Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Do you get what you paid for.

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdmanpete
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:52 am
PostPost subject: Do you get what you paid for.

Li-po batteries seem to be made in a very wide range of qualities. I have had several disappointments which after only four or five uses have shown marked swelling which might, or might not, indicate reduced performance.

But there are two which seem totally unchanged after steady use over more than six years. One is marked with a Heli manufacturers label and the other seems not to be made any longer.

My question is. What do active modellers think of as the best value in batteries and is it always a question of paying the most.

I should stress that I always run a balanced charge at 800 mah as I am never in a hurry.

Best wishes
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:14 pm
PostPost subject:

My experience is limited having only bought two replacements. But I read a lot of good reviews about Gens Ace and so bought a couple.

From 1000mah on the supplied lipo, to only 1300mah on the Gens, the difference was noticeable and prolonged. Very little internal resistance and all tickety-boo. And the price was good.

I've planned Gens Ace 6P when I get building my first T-Rex.

Hope that helps.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:43 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Do you get what you paid for.

Birdmanpete wrote:
My question is. What do active modellers think of as the best value in batteries and is it always a question of paying the most.

I should stress that I always run a balanced charge at 800 mah as I am never in a hurry.

G'Day,

You don't say what sizes of batteries you're using, it can make a difference. I have found that in different sizes some makes can vary.

For instance I use Turnigy 3 cell 850mAh nanotechs and 2650mAh normal, but Zippy 3 cell 2200mAh and 2 cell 180mAh and 350mAh.
Always bought here. Prices are great but you do have a shipping transit wait unless you live in Hong Kong!

Tom.
Birdmanpete
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:54 pm
PostPost subject: The size I use most....

..... is the 11.1v with a capacity range 1800 to 2200mah. That seems to be a good weight for the Align 450. The model hangs nose down at the flybar in the workshop but flies pretty " flat" with the swash plate horizontal out at the field.

Best wishes.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:09 pm
PostPost subject:

I use the 2200s' in my Pitts bipe. They are some 10g lighter than others of that size and have given me no problems at all. Good batteries but at 20C (44A max) may not be enough for a 3D 450. They stay cool in my EXI450 doing gentle hovering on a 5 min scale style flight.

Tom.
andy ching
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:04 pm
PostPost subject:

That doesn't sound great with the swelling battery, i'm newish to the hobby and i bought SKY LIPOS and no complaints there. Not flying 3 d though so my experience there is limited. running 1300 mah 2cell 15 C. I heard the rip tho for 3d flying?? Andy
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:14 am
PostPost subject:

My Upforce 450 Trex clone came with a G-Power 2280 3S 35C pack over 2 years ago ... and it's still going strong today. I use it in my 450 ... my Cessna ....

I bought of Ebay :

2 BQY 2280 3S 30C packs and they arrived puffed from Abeyyr ... but they work.

2 RC Model Parts 2800 3S 30C packs - total rubbish .... after a couple of cycles they gave up.

3 E-Fly 1800 3S 25C packs - magic but one in a crash lost one cell and now acts like a 2S

From Hobby King :"

2 Zippy 2100 3S 35C ... slightly larger and heavier than the original 2280 pack - but fine.

2 Zippy compact 1500 4S 25C - excellent lightweight and good power.

2 Zippy compact 1800 3S 25 - excellent lightweight and good power

2 Zippy 920 4S 25C - good but too small capacity for job intended.

2 Turnigy 1300 3S 25 - 35C - excellent

2 Turnigy 800 3S 20C - good

As you see I basically buy most from Hobby KIng now ... having had hit and miss via ebay. The Compacts that Hobby King offers now I find are much better value and performance than any nanotech I've seen. You get larger capacity for same weight / size as other ... and price is good.

My EDF loves the compacts .... When I need new 450 packs - I will go for higher capacity Zippy compacts ... to get the longer run-time.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: