Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Boo

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:56 am
PostPost subject:

Me thinks the Mustang is suffering from 'Blow By'. If I under stand Blow by correctly it's when an engine gets real tired from age and either the rings are damaged or maybe even a value can be letting pressure inside the engine such that it blows the oil out.

Notice the oil standing in the intake manifold down around the bolts holding the intake to the head. Also the acellorator pump is leaking so that's why the front of the manfold under the carbutetor is wet.

I'm thinking the Mustang just needs a new turn key 289 motor.

Jack

Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:30 am
PostPost subject:

hello Jack,

A new turn key 289 motor, sound like many dalliers.

Yeah, in photo #1 it looks very much like the accelerator pump diaphragm leak.

In photo #2 the oil leeks don't look too bad, more like seepage from that rocker-box gasket.

Do a few checks:
Is there an oil slick under the car after you've driven for a while and park-up, or over night?
Is there any blue smoke from the exhaust, or even a cloud when you punch the gas?
Do you have to keep topping up the oil?
Pull the dipstick and check the oil, rub some between finger and thumb any sign of glittering particles.
Check the colour if very dark sign of carbon from burnt oil.
Does the oil smell of fuel [I keep wanting to say petrol]?
Remove the spark plugs and see what colour they are black?
When the engine has warmed up to running temp, are there any knocking or loud rattling sounds from the engine at all?
Has your buddy got a compression tester?

Burgess
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:31 pm
PostPost subject:

Yepper - Buddy does have a compression tester.

When the car sits for a long time like a month or two when you first start the car the right side of the V8 (which is the side we are looking at) does smoke for a while. Only the right tail pipe. After maybe five minutes it will stop. Does NOT smoke when you punch it. I was thinking that that may be oil that has run down the value stem and has gotten into the combustion chamber.

When I first got the car from my son-in-law (Ken) two years ago she was super dirty. Outside and inside. Under the hood was an oily mess. I started by super cleaning the outside. Wash and wax. Then the inside. Kens dad smoked a pipe and it was lit all the time. Cleaning the inside was a real chore. Then I sprayed under the hood (bonnet) with gunk. Let it sit for an hour then put the pressure washer on it. Damn it came clean. Old but clean.

Ken (The son-in-law) drove the car from Ohio to St. Louis then to Palm Harbor Florida. Kens not the kind of person that checks oil or any fluids when getting gas (Petrol). He just drives. Any how, when I got the car home in Louisiana it was 2 quarts low on transmission fluid and low on oil. I just took it to the oil change place and had them change all the fluids thinking I was going to us it as a daily driver.

There is a very loud lifter. It picks loud. tick, tick, tick. The old Fords has hydraulic lifters in there 289's. Only the 289 Hipo had solids.

I was thinking of removing the right value cover and starting the car up. Look in there to see what she’s doing.

A turn key 302 is $ 2695.00. I could not fins a 289 turn key. That’s not to bad. Plus more important - Kens pays for it. That’s good for me. Bad for ken. I don’t think he wants to spend more money of the car. Kens just not a car person - even that it was his dads car just not a big deal to him.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:48 am
PostPost subject:

I've used Gunk from way-back in the 1960s, mention it now some people think your talking of dirt and grime. 'Laughing'

If every thing else is OK apart from that one lifter/valve, and if that runs quiet after the engine has warmed up, then it just may-be that one hydraulic lifter, or possibly that valve. Do a compression test on that cylinder and a couple others for a comparison. If the compression is similar to the others, then it's down to that lifter.

Why not take the value cover off and have a look.

If it involves Just replacing that one lifter and valve-stem oil seal, or may-be an exchange replacement cylinder head would be much less expensive than a full engine replacement.

It would be a shame to see classic car go.

Back in the 1970s, STP kept my old 1968 Rover 80 quiet for a long time, it would cruse at 90 plus all day without any problems. It had 4 on the floor, crash on first and 3 synchromesh with overdrive in fourth. I bypassed the selector so that I could use overdrive in first, and had it on all ratios including reverse. Made life so much easier in town with a 2.5 tune car and no power steering. 'Laughing'
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: