Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:49 am
PostPost subject:

Hello 19Dadio54,

I sent you a PM with a copy of some very helpful instructions from tombo242 that assisted me in determining to replace the tail rotor assembly for the 9116.

This is a really nice helo that up until the tail rotor motor let go I was, like yourself, having a lot of fun with.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance and hopefully you will get your 9116 back up in the air in short order.

Yes indeed this is very fun hobby and is one I am truly enjoying!

Anyhoo,
Tony

BlitzRCWorks Contra
Double Horse 9116
Blade mSR X
magyarbacsi
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:49 am
PostPost subject: anyone flying 9116

The 9104 and 9116 have similar tail drives in that a small pinion drives a larger gear that is directly connected to the tail rotor. Look at the large gear and check for missing teeth.My 9104 began to spin and I found that the tail gear was stripped. The blade turned, but under load trying to counter the torque, it was not enough. Now the bad part. The gear is not available without the entire tail boom assembly. If I remember right, the 9116 tail boom is $12, the 9104 was $6. You can pull the gear from the 9104 and replace the worn 9116's, if that is the problem. Hold the tail blade and turn the copter on, giving left, right inputs and listen for the motor to run. If it can run without the tail rotor turning, it's the gear.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 am
PostPost subject: 9116 on amazon

They have the Double Horse 9116 on Amazon for $97.50 + shipping. I've been thinking of getting it. But for now I'm buying the 120SR because I already have the radio for the MCX and was told it would bind to the 120SR. I really like the Blade heli's.
Sponsor

carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:01 am

They have the Double Horse 9116 on Amazon for $97.50 + shipping. I've been thinking of getting it. But for now I'm buying the 120SR because I already have the radio for the MCX and was told it would bind to the 120SR. I really like the Blade heli's.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:01 am

morety324
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:50 am
PostPost subject: 9116 dh 4 channel heli

hey guys sounds like we all in same boat lol. my tail rotor still works but had a crash and broke the main rotor support. waiting on parts to. miss flying it even thinking of getting another then when one is broken i have other one to fly...or both be on the bench needed parts. great heli i really like it
lpnb
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:09 am
PostPost subject: loving the 9116

Hi,
first time here. I also have a 9116 that I bought myself for xmas. I have to say I was quite amazed at how much fun this thing is. I had buit a carbon trex 450 a couple years back and basically gave up on it due to expense of repairs and constant crashing. This little guy is just perfect for me to learn the basics of nose in flying (I found this very hard to learn) but now after aprox. 40-50 flights I can fly without crashing. the range is not bad with the 2.4ghz system and it seems nice and responsive. not great in the wind but with practice I am able to managed the wind o.k. now. and you can really get some speed up with a dive and some jabs of the pitch stick. I recon close to 50km/h

I went and bought 2 other 800mah lipos and they plug straight in, but you will need a lipo charger (I had one already, don't use the Li-Ion one that it came with.) flight time is dramatically improved and seems to have a bit more power....Oh and I velcroed the bottom of the heli, that way I can move the batterys forwards to get a bit of forward bias for more speed....seems to work o.k. and allows for really fast battery changes.

My tail rotor is smashed up, the tail boom has dents all over it and the whole thing is held together with cable ties but I ordered another tail assembly just in case. I have replaced the main shaft and blade grips and a couple of ball links but never a blade despite some very fast nose dives and many smashes into trees etc.

I have learned one thing and that is to cut the throttle at any sign of crashing, saves a LOT of damage!

I have had two servos die so I orderd some other brand 3.7g servos.

hmm....oh yeah, I also moved the board down to where the battery used to be, I found it is more protected there, sometimes during a crash and really fast pitch changes I find the flubar weights hit the canopy and has smashed a hole in it....right underneath the electronics sit....very exposed.

one more tip that I found, make sure the heli is level and stable when you switch it on and wait for the beep and the servos to twitch and then turn on the transmitter....seems to make a difference with trim etc. also I found one servo was not moving the same amount as the other and this made it difficult to trim.

one complaint that I do have is the tail rotor is not powerful enough. under heavy throttle there is not enough power to piro to the right....I thought i had lost control until I reallised that I could get it to spin the other way.

thats it for now....sorry for running on.
morety324
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:00 am
PostPost subject:

I like your post about your heli Ipnb. I am wondering which brand of batteries you purchased. I have order two more 650 mah but 800 mah could be found i would prefer them. I also have a question about how you moved the electronic. Was eveything up plug from it then plugged back in. How did you fix it to the frame body, are there screw hole or did you need to drill them. I am waiting patiently for parts but like the changes you have mentioned. Look forward to your reply
lpnb
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:25 pm
PostPost subject:

morety324 wrote:
I like your post about your heli Ipnb. I am wondering which brand of batteries you purchased. I have order two more 650 mah but 800 mah could be found i would prefer them. I also have a question about how you moved the electronic. Was eveything up plug from it then plugged back in. How did you fix it to the frame body, are there screw hole or did you need to drill them. I am waiting patiently for parts but like the changes you have mentioned. Look forward to your reply

Hi Morety324, thanks Smile

They are just some no name brand ones....from the local hobby shop. Aztech was on of them I think. Any 2s 7.4v 800mah Li-Po will do, there are heaps on Ebay. BUT you will need to buy a Li-Po charger, you can't use the one you got with the heli.....it might work but I believe it is not a good idea. Most of them won't fit where the old one was. I used some adhesive velcro.

I'll go take a pic of the board....
[img]

[/img]

I chopped off the little piece of plastic that the board mounts to and use the battery bracket to hold the board in place. Not pretty but it works. the wires for the motor are JUST long enuff to reach. as you can see in the pic I have a piece of foam under the circuit board.

I am actually having a problem where the right servo seems to travel way too far and I have actually wrecked 2 servos cause it goes further than it is supposed to and overloads it....I know it is the controller cause I replaced the servo and the control board already, no dice! need to figure out how to reset it.
bildnfly
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:31 am
PostPost subject: DH 9116

I bought the DH 9116 from Banana Hobby $79 + shipping. Not happy w/their cust service - however heli arrived in exc condition and works good. Chinese english on Tx directions is difficult to interpret as their english is terrible.

Anyway, had a hard landing and now tail rotor spins incessantly causing right clockwise spinning out of control. Full left rudder has only minor effect so I am thinking circuit board. Another hobby shop selling DH but not 9116 says that is probably the case.
It is my first heli other than Airhogs and I and my 15 yr old daughter seem to enjoy it. We plan on ordering Phoenix sim and a nice coax for her and another 4 ch fixed pitch for her as well as someday a blade mcpx for me Smile...

anyone else having circuit bd issues such as this? Other than that (after having for 1 1/2 days) I like it.

Thanks.
lpnb
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:46 pm
PostPost subject: Re: DH 9116

Hi Bildnfly, I have maybe a similar problem where there is very little tail authority when the battery voltage starts to drop. as it drops further it basically spins around constantly. Now I replaced the receiver board but it still does the same thing. it is o.k. with a fresh battery but 30% down and it is starting to get very hard to fly under power. I think it is the tail motor starting to fail as opposed to the board. I have a new one coming so i hope it sorts the problem.

good luck with yours.....they are fun to fly, but I am only a beginner so don't have too much to compare to.

cheers.

bildnfly wrote:
I bought the DH 9116 from Banana Hobby $79 + shipping. Not happy w/their cust service - however heli arrived in exc condition and works good. Chinese english on Tx directions is difficult to interpret as their english is terrible.

Anyway, had a hard landing and now tail rotor spins incessantly causing right clockwise spinning out of control. Full left rudder has only minor effect so I am thinking circuit board. Another hobby shop selling DH but not 9116 says that is probably the case.
It is my first heli other than Airhogs and I and my 15 yr old daughter seem to enjoy it. We plan on ordering Phoenix sim and a nice coax for her and another 4 ch fixed pitch for her as well as someday a blade mcpx for me Smile...

anyone else having circuit bd issues such as this? Other than that (after having for 1 1/2 days) I like it.

Thanks.
Kent P.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:37 pm
PostPost subject: My Take and Experiance

Well here is my take on this 9116 subject. Got mine for Christmas and right away crashed it a dozen times and broke a rotor blade. Found Fela (thanks to this group) and got new parts and some training/ landing gear and went to work. I can now hover the machine but also have had some trouble with the rudder motor. Was Flying one day and the chopper just started spinning and like some of you said was not controllable with full rudder input. So I checked connections and found that one of the wires at the motor was pinched by the little plastic cover and I fixed that. I worked for about 2 minuets and the motor quit all together. I got some 3 in one oil and lubed the motor at the armature bushings and at the shaft that holds the tail prop, and it has been working ever since. I have ordered a new tail section in case it does quit again and cannot be rejuvenated again. This is a really fun machine to learn on and I plan on keeping it going even after I get my T-rex up and running. Thanks for all the help from all of you and keep on flying.
Kent P.
2 Align 450 SE V2 "Baby & Bonsai"
Learning to fly when you don't have wings, coming down is the hardest thing.
bildnfly
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:13 am
PostPost subject: 9116 tail rotor

Hi Guys,

My tail rotor motor is not the problem as it goes full tilt almost right away. That is why I am thinking c. board. Full left rudder input does have an effect, however minimal at high throttle, but mid throttle or less, the heli wants to spin in clockwise fashion uncontrollably.

Glad to know that there are others who bought this thing that can give feedback whether it's pos or neg Smile

Bild...
TonyD
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:55 am
PostPost subject:

Hello All,

I received the parts I ordered from feala.com last week and today had an opportunity to exchange the tail rotor / motor assembly. Exchanging the tail rotor / motor assembly was rather easy with no issues noted.

Charged the helo up and took it up into the air and was pleasantly happy that everything operated as expected, that is until I crashed. After crashing it I can not not get the rcvr to sync up too the tx, I have inspected everything that can be inspected on the board and can see nothing wrong.

Anyone experience this before? Any suggestions where too look for the problem?

Could thing the mSR X is just a charge away!

Anyhoo,
Tony

BlitzRCWorks Contra
Double Horse 9116
Blade mSR X
bildnfly
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:11 pm
PostPost subject:

Hey TonyD,

I have started to notice similar problems with mine. Yesterday, the heli almost seemed as if it "fixed itself" and the tail rotor seemed to react to input commands and fly somewhat correctly. I was flying in my basement though and not much room to get a good feel.

Upon shutting off to do some work (for about 10 minutes Wink ), I started it back up again and noticed that servos did not center and react to any input at all even though it was fully charged. I didn't do anything other than using the "bigger hammer" approach, that is, I shook the heli a couple of times and wiggled some wires on the board and it then started to work again on its own after another 5 minuites of sitting there Shocked .

I don't quite know what is going on but a new board is on it's way from good 'ol China and upon arrival/changing it out, my hope is that it will cure all ailments.

Keep us posted on your progress.

BTW, I bought my 15 yr. old daughter a Syma 107 coaxial for 1st heli as she likes it too. We plan on getting a Dx7 or Dx8 transmitter, Phoenix flight sim and a couple of nice 6 ch helis. Maybe by summer, I will be ready for a nice 450 class like Align or something!

Bild...
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion