Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Walkera

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
magyarbacsi
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:23 am
PostPost subject: converting gear drive to belt drive?

I have seen belt drive setup on copters,but only to drive the tail rotor. Are there any drives as such that drive the main rotor? I'm tired of having to replace those cheap gears that get chewed in matter of seconds. I have placed rubber bands on my throttle so when the copter is about to make a bad landing, aka crash, I let go of the throttle so it wont keep spinning while the blades are jammed. Yes, I'm a beginner with copters, but been flying planes for over 15 yrs.

There has to be some way a slip clutch or a ribbed belt drive that can be used. I don't mean to cheat the gear makers out of their cost who I suspect make a living selling tons of those purposefully made soft gears.

If there is a drive as such, who makes it or on what model is it on. I have lathes, mills and such and thinking about making a couple of pulleys for such a drive, but wonder if that is not practical or is already in use?
'
platinum
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:03 am
PostPost subject:

I only found for the real rotorcraft.
I wonder if that is not practical for the small RC!
Yes, it's smoother, quieter.

platinum

pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:00 am
PostPost subject:

You will find that being a fixed wing RC flier is really a handycap when trying to become a rotor wing flier. I broke allot of helicopter parts before I finally got the hang of it. I also had to switch transmitter modes for helicopters. I think that was the real big hold back.

jack
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 am
PostPost subject:

Interesting concept! I suspect the fact that virtually no helis use it tells the tale though. There's got to be some reason, even if it's just to keep the number of moving parts to a minimum. I would certainly be interested to hear your results though!

What heli are we talking about here anyway?
magyarbacsi
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:29 pm
PostPost subject: converting gear drive to belt drive

I have the bananahobby's Contra, flybarless that as I mentioned is the same as Walkera V200d01. I have striped, so far 2 gears and getting tired of the $4.50, plus s&h charges. Currently, I have it broken down, removed the rotor head and replace it with the CB180D parts. I will try and design a belt drive system for it or find another gear that will last. I have two Double Horse copters that I find amazingly durable. They are heavy and only a 3 channel, but my 9104 has numerous flights and oops lsnding. The main blade is still intact and so is the tail rotor. Their main rotor gear has all its teeth still and seems to be a LOT stronger than the crappy little gears like Walkeras. I may see if I can find a comprable diameter from DH models and change/modify to fit the Walkeras.

And yes, flying copters and planes seem to contradict stick input. I found that out already. My main interest is still the planes, mainly I float fly, but I wanted to do copters to fill in the times when I'm restricted to time and locations. I have a summer place with 9 acres, but trees prohibit flying planes. Maybe park flyers, so decided on copters. Good mental exercise to do both, I think
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:46 pm
PostPost subject: Re: converting gear drive to belt drive

magyarbacsi wrote:
....but I wanted to do copters to fill in the times when I'm restricted to time and locations. I have a summer place with 9 acres, but trees prohibit flying planes. Maybe park flyers, so decided on copters. Good mental exercise to do both, I think

Oh man I feel your pain, I live on a 4-acre walnut orchard. Unfortunately, once you move up to larger CPs, you're going to have the same problem as with your planes. It's so frustrating to have all that property and still have to drive out to do any kind of sport flying, or basically anything besides hovering.

I was a heli guy from the start and honestly planes bore me unless it's hardcore 3D, so I only have a few foamies. I definitely think both are great for increasing your reflexes. The stick inputs seem extremely similar to me: aileron still controls roll, elevator still controls angle-of-attack, and rudder still controls the tail/yaw.

Anyway, I think the root of your problem here isn't gear-drives in general, but rather this particular gear. Some low-quality parts are to be expected on a "Walkera-clone." I think finding a different gear that would fit would probably be ideal. Just be aware of the number of teeth (gearing ratio), and whether those teeth will mesh correctly with the motor pinion. But if you decide to try a pulley system, definitely let us know how well it works.

Good luck!
magyarbacsi
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:56 am
PostPost subject: converting gear drive to belt drive

I can make my 10# Cessna on floats do very exiting, i.e. snap rolls, kammer head, inverted... or plain relaxing manuevers. My favorite is take off and landing just before susnset over mirror surface waters of Lk Washington. And wind is no problem for the pane , even 10-15 mph, cut through it when my flying buddies wont fly.

Anyway, I'm going to research the gears by Double Horse to find a compatible one. If you have seen their gears, you know what I mean re strength. I may have to change the gear on the motor as well for the proper mash. I'm a kind of a Magyver (sp) guy. See if I can make it better without too much expense. Just like to tinker with my machines.
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:03 am
PostPost subject:

Sounds good, like I said just be mindful of the gearing ratio.

Even just one extra tooth on the pinion can cause radically different head-speeds.

My orchard is actually on a lake, so I've always planned on eventually getting some heli floats and maybe a seaplane. But a fully 3D-capable plane on floats would be pretty awesome, I'll keep that in mind.
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:16 am
PostPost subject: post subject

Hi magyarbacsi,
I believe some msh protos helicopters have a belt drive system to the main gear.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Walkera All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: