a panic. Bob was deaf in his left ear. Didn't hear me ask for permission. He had no idea I was entering the fliers circle where we all stood when flying. That circle happened to be across the runway. In order to get to it we had to walk across the runway. I was new to the RC club and didn't really know everyone very well. So I didn't know Bob had a hearing problem. Bob's favorite thing to do when flying was low passes. Had I know that I would have been more alert to that and been more carful.

That experience really changed my out look on RC toys. They can really do allot of damage. Even when you have safety rules in place.

I always tell people to stand behind me as I will NOT hit my self.

I was very lucky.

jack
dadasheng
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:51 pm
PostPost subject:

Yes, it's really thrilling.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 am
PostPost subject:

Nothing better than being careful folks, it's taken quite a few years before I have dared to do this. (First RC flight in 1951.) If you feel at all doubtful don't try it, but if you do make sure you are well clear of everyone.

Link

Any doubt at all DON'T DO IT! These things can kill!

Tom.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:48 am
PostPost subject:

As a Carpenter Joiner, fast spinning sharp blades became part of every-day life, and injuries happen in a split second due to human error. Attention to detail prior to operating, lack of concentration during operating, and by far the worst is sudden distraction by another person.

RC helicopters are like power tools, they have fast moving blades, however, with regards to safety there are even more variables.

So as you put it, Any doubt at all DON'T DO IT!

Tom,
On a lighter note...
Great video, I'll name that tune in one, that was, ‘Keep on revin' by the Four Props.

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:17 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks Burgess,

I did wonder what the vid reception might be but I couldn't resist doing it.

Love the 'Keep on revin' by the Four Props. If they didn't I'd be in trouble there.

However, the lightweight 10x4.5 props on the quad are nothing like my paired 325mm carbon blades on the 450 single rotor. Shut the quad down and they stop, no need to wait. Makes it much safer for close work. I think that I have only made one other vid with close nose-in and that was indoors with my 'Wee Jock' co-axial. (It's on my Youtube channel somewhere.) And once again small lightweight blades that stop quickly.

Like I say "If in doubt DON'T DO IT!' Fly safe. Smile

Tom.
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:11 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Tom congratulations on your quadcopter flight, May I suggest showing your beautiful surroundings, rather yourself lol. I may be revelling myself here but I think it’s time, this will become clear later, I have just received my Hubsan X4 V3 with built in camera, they are unbelievable, I have created a new Youtube user name to show off these quadcopters, hope to post real soon, still not give up on the T-34 clue here, latest attempt tricopter T-34, I have built a flown Trex 500, but I think quadcopters are the future, do you know who am yet, last clue next video with the T-34 with 6 blades.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:37 am
PostPost subject:

SkyHigh wrote:
Hi Tom congratulations on your quadcopter flight, May I suggest showing your beautiful surroundings, rather yourself lol.

Well Skyhigh, if you check my Tombo242 channel on Youtube you'll find a number of videos of my house and area. I usually fly my helis from the house, currently there is no suitable runway for fixed wing so they are grounded. The Taveria Light Aero Club (I'm a member) assure me that there will soon be a restored runway near my village. I've checked the site but the horses grazing there prevented close examination. (No carrots or sugar lumps to hand at the time!) Could be good though - almost flat!

Tom.
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:16 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Tom I don’t need to see your youtube videos to see your house and area, when I have already seen it first hand, this may be another clue.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:04 pm
PostPost subject:

Well the only member I know that has been here seemed to think that I never flew high. I don't believe he could say that again! Come to think of it, wasn't he banned?

Quad climbing to height (glasses cam).

Looking over the southern ridge and down to the sea (aerial cam).

I'm still working on getting a more stable distant view with the cam mount, but you can download the shaky video I took with the aerial cam from here. It was just not good enough for Youtube.

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: