Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Simulators / Training

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
prof_fate
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:55 am
PostPost subject: 4ch radio, wanting to learn 6 ch heli

I'm fairly new to heli's and want to move up to a CP with 6 channels. I have the FMS and CLearview sims and both have CP helis. I cant' seem to fly them worth nothing....

I have 4 channel radios to use...is that my issue? Will the clearview sim (and windows xp) work with a 6 channel radio?
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:16 pm
PostPost subject:

Your radio is fine. It's you.. You just have to keep practicing. The key is not to over correct, tiny movements go along way when flying a helcopter.
As far as radios go, there really is no difference between a 4 channel and 6 channel as far as movements are concerned, the number of channels refers to the number of servos used for that aircraft.
Exapmle:
1=aleron
2=elevator
3=throttle
4=rudder
5=gyro sense
6=pitch
Keep practicing, it will click, you'll get it
prof_fate
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:48 am
PostPost subject:

Yes, but on your list there you have channel 6, pitch. I assume that's blade (main rotor) pitch, right?

One of the things i"ve heard about CP heli's is you can vary the pitch rather than throttle to change altitude.

So how is this accomplished?
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:31 am
PostPost subject:

prof_fate:

I struggled with Clearview until Tombo242 told me to go to the settings a reduce the rate for 100% to 50%. Made one-hell-of-a difference. I was finally able to get a complete flight on the sim and get some stick time.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:45 am
PostPost subject:

On a CP heli, you have 3 servos controling the swash.
aleron,elevator, and pitch.
On a futaba radio, the pitch servo is channel 6, in Spectrum or JR it is aux1.
You have to change throttle to go with the pitch, or have a set governed speed on the head so you can fly. This is called Idle-up or some call it stunt mode.
I was basically breaking down the number of channels for you so you understood the difference between a 4 and 6 channel heli.
prof_fate
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:09 am
PostPost subject:

pjdog wrote:
prof_fate:

I struggled with Clearview until Tombo242 told me to go to the settings a reduce the rate for 100% to 50%. Made one-hell-of-a difference. I was finally able to get a complete flight on the sim and get some stick time.

I've run my lama coax on the sim at 150" with trim way off on the tx and it's still easier than the real bird which isn't dialed in. If a CP heli works this way I'm not sure how anyone can ever fly one!

I figure to give the Blade 400 w/ training gear on it a go at 20%, 50%, whatever, and move up from there.
I found a DL of an mSR that is more challenging than a coax but not as impossible as a CP so i may play there a bit.

At this point I just need more actual stick time and with only one battery (more are coming) it's slow going - I get 1 or maybe 2 flights a day in. The big lama is big to be indoors with. I got a V4 used to play with and it's currently undergoing a thourough once over as it's a victim of the 'dreaded' TBE (it's been in storage for 6 months and needs cleaned and tuned). It's all souped up but even with the TBE isn't much more difficult that my BL to fly, just faster responding and bit more stable at hover maybe (till TBE kicks in).

I know on airplanes what the extra channels do, or can do. I'm new to helis so am not sure how the extra channels are used.

So blade pitch is tied into throttle then, via a curve adjustment in the tx?
I've seen/read that the eflite SR120 is a mild (as delivered) CP heli good for learning on. That implies any CP heli can be set up mild (or wild) then?
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:41 pm
PostPost subject:

The channels are seperate. the radio ties them together so that your throttle will move up and down with the throttle/pitch stick.
When you have a good programable radio, you will have 2 sets of curves to work with. One is the throttle curve and the other is pitch curve. You will set these up so you can learn and fly. By changing these curves you can make the heli go from mild to wild.
I just setup a Trex 500 for a friend, it is setup in normal very, very mild, but put it into stunt mode, and you can really ring it out.
iba10753
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:01 am
PostPost subject:

Crashagain wrote:
The channels are seperate. the radio ties them together so that your throttle will move up and down with the throttle/pitch stick.
When you have a good programable radio, you will have 2 sets of curves to work with. One is the throttle curve and the other is pitch curve. You will set these up so you can learn and fly. By changing these curves you can make the heli go from mild to wild.
I just setup a Trex 500 for a friend, it is setup in normal very, very mild, but put it into stunt mode, and you can really ring it out.

This was the most helpful post I've had so far - thanks. I'm having a devil of a time with my SR and I would bet that it is because I'm at 100% on all of my curves when I should probably be at 50% or so. I need to keep reading posts here to see what a good percentage curve should be for each of the "directions" for a pilot with low hours but a lot of enthusiasm.

Thanks again,
Ben
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:42 am
PostPost subject: post subject

hi iba10753
if you are flying the sr on the stock radio you will be stuck with the settings in the radio. they are supposedly set up for beginners and cant be changed. to change them you would need a dx6i or other spectrum compatible radio.
iba10753
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:01 am
PostPost subject: Re: post subject

chopper54 wrote:
hi iba10753
if you are flying the sr on the stock radio you will be stuck with the settings in the radio. they are supposedly set up for beginners and cant be changed. to change them you would need a dx6i or other spectrum compatible radio.

After replacing the tail rotor blade (an unfortunate victim of yesterday's test flight), I tried again today and promptly got it a foot off the ground and then it shot back to earth - bending the tail boom tube in the process.

I am using a DX7 and have already found out 1 big problem. I did not have the swash setting correct. I now have it in "3 Servos 120 degrees" and the swashplate instantly straightened up. That may have been my biggest problem. I also have the following dip switch settings:

Channel 1 (Throttle) - down (or NORM)
Channel 2 (Aileron) - down (or NORM)
Channel 3 (Elevator) - up (or REV)
Channel 4 (Rudder) - up (or REV)
Channel 5 (Gear) - down (or NORM)
Channel 6 (Pitch) - up (or REV)
Channel 7 (AUX2) - up (or REV)

I think this is right at this point. Maybe I won't need to change my curves but I wonder if changing them might make for a more gentle approach to my (hopefully) first successful hover with the SR. I'm a bit tired of crashing the thing!

Thanks,
Ben
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Simulators / Training All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: