Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

blades

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bladebuster
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:21 am
PostPost subject: blades

Hello,all, I just joined. After breaking Aprox 12 A blades & 24 B blades on my Apaches & Esky Lama V4's, I was desperate for a solution. I am now making my own blades (carbon fiber). They are virtually unbreakable, but the really exciting part in the improved performance (less torsional drag, liftoff at Much lower RPM, longer flight time, not to mention great looks). Testing has been fun & exciting. More later.
silhouette015
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:41 pm
PostPost subject:

Hello Bladebuster,

Wow that is fantastic what you're doing Very Happy Actually I'm surprised that there aren't any of these carbon fiber blades for Lamas available on the market. (Or maybe there is, but I just wasn't shopping hard enough). Anyways, it's fantastic to hear that you successfully pulled it off. Congratulations! Cool
vrthai
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:06 pm
PostPost subject:

Interesting Shocked

How were able to shape the carbon fiber into a rotor blade?

Please keep us posted. Wink
mikblizz
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:04 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi,

That sounds really cool Exclamation

Could you please attach a pic of it.. Question I would like every upgrade I can get my hands of for the lama. I'am in a cometition with a friend on how much you could bling the Esky lama.

I would really like to try Carbon Blades, we have upgraded the Lama V3 to Xtreme edition. We have also done som own improvements both to make it fly better and some cosmetic like spinning tail with eXtreme carbon tail. Really cool looking but of course ony estetic.

We use home made longer inner shaft and xtreme blade holder with white eXtreme blades to make it fly really fast Laughing We estimate we now can fly it 30-40km/h (18-25mph) Very Happy but it is really easy to go into the spiral of destruction.. and hit the ground relly hard Wink

Ooooh if you havent heard of eXtreme have a look here Arrow http://www.miracle-mart.com
puffing
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:52 am
PostPost subject:

Interesting Topic!

Bladebuster, I'd love to see those photos too.. Wink And I think lots of people would love to know how you do it too. Did you need to balance the blades at all? I've heard a lot of people tried to create their own blade but balancing was a big problem for them. Not many succeeded though, so congrats to you for pulling it off! Very Happy

Mikblizz, Thanks for the link! Very interesting online shop. I'm gonna be spending some time there after I finish typing this message. Cool By the way, do you use your FF7 to control your new Lama? A friend of mine uses his FF9 super with his Lama V3 (standard) and he said with a new radio, the Lama flew much better than before.
mikblizz
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:17 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi puffing,

Yes I yse FF7 for the Lama, have not tried to switch TX back to really feel the difference. But it is a little different if you do no settings. But you can do a lot more with computerized TX because you have more settings to trim it more.

But the thing that really make it fly hard is moving the ball link arms from swashplate to servo arm out from the heli Cool I have them second hole from outside instead of as far as it can be against the Lama (beginner) Smile This makes the controlls a lot faster = harder and you can get it really flying Twisted Evil

You "must" have minimum the ESL020 Extended Alu. Inner shaft or EK5-0206 Alu.Central hub and shaft and the ESL005-006 Xtreme Blade white or the EK1-0314 Stablilizer. If not stablilizer will fly in one direction and the lama in another.

We have had it for about 1-2 month and are daring each other to do more crasy stuff modding and in the air Rolling Eyes Last cool manover was to let the blades come to a stoft in mid air and catch it before ground and as close to ground as possible Cool You could not do it with std lama battery because it can not give the amps needed. You need extreme battery or a battery with minimum 18-20C. Std has only 10C.

It is really fun to mod it and I think we have probably done it all by now. Even measured RPM Laughing
bladebuster
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:08 pm
PostPost subject: carbon fiber blades

Hi everybody, Sorry for the slow response (wife had surgery, playing nurse). I'll try to have pic's soon - maybe next week. Thanks for all the compliments from those I sent private messages to, but I gotta' tell you truthfully, this ain't rocket science. I'm simply using a stock blade as the starting point & then experimenting. I overstated the reduction in RPM's (very close to the Extreme white blades), but torsional drag was surprisingly less, since the CF blades are marginally heavier. I think it's due to the rigidity, especially desirable for the 'B' blades. I'm running CF 'B' & Extreme 'A' blades on one of my Apache birds & it seems to work quite well. Extremes actually work great on my Esky Lama V4's, but I'm not yet sure how durable they are. If I'd discovered them earlier I may not have started out on this exciting venture. Oh, balancing -I just use a flybar with threaded ends, hang the blades 3 threads from the end, then reverse them to verify & remove weight if necessary (they should be very close to balancing if done right). Gotta go. More later, bladebuster
camoflight
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:10 pm
PostPost subject: Re: carbon fiber blades

bladebuster wrote:
I gotta' tell you truthfully, this ain't rocket science.

Hey it might no be rocket science but it's definitely awesome Cool If this was some sort of competition, you'd get my +1 Wink
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: