Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Belt CP

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackHabuman
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:42 am
PostPost subject: Belt-CP fire

I recieved my Belt-Cp in the mail while stationed on Okinawa. I was excited and ready to get started. Charged the Li-po battery and installed it to begin my trims for flight. As I began to increase the throttle, the brushless speed controller caught on fire. I unplugged the battery and put the fire out. Any ideas of what might have caused this? Should I just replace the speed controller or the whole helicopter? Question
silhouette015
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:29 am
PostPost subject:

Hello BlackHabuman,

What kind of battery did you use? When fires break out this like, the most likely culprit is some kind of short circuit and they are mostly due to defective batteries.

On the other hand, a brand new helicopter shouldn't have caught on fire (unless it really badly crashed or something). This is especially true for electrically powered models. I think you should take it back to the shop and have it replaced. If it's brand new they will definitely replace the ESC, if the shop is really responsible they will replace the entire set for you.

Let us know how it goes. Cool
BlackHabuman
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:39 pm
PostPost subject: Li-po

I was using a li-po battery. The helicopter didn't event make it off the ground.
puma
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:49 pm
PostPost subject:

That's very unfortunate :S. I've heard that lipo batteries can cause fire but never actually seen one. And for it to happy to a brand new helicopter, that's shocking. Did you take it back to the shop? What did they say?
vrthai
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:15 pm
PostPost subject:

puma wrote:
I've heard that lipo batteries can cause fire but never actually seen one

I don't think it happens often but mishandling li-po batteries can definitely cause fire and in severe cases, explosions. Follow this link(non-english) to see pictures of what happens li-po batteries goes bad. These picture remind us to be careful Cool . Most of these people charge at rate higher than specified on the battery package, so we all should be careful and never do that. Wink

BlackHabuman, I think your case is different because the pack is brand new. I agree with other people that you should take it back to the shop and see what they say. Hopefully, they'll replace it for you.
Mexpipe
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:51 am
PostPost subject:

I just got in to RC and have a belt cp v2 and the second time I was runing it up the same thing happened FIRE but I sent the ESC back and got a new one and have had no problems since
Riffster44004
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:21 am
PostPost subject:

Just so you know lipo batteries are seald to the air and if there is a hole as small as a pin it will flare up and catch on fire in the blink of an eye. I hate to agree with the others but I might wanna say it the battery that is teh culprite in this horrible Story

Sorry buddy I think i would Start with calling all the companises and Complaining and even get real mad go up the chain of command in the company . NO company wants bad publicity ! just a thought .
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:56 am
PostPost subject:

Most RC helicopter retail companies like Xheli.com will replace your helicopter no questions at all. Who did you get it from. I think you said that you got it in the mail? Let us know what the outcome is.

Jack
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Belt CP All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: