Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Everyone's go to the Moon

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:12 am
PostPost subject: Everyone's go to the Moon

Have you noticed how helicopter related stuff seems less as the multi rotor stuff is in the accent. For instance, turnbuckles for T-rex450 fly-bared heads seem to have dropped off the radar and the same thing with fine pitch threaded link-rod sets.
Also, helicopter related traffic here on the forum seems to have tailed-off.

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:43 pm
PostPost subject:

I suppose that's understandable Burgess, everything gradually gets outdated. My first helicopter was a balsa & tissue model (circa 1949) with rubber powered rotors. Motor was in a freely rotating 1/32" balsa sheet tube with an 8" prop on top and 4 torque driven blades attached to the tube, set outside the wash. Basically a co-axial, powered itself aloft and autorotated down. No control at all but great fun and I had the only one in the area. Parts unavailable now of course! (If there ever were any! Sad ) I had to hand carve the prop & blades from balsa blocks; shape the tube around a broom handle etc.

Maybe we could try to arouse a little interest, perhaps an article or two on quads & hexes might do it.

Tom.

Keep smiling Very Happy
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:07 am
PostPost subject:

It's the same with everything associated with Helicopters Burgess, I think it is because total novices can buy a Quad and learn to fly it in 24 hours, with Helicopters it took me months to achieve my first proper hover after I moved up from Co-axial to CP.

Therefore more people are buying Quads and the market is just following the demands, I am lucky my LHS owner is an avid Helicopter flyer so will keep stocking helicopter parts but about half his trade is now associated with Multicopters and he can't afford to not to support them.

I have two quads and was surprised when I found them fun to fly, about 4 years ago I bought a Parrot drone which I flew from my iPad that held my interest for a short time but I soon became bored with it, these newer quads are a different matter.

Quads are easy to build, you can build one in an hour or two if you have all the components, setup can be as easy as sitting it on a level surface an pressing one button to calibrate it and in self level mode could be flown by a five year old. Quads do not require the knowledge and skill required to build and fly a helicopter and look totally ugly compared to a Helicopter but they are easy and that is the way of the world now days.

You don't need dedication to be a Multicopter flyer.

Tom is right we probably need a Multicopter section if this forum is to attract new members.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:26 am
PostPost subject:

Yeah you're right it's the way of the world, and I haven't progressed to a three-axis gyro yet.

Multi rotor category would be a good idea.

I had a go with one of those hi-end aerial photography quad earlier this year, very stable platform and great for photography. The guy was doing a CAA training course costing around £4,500.

I'd like to try a multi rotor V/STOL

http://vstol.org/wheel.htm

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:13 am
PostPost subject:

Models with tilt rotors were very hard to control (there are some old model V22 videos on Youtube) but 6 axis gyros may well help out there Burgess. That's a great link you posted - played with it for hours reminiscing on the 50's era. I did build a 'Pogo' then but it never got off the ground. Balance of the rotating motor tube (same system as my heli above), did not balance too well at the high revs required. All attempted liftoffs resulted in a crash.

Tom.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:15 am
PostPost subject: Anyone for VTOL

I've just come across these sites

#1 AMV VTOL aircraft site:

http://www.amvaircraft.com/html/gallery1_6.html

It looks like it would be a very interesting subject to base a model on.

#2 This Morgan Aircraft is an interesting graduation from basic quad design.

http://www.morganaircraft.com/Articles/04VTOL.html

Burgess Cool
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:30 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Burgess,

Like these craft maybe the Morgan more as it does look like a quad, whereas the AMV VTOL looks more like a helicopter with its rotor below the fuse!

There are a couple of models using a profile fighter and a quad layout set into the wings and tail. Here's one from China for $18USD
http://www.banggood.com/Cheerson-CX-12-A-CX12-F15-Fighter-2_4G-4CH-6-Axis-LED-RC-Quadcopter-p-956934.html

Good video for it here:
https://youtu.be/cYkGyRuveZI

At $18USD I'm tempted just for the indoor fun!

N.B this is NOT spam for this model, I tend to use this company a lot.

Tom.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:57 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the links Tom, now that Cheeron X-12 A, for just £12.00 will be a lot of fun in the hall on Sunday after service...

I get my digital Emax servos from Banggood.com

I'm intrigued by both designs, but more-so with the design concept behind the AMV VTOL. I'd really like to get up close to a full sized one.

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:00 pm
PostPost subject:

Can't help wondering if a flying angel would not be more appropriate in the hall - but maybe not so much fun.

This is as close as I have found so far.

Definitely a 'hands-on' control system, the kiddies would love it! Razz

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: