Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

600 nitro to electric

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:39 am
PostPost subject: 600 nitro to electric

Recently acquired most of a Hirobo Shuttle 600 Nitro airframe minus engine, with Align boom and tail drive-box completely disassembled. Thinking of converting it to electric using the original clutch drive assembly, servo configuration, and synchromesh tail drive. These old standard size servos are quite slow, so will replace with faster digital servos.

It came complete with Sanwa SG-X Amenity electro-mechanical gyro paired with servo, modern antique so I'll not be using it.

First step power train 6S, Gartt 1220KV 2100w, and Hobbywing 100A ESC
and faster strong servos.
Also design and scratch built a composite/GRP fuselage Air Wolf style I think. Wink
That's it hiding behind my Align 450 Xl

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:55 am
PostPost subject:

Looks quite a monster Burgess, should be an interesting build and an exciting first test flight! Shocked

Tom.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:59 am
PostPost subject:

At long last I'm able to get back to working on the Shuttle, for now progress will be on a cost effective basis, so I've retained the original flybared main rotor head.
Setting up the main rotor head on any fly-bared head centres on everything being dead-on perpendicular to the main shaft at zero degrees and concentric when revolving. So I'm constructing a jig-set,
to lock-up the blade holders and flybar control frame at zero degrees and this makes it easier to set the flybar paddles at zero degrees.
I'm using bamboo seed markers from Wilko's handy size Wink.

As one of the early designs, the Shuttle has a 90 swash-plate, with individual servos for cyclic controls (elevator & aileron), and one for collective pitch. So reasonable stall-torque , quick response, and something lightning fast with high stall-torque for yaw control Smile
Just found these at Banggood.com, more than I wanted to spend this month, but they seem to be just the jobbies I'm looking for, here's the spec:

https://www.banggood.com/JX-BLS-HV7032MG-30KG-Large-Torque-High-Voltage-Brushless-Digital-Servo-p-1074869.

Brand: JX Servo
Item: BLS-HV7032MG
Dead band: 1µs 1520µs / 330hz
Motor: Brushless motor
Max angle: 180°
Operating Voltage: DC 4.8V-8.4V
Operating Speed: (6.0V) 0.09 sec/60°
Operating Speed: (8.4V) 0.07 sec/60°
Stall Torque: (6.0V) 26.3 kg.cm (364.96oz/in)
Stall Torque: (8.4V) 32.51kg-cm 451.18 oz/in)
Dimensions: 40.5X20.5X36mm /1.59 X0.80X1.43 in
Weight: 70g
Bearing: 2BB

I'm leaning towards a using a 10S or 12S power-train, with separate power supply for avionics.

Next year, when I've finished the scale-like fuzz, I'd like to fit a good quality multi-blade head have to see what the fat guy in a red suit brings Smile

Burgess
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:14 am
PostPost subject:

Also needed a larger pitch-gauge for these 600 blades, so I designed one, printed-off the drawing and stuck it onto a thin foam board peatza base.

Burgess
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 am
PostPost subject:

As always necessity is the mother of creation. Well done.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:46 am
PostPost subject:

Thank's Keith,

Next will be the blade holder locking-plate jig, paddle levelling sighting plates, and a levelling tool for this four-armed swashplate.
Could make a spacer type under the swashplate, as I've made for the Walkera Dragonflys 400s, but those don't verify perpendicularity to the main shaft.

At present there are three Align gyros up for sale all around £30.00:
GP750 Heading hold
3GX flybarless
3G FL760 flybarless

I've a 3G on one 450, Gpro on the five-blade head 450, and while there has been issues with early 3GX software, the latest update seem to have cured the problems.
While the Shuttle is remaining flybared for the near future, I'm tempted to grab this 3gx and just set-up the rudder channel for now. Smile

Burgess
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:35 am
PostPost subject:

Progress with the Shuttle conversion is slow, the logistics of setting in to a new location has taken-up most of my time, that and cracked ribs.
Not being able to source a levelling tool for 90 degree swash-plate, I've made my own to fit 8mm and 10mm main shafts.

I want to complete the conversion using the 90 degree swash just for the hell of it. Now have a crystalline design idea for reconfiguring the servo layout to push-pull action to control a 120 degree swash-plate, and that will allow the use a flybarless system thereafter.

First though, I just have to do a service replacement of brakes pads all round, front rotors and drop links and may be shocks too.

Hopping to get something flying this coming weekend Wink

I've seen 222 GRP fuze -not in the best condition- for sale £60.00 asking price, in Scunthorpe, collection only 400 mile round trip, and taking into account cost of fuel, that'll round-up to about £200, then the cost of bring it up to presentable condition. For around £300.00 I could purchase a really nice pristine kit.

http://jettechmodels.com/funkey-scale-fuselage-50-600-size/

Although would like to fabricate my own fuz....the kit is VERY tempting Razz

Burgess
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:35 am
PostPost subject:

Very professional Swash leveling tool Burgess, there is also a way you can do it with a cable tie and a bit of paper that works well. I had to use it on the Agile 5.5 when I didn't have a leveling tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSHXW9Sv1bQ&feature=youtu.be
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:19 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks Keith, yeah that method is ok for checking the swash in static positions, however, servos may have slight variations in response to control inputs. So as the collective is rased or lowered one or two servos may lead or lag, it only needs a very small dissimilarity of movement and the swash will deflect away from perpendicularity. If so, may be mechanical gear train or electronic variations.

Burgess
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: