600 size Mi-24...started work on it.

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Scale Helis

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Casa Grande AZ, USA. 66 and yes! Heli's reverse aging!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:20 am
PostPost subject: 600 size Mi-24...started work on it.

This will be a long slow build, but will throw out a post now and then on the progress.

I have been working on the main landing gear for about two months now...off and on. I have the gear set up pretty much the way the Mil Design Bureau did the real thing.

Many thanks to a Gent named FishRider (on another forum) for a hint or two on the actuation. I tried to improve on his approach, but kept coming back to nearly the same design. Both rely heavily on the Mil full scale gear, but needing to actuate with a single 90 degree throw landing gear actuator that is available to us model builders was a challenge.

The results look almost scale and work with spring shock absorption. All gear doors operate in the correct sequence and look really good in operation.

The gear, doors and all servos are mounted to a removable section that as the name indicates, can be removed for service and such.

A few still teaser pictures for the time being.....

"Till later ...."

ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:31 am
PostPost subject: A few more views....

Main gear in the down position. Arrows indicate the needed adjustments to close up the gaps when in the retracted position.

Shows the closed position. Five screws hold the belly portion and rear gear doors in position on the fuselage.

Main gear extended and rear doors and servos removed.
[img]http://www.electric-rc-

Main gear and front door servos.helicopter.com/phpbb/userpix/5726_dsc00048_1.jpg[/img]

Front bulkhead view, Six bolts hold bulkheads together.

Main gear detail.

Mains retracted

Missing the door connecting rods, but ready to go.

Rear door servos.

All closed up, just need gap adjustments.

Looks like a mess but it will all work out!

Pretty much the way they sit when installed.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:40 pm
PostPost subject:

Fantastic piece of gear there Dave. Excellent work on the U/C.

Tom.
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Dave , thank you for sharing your project with us, your attention to detail is breathtaking. You have a gift my friend, I and hope our comment help you to continue your journey. We wish you luck and look forward to seeing this in the air.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:22 pm
PostPost subject:

Landing gear looking good there Dave.
It is really great to see someone scratch building scale helicopters. It is always a challenge to get the construction scale looking and robust enough for model flight.

Burgess
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:49 pm
PostPost subject:

Many thanks for the kind and encouraging words.

This was my first attempt at fiberglassing and it came out about as I expected for a first attempt. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but workable. The bubbles over the main wheels were a b***h!

There are five servos operating the main gear and doors and two more up front to operate the nose wheel and door. Seven servos for gear operation? Who would have "thunk it".

I will NOT be going super scale with rivets and such, but did decide to add as much exterior detail as I am capable of producing from styrene, balsa, wire and fiberglass. The paint was a no brainer. Factory paint (gray/white/green) was all wrong. To add insult to injury, the factory paint was chipping and pealing from the day I unpacked the parts! I have stripped all the old paint and (really bad) primer and as the photos show, shot her in primer gray for this part of the build. Finished paint wil be.......

Keep an eye on my six....I'm rolling in! Exclamation
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:39 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Dave,

Looking real good there, I know what you mean with slow builds, I'm having problems with body strength with the EC145, I've tried a couple of thing that I haven't been happy with. I'm on no time frame to have it finished so it sits on the back burner while I go on with other things, I don't want to put something out there that I'm not happy with.

But I would be very happy with your U/C job it is excellent job.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 am
PostPost subject: Hey there Keith...

Please elaborate on the "....body strength with the EC135..."

I am following your progress and would like to have a better handle on your problem...perhaps share some insight?
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:45 am
PostPost subject: Just another delay.....

I have been away from the building bench for some weeks now. My daughter who lives with us (L-O-N-G story) has blessed us with a new Grandson! As her husband (I said long story!) is not in the picture my wife and I have stepped in to fill that spot as best we could. This should be a joyous time after all!

8 lbs and 6 oz and near as bald as I am!!

Add to this adventure...my wife insisted she get a Hot Tub/Spa as an offset to my expenditures on heli's! I have had to prepare a spot, make that a 12x24 foot patio (4m x 8m?) and a Pergola to cover it and my time has been at a premium to attend to my hobby. This domestic necessity should be concluded in the next week or so and I should be able to turn my attention back to the Hind!
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:05 am
PostPost subject: Re: Hey there Keith...

ferretmaster wrote:

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on the new grandson, I've just been informed we have another on the way but that's months away yet.

When I cut the body on the EC 145 the area that I made the main vertical cut in is a bit on the narrow side and I'm really going to have to use FG to strengthen it, it is mainly just getting around to it that's causing the issues I do most of my work in the house but I hesitate to do the FG work there, so I need to clean up an area in my shed to use and just keep getting side tracked with other projects.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:19 am
PostPost subject: Re: Hey there Keith...

admiral wrote:
ferretmaster wrote:

I do most of my work in the house but I hesitate to do the FG work there, so I need to clean up an area in my shed to use and just keep getting side tracked with other projects.

Admiral;

As can be seen in one of my other postings ("work area almost set up") I too work indoors. FG was an issue until I discovered that for the smaller jobs of joining and reinforcing parts and such I no longer use the FG resin/hardener that smells so bad and REQUIRES major ventilation. I use 30 min epoxy glue. Shocked You may already be doing this, but if not, I have found the smell of the EPOXY curing is quite tolerable. Modest ventilation is all that is required.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Scale Helis All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: