Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> S.R.B Quark

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arune
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:40 am
PostPost subject: Another Zealous Convert

I just got into helis and such a short time ago with a Blade CX2. Not being satisfied with the promises vs. performance, I upgraded one CX2 with aluminium and a second with the full EXxtreme makeover. Neither were very successful, in my opinion.

Now, I got the CX2 for the normal reaons - a local hobby shop carried them and parts, a big deal in northern Canada. It was not until I started to dig around more on the Internet that I discovered teh Quark and several forums dedicated to it. Looking it up on the Web, few entries (compared with others) but I noted se veral things. Firstly, the vast and overwhelming majority loved the little beast with very few negative comments (save price) and many flew the Quark in prefernece to bigger name, size and price machines. Hmmmm That told me something.

I had also leart, by this time, that any bird which offers hop-ups probably needs them out of the box and that if a bird does not break, you really don't need a local supplier of spare parts. Older and wiser, I hope, I started to really dig aound on the Quark, which led me here - the friendliest forum I found on this strange heli.

So here I am.

Now, I have not yet bought a Quark but am saving dimes and pennies to do so in December. Double the price - gulp! In Canada, unless someone knows something I don't, I could not find any dealer, let alone one closer to the Pacific, save for teh distributor in Montreal. Fair enough - Mark was very helpful and I am sure will respond well when I order. Hopefully that will be soon, and thereafter he promises quick service on parts. Second backup is in th Stsates, to the few dealers who both carry the helis *and* the parts. Perhaps someone has made a list of these so they do not remain a great secret. Even a Google fails to turn up many! One in Arizona, one in the Midwest or close. That does for a start but are any others known and reliable. Yes, I do intened to get spare blades and ???? just in case...

Now, diligent searching reveils only two "upgrades". The first are carbon fibre blades (main and tail) from one supplier. Anyone tired these? Rather defeats the purpose of including foam blades and, I suppose, you only need 'em if you break the others, and the key to that is not to break anything. The second, on one that seems a good deal, are alternative batteries so you do not blow $75 a pop. There are tow now known, one from Arizona, the other from the alternative. Anyone tired these? Comments???

I do love the fact that there appear to be no upgrades of hop-ups other than these, That tends to indicate that the bird flys as designed. If it doesn't break, you don't need to fix it.

Does anyone know of a scan of the manual? I would like to read this before the heli arrives and can't seem to find one on line. I can find the manual for jsut about every other heli.

While the pages of magazines do offer many temptations, I intend this to be my only heli and only rc toy, so the stock recieier and such will do just fine. The stock charger should carry its load as well, given a few more batteries. Wonderful!!!

There are two modifications that do attract me.

The first are navigation ligths, to fly at night. An yoen tried this and if so, which type and how did you hook them up. One video of night flying is fantastic but no lights!

The second is to mount as wanted a FlyCamOne2 onboard. This doe snot need a source of power, so I imagine a few velcro holders under the battery case should do the job nicely.

After that, I have no desire to do 3d or anything else - just have heli fun in the backyard or in parks. One machine - the best I can find - is just great for my purposes. And I have teh Helimaster flight sim to play with until the Quark arrives once I figure out the settings to use.

On the other hand, that Spitfire does look very nice and the Sea Fury is remarkable. But then I would need.... Nope. One oney, a Quark.

Willow Razz

P.S. Not only a pilot, but a female pilot....
silhouette015
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:09 am
PostPost subject:

Arune,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I personally own a Quark and I can vouch for the fact that it does fly the way its supposed to right out of the box. So in that regards, you can rest assured. In fact, I think you've read this many times but it flies so stable and is of such a good size that I now fly it much more often than my bigger helis (so much so that they are now collecting dust). But one thing that I should tell you is that it does fly right out of the box but you will need to do a little adjustments. I bought mine with a friend and for both of ours we had to adjust the blade tracking and the gyro gain just a bit until it flies extremely stable. These adjustments are very easy to carry out and we had it nailed down in about an hour.

As for the upgrade parts. Personally, I think carbon fiber blades (there are also guides to laminate your blades on the internet) are not a good idea. I say this for two reasons. First - the blades are very cheap and are already truly expendable. Second and more important is that the foam blades are designed to absorb the impact in case of a crash. Have you ever watched documentaries of how F1 Cars totally breaks apart in a crash so that the parts (while breaking apart) absorbs all the impact so that the cocking and driver are injured? It's exactly the same thing. By allowing the foam blades to break, you are increasing the chance that more expensive parts of the heli stays intact.

About the battery. There are quite a few batteries that will Fit the Quark now. There is one from rctoys.com and here's the link to it. Granted you will need to do some modifications with that particular battery to get it to work. Lucky for us, there are now pre-modded battery packs especially for the quark that fits right in the slot. I seem them from time to time on eBay. I haven't bought one my self but my friend has, and he said the flight time is actually extended on those battery packs.

As for the lights and the camera. Although I've seen some of these on youtube, I don't think they would be good on the Quark because the Quark uses a low RPM technology and so adding weight to the heli can cause flight oddities. But that's just an opinion...

Lastly, welcome to the forum once again and I'm going to split this topic into a thread of its own because I think it's too interesting to be on an old thread. Wink
Arune
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:17 am
PostPost subject:

Well, thank you for your welcome!

I do a lot of research on the Internet and that is how I found the Quark - a reference here and there and following up on those. Still, now as easy as seeing a sign locally by any means...

I did take another look at the transmitter and it would seem that it lacks the fifth channel of the E-Flite. So that makes mounting the navigation lights a bit of a challenge. All on, I suppose, with perhaps a small toggle. A formidible challenge to those non-mechanical and non-electrical as am I.

I see what you mean about the carbon fibre blades. "Laminating" is an idea I shall refrain from until I have busted a few blades and seen how things do.

It has finally started to snow here. It looks like another winter of snow, melt, freeze, snow, melt, freeze. Before global warming, it was -40 or so for several months. Now, a few days of -20 or so is all we get - drat! Winter being my favourite season, I look forward. According to the predictions, this area and others to the north are the only ones to gain by global warming - more and more areas open to farming. So the Quark will not have to fly through snow too often!

Willow
Arune
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:11 am
PostPost subject:

As teh snow continues to fall outside - over a foot today - my order headed south for my Quark. I had intended to order from Montreal, but when pennies count, one has to look to the prices. Both Mark in Montreal and Greg in Ohio were wonderful, but Ohio got the order.

Mention has been made of adjustments right out of the box. I assume these are minor adjustments in the trim but does it include the swash plate too, as did the Blade CX2? Further, are the blades of the Quark suffiently well produced to avoid the balancing and boiling necessary for the CX2?

In all events, I am very happy to have rid myself of the two CX2s in my hanger to replace both with one Quark.

Now, with all this snow about, I doubt that a fall will damage all that much!@!!!

Willow Razz
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> S.R.B Quark All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: