Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Best Fixed Pitch heli?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HIX
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:49 am
PostPost subject: Best Fixed Pitch heli?

I am looking for the best fixed pich heli for a beginner that doesn't want to toss his heli after getting the basics down. Something that I can take out and play with. Decent FF and all that.

Just to give you an idea where I am at: I have a Wasp v3 FP(well 3 of em but more on that later). The heli seems pretty good. HH gyro seems to hold well, maybe a little twitchy when the batt gets low. I like the way the belt drive tail feels. BL motor. My problem is that the damn thing is so fragile. It's almost like if I look at it wrong I'll break a link in the head or the tail pitch servo will strip out and send me directly into the wall and break ALL the links in the head. I got lucky and found a guy in town here that picked 2 of the 3d versions up and a bunch of extra parts (2 3d complete metal heads and tails) before deciding helis were too hard but I think I need to pick up something a little sturdier to finish getting comfortable with circuts and FF and is a bit easier to set back up after a crash.

So what is the best FP heli out there with a decent parts availability? Obviously being spoiled with brushless and belt drive it would be great to find one like that so I don't have to worry about tail motors or brushless mods but I have no illusions that someone makes one. I guess the best I can hope for is a good FP heli with a strong metal head design and a good user following that can help with the brushless and belt tail mods.

So what do you suggest?
tombo242
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Santo EstÍv„o, East Algarve, Portugal. 78, but still feels 18.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:51 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Hix,

Why are you limiting yourself to a FP heli? If you stay in "Normal" mode your flight will be little different in the top half of the throttle stick to a fixed pitch. You will only get a small amount of -ve pitch in the bottom half, and that is very useful to bring it down out of transitional lift. When you get bored and can progress no further in "Normal", switch to "Idle Up" and you have a whole new experience waiting when your flying on the top half of the throttle will stand you in good stead.

As for tough I think that I would avoid SkyArtec, but that is just a personal opinion. The size and power in any 400+ class heli means that even in the mildest crash things can get bent, broken or stripped.

If you really want to crash into a wall and still fly take a look at the E-Flite mSR. It lacks the weight to do much damage to itself or objects around it. However, it is very small and quite pricey!
And can still be wrecked if you try!
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:51 am
PostPost subject:

I'm with tombo on this one. With a good programmable radio a good CCPM heli can be can be tuned down to be very docile if that's what you are after.
As far as the MSR bouncing off walls & still fly... Well I did that just yesterday. I hit the side of the house, about 10 feet up and recovered before it hit the ground and just kept on flying Laughing .
Sponsor

Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: