Build area almost set up!

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Scale Helis

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Casa Grande AZ, USA. 66 and yes! Heli's reverse aging!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:04 am
PostPost subject: Build area almost set up!

It has been a long 2-1/2 years since I last had a build area other than my dinner table in my motor home. As might be imagined this has put a BIG crunch on my builds. I have really done NOTHING but fly one 450 pod and boom and one 500 pod and boom test mules. Oh....and I kept collecting scale kits for the day that I finally moved into my new home in Arizona and could start to build again. Most all the kits I had sent to my sons home here in Casa Grande AZ as I knew he had the room (thanks to his understanding wife!!) to store them for me 'till this day arrived.

I am still not quite ready to pick up the tools and start assembly and modifying, lots of moving in left to do with my wifes permission to at least set up the shop area some. I thought that I would tease you all just a bit with what I have been looking forward too for so long. Some of these builds will be pretty cool, especially the Mi-24 Hind.

The Thunder Tiger AH1-W has been flown and disassembled and put back into the box for the storage period. The rest are still waiting for the mechanics to be assembled, tested and heads switched out to multi-blade where appropriate. There are two 500 mechanics pictured still in the box and a 600 not pictured. Except for the 5 blade 600 size head for the Mi-24 I have all the parts (I think?!?!) to complete all of them. The A-109 CG colors will be repainted in the South African camo. the rest will all get detailing and new paint. The SH-60 will probably morf into a UH-60....not sure yet!

Updates on assembly and such will soon be following.

By the way, except for the Hind....what would you guys like to see built and reported on first? A-109, SH/UH-60, or the AH-64.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:33 am
PostPost subject:

Build whichever you feel is right Dave, let your own feelings guide you not ours. To be guided always seems to lead to trouble. DIY is my advice, that's a great set of helis, follow your heart and be happy.

Tom.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:41 am
PostPost subject:

Tom...
Great advice!

I love to build ANY heli, so in this particular instance seeing as I own them all it is just a matter of getting some thoughts as to where others interest might be piqued. If I live long enough (LOL)---oops---forgot the rules, laughing out loud...all will be built in good time, so the order was not at all important. I know I usually have more interest in a build log if it has at least an indirect bearing on a project of mine so I was attempting to get a feel for the interest level for a build log on any of these four helis.
In that regard.
The A-109, AH-64 and SH/UH-60 are all 500 size mechanics. The A-109 is a straight boom belt drive to the tail rotor. Not much finesse there.
The AH-64 has a "scorpion" tail belt driven tail rotor. I may change this to a Torque Tube with multi gearbox(s) if funds do not dry up when I get to that build. I could use the TT and gearbox(s) that I have on hand for the SH/UH-60. I would still need to replace them as they are a MUST HAVE for the UH-60. (see next).
The SH/UH-60 has a flex-drive shaft for the elevated tail rotor that I just do not trust. I have on hand the first example from Kin of SmartModel of their 500 size "scorpion" tail torque tube drive with two gear boxes. It looks to be a real beauty, but time will tell. As I write this, I think I will put it into which ever of the two mentioned helis I build first.
The Mi-24 is a 600 size machine and will be built at the same time as whichever other build is done first. It has a belt drive elevated "scorpion" tail rotor. It will have a lot more detail and experience has taught me that this will be a project that will go on for quite a while. Also I am considering putting a direct drive motor on the tail rotor. There is room in the pod on the tail to do this (I think!?) so that will take time to sort out the kinks.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:56 am
PostPost subject:

I think whatever you do build Dave, some if not all of us will be interested a build. Love to see how things go.

Tom.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:40 am
PostPost subject:

Nice collection Dave, Thombo is right build the one that feels best to you, myself I would probably go for the A-109, no complications in the tail area and would give me a chance to get back into the swing of it before I tackled the more complicated builds.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:09 am
PostPost subject:

Show us the Build. We'd love to watch.

jack
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:00 am
PostPost subject: okay guys.....

The A-109 (with slight modifications) it will be and I will post on a regular basis...in a new thread... the progress!
Nuff1974
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 pm
PostPost subject:

My word that's some kit you have going on there mate, where you find the time?
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:28 am
PostPost subject:

Nuff1974 wrote:
My word that's some kit you have going on there mate, where you find the time?

Thank you for the kind words.

Check the age under my avitar......

Retirement is great when you have a hobby like scale (or not-scale) helis.

At a minimum it keeps the old gray matter stimulated!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:27 am
PostPost subject:

Too true Dave, Very Happy

Nothing like being retired with a great hobby. I sold my business and gave up work at 67.

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Scale Helis All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: