Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Anyone flying Double Horse 9116?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:05 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Metalwizard,

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your woes.

Your learning a couple of lessons very early here:

1. Cheap is not always cheerful, what the better quality helicopter loose in price at the time of purchase is normally made up later by availability of parts and after sales service.

2. Tail motors are the bane of your life I have several helis with tail motors and only the Blade MSR has any longevity, the mCP X is not too bad but the 120 SR I always have to have a spare on hand. Having said that I had one that packed up on the second flight the other week and the LHS was only too happy to replace it under warranty.

I would be looking at what is available locally to you, they want to keep your business, they will look after you, as you said the overseas warehouse type of operation are only interested in current transaction.

I must say that I have had reasonable after sales service from Hobbyking though.
metalwizard
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:09 am
PostPost subject:

Admiral,

Thanks so much..

Ok Banana hobbies is in socal so I thought it would be easy to deal with them.. a hobby store here??? YEAH RIGHT I live in a little town we have two hobby stores. one is basically RC cars. they have one heli in the shop I think its a blade coaxial.. and NO parts for it.

the other hobby store is 32 miles from me and its the size of my living room, as a matter of fact i think it is his living room converted. he's pretty nice guy pretty savi but hes more an RC plane guy. he does have some Blade stuff too.

I agree. cheap isnt always the best. but I hoped that this one would last me a few months.. no just a few flights..

So I tried calling banana hobbies and got told basicaly Screw you you have to e-mail us and wait for us to get back to you. so after a couple days they did get back to me.. he asked me to see if the rotor spins freely.. i said yes it does, next day he replies the motor is probably bad
and it is under warranty.

Cool ... NOT he said they will ship one out to me. typical time is 7 working days to get it in the mail then 2 or 3 days to ship...

Yep i am basically screwed till it gets here.

I kind of wanted to buy something nice like a trex, but I figured that might be a step to complex to learn on. and at $500 compared to 75 bucks I was hoping the 75 buck copter would at least get me to the point I am ready for a 500 dollar heli.

have you flown anything like the t-rex? are they able to be flown "small" until you get the hang of it?? I am a fast learner, I totally understand how collective and cyclic pitch work and how they effect a heli... its just stick time i lack .

Thanks for the input. I'll update when the rotor motor arrives.. but honestly I'm not convinced thats whats wrong.. and to have to wait another two weeks if its not.. stinks. I figured sincethey showed all the parts on their website they would be easy to get.. but obviously the only thing easy was running my credit card.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:37 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi metalwizard:

Welcome to the Forum. a double horse 9116 is junk. Mainly because it has a tail motor plus it‘s a one time sale item. Any helicopter with a tail motor is a problem.

I know this is not want you want to hear but it's the truth. I had lots of RC helicopters that had tail motors when I started flying Helicopters. Nothing but trouble.

I still have an MSR & MSR-X that have tail motors. They are trouble but fly well and parts are available anywhere. But the tail motors always will let you down. I use the MSR'S for inside flying and have them because they are Blade which are considered good equipment.

If you enter a search argument on the forum looking for the Double Horse 9116 you will see the same question. It's broke right away. With in a couple days and you can’t get parts.

XHELI.com has parts for it (double horse 9116) if you are willing to fight the problem helicopter thing. But if I was you I'd get a kit RC 6 channel AXI helicopter from XHELI or Hobby King and get the parts you need and then get help to built it. If your going to be an RC helicopter guy you'll need to know how to repair and how everything works and is set up. This forum is super for helping newbie's out. Also get a good 6 channel transmitter like a Spektrum DX6I or a Futaba. Personally I like the DX6I because of cost but it’s like Fords and Chevy’s.

I bought a AXI pro from XHELI.com and started building it. I was really in a mess. But asked for help on the forum and got lots of help. There are also lots of videos with a ton of knowledge on building and RC helicopter set up. I've crashed allot and when repairs a needed I ask for help on how and what to do and the forum come’s thought for me. I'm almost self sufficient now. ALMOST.

I still use my secret weapon (tombo242) though. Tombo242 sent me a listing via email no how to set up and B400 which is my favorite heli. It's so helpful that I can pretty much get her done with that.

DO your self a favor and trash the $ 75.00 helicopter and write it off to experience. Get your self a good helicopter and start really enjoying the hobby. I know that $ 469.00 is a lot of money for toys but Blade has a B450 that comes with a DX6I programmable radio. That’s a great place to start if you serious about being a RC Helicopter guy.

Now I'll go back on everything I just said in writing. The Blade single rotor little bitty RC helicopters are not real expensive. Parts are available everywhere. They will give you lots of fun and you will learn repairs. I'm talking about the MSR & Msr-X. They have tail motors but of all the tail motor helis they seem to last the longest.

PS: I've had allot of trouble with my MSR-X. I think it may be a dud. I've been raising hell with Horizon hobby about it.

My 2 cents worth.

Good luck.

jack
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:56 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi metalwizard,

I have a Flasher 500 they are a T-Rex clone, yes they can be flown small, they are easier to fly because they are very predictable, but I'm always more cautious when flying it than I am with the 450 because I know it's going cost more if I crash.
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:38 pm
PostPost subject: post subject

Wise words pjdog.
metalwizard
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:16 pm
PostPost subject:

Thank you to all three of you guys. good word!

I kind of expected this to be a throw away but not that quick..

I have been poking around to see what to go up to THe one hobby store thats about 30 mins from me does have "blade" copters. so that may be the way to go for now.

I know this is off topic for this thread but Is the Blade SL RTF a good choice. it appears to have collective pitch (which I have NEVER flown) so I am a little worried about that.

My other worries are the electric tail rotor and the fact it is all plastic. except the blades that are wood (is that wierd??)

or would this be a waste of my money too?

thanks
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:25 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Metalwizard,

I don't know the Blade SL, if it is the Blade SR your looking at leave it in the store, it is the only blade I recommend against. Same Tail motor problems and very difficult to keep in trim.
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:55 am
PostPost subject: post subject

More wise words from admiral.
The blade sr is awful to learn on. You just cant trust the tail motor.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:31 am
PostPost subject:

The blade SR was my first collective pitch. I put a Huey body on it. Dame that looked good. It lasted a week. The body blew up when the main (Woodies) flexed and destorted the body. Like a fool I ordered another body and parts to fix the SR.

I sold it at a big loss.

Again - Get a kit and have the forum boys help you build it. Get a Programmable TX and have the forum boys help you set it up. For the Money a Spektrum DX6I but theres always the more expensive Futaba. I would think The futabe is the best but more Paysos.

You can always to what I ended up doing. Buy a B400 (or now the B450) with the DX6I radio for a wopping $ 469.00 and your in.

The bigger collective pitch helis with a progarmable radio flie like a baby. you can slow them down to float like a butter fly and sting like a bee.

NO TAIL MOTORS. Got it. NO TAIL MOTORS. They suck.

Good Luck - keep us posted as to your progress.

jack
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:40 am
PostPost subject:

+1 on that Jack,

I could NEVER recommend a tail motored heli, major failure point for most. If they can't do better than that - leave it in the shop where it belongs.

Tom.
metalwizard
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:33 am
PostPost subject:

SO basically I am screwed. I can't get anything that does NOT have an electric tail motor. the ONLY hobby shop I have in town does not have anything except the blade copters.. so if I buy something else I wont have any support.

I guess it's back to big ass rockets with TONS of thrust....

admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Metalwizard,

The largest helicopter that I would go with that has a Tail motor is the Blade 120SR it is fixed pitch and a great machine to learn on, however always keep a spare tail motor or two on hand.

The 120 is great fun much more exciting than coaxial and takes a fair bit of punishment.
lightning
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:10 pm
PostPost subject:

Welcome Metal Wizard ,I see you are a part time rocket scientist .Totally impressive .My closest LHS is hundreds of kilometres away and they're not that comprehensive .So it's the States or China for parts ,or pay through the nose for the odd available piece .Not saying you have to be , but I have to be patient .That is a nice bit of rocket engineering .
metalwizard
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:28 am
PostPost subject:

THanks for the input guys. I think I may have to go with the 120 just because that is my easiest choice to get easy service and parts.

Lightning,

Thanks for the compliment. I have been a rocket junkie for YEARS.. as a matter of fact thats how I make my living. so I am getting burned out on building flying and attending launches thats why the shift to Helis... I really need a hobby to get away from big ass rockets..
Technician
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:24 am
PostPost subject: 9116 not crap

Hey HeliManiacs,

I am a professional RC helicopter technician, and while I do work on and mostly own 6 channel very expensive helis, I do love the 9116. I mean we are so lucky that this technology is available so cheap to us. 2 years ago this stuff was just an idea. Keep this in mind, the 9116 is $80 and flies amazing. Anything stock is going to kind of suck. But there are a lot of cool mods for the 9116. I have a repair service for helis and we do upgrades for this heli all the time. Put a 180 pro xtreme motor in it, a 850mAh 25C battery and we have developed an amazing new tail motor that no one else has. It will hold the tail no matter what you could ever do to her. Check the pics of the tail motor on my site, and hit me up if you would like one, or the whole upgrade.
http://www.rchelicopterrepairservice.com/Photo-Gallery.html
[/b]
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: