Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Feral Beast AH-64

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:36 pm
PostPost subject: Feral Beast AH-64

Hi Y'all:

Well I received my new 4in1 controller for this animal and installed it. This one came as a 72MHz - so I changed the crystal in the Tx to the 72MHz supplied.

Turned on the Tx and then plugged in the Rx - Well the little LED alternately blinks red and green as if it is trying to receive from the transmitter; but, that is all that happens.

Throttle is zero'd as is the throttle trim.

Any ideas from the peanut gallery out there??

Really want to see this thing fly again. Waiting for blades for my Lama400D and Tom, if you read this - need help in reassembling the Sea King.

Kirk
tombo242
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Santo EstÍv„o, East Algarve, Portugal. 78, but still feels 18.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:05 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Kirk,

What was the original frequency band of the Tx? You can't - for instance - put a 72 kHz crystal into a 40 kHz Tx and expect it to work. The coils etc would be all wrong for the new frequency band.

You can only change channels with crystals not frequency bands.

Tom.
Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:41 am
PostPost subject:

Tom: The new RX came with a pair of 72MHz crystals - put one in the TX and one in the RX.
Sponsor

Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:36 pm
PostPost subject:

Hey Tom:

The transmitter that came with this heli was 40MHz - When they sent me the new 4in1 thingo they sent it with a 72MHz chip installed and a spare to put in the transmitter which I did.

I am assuming that the insides of the transmitter itself simply depends on the chip inserted and the internal workings are not dependent on a particular frequency. Would this be correct? If the Tx and Rx chips are the same frequency it should work; Right?

Anyway, all I still get is the LED blinking on and off, red and white. Quite pretty visually; however, does not do much for flying Smile

Kirk
tombo242
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:08 pm
PostPost subject:

Pappy K wrote:
I am assuming that the insides of the transmitter itself simply depends on the chip inserted and the internal workings are not dependent on a particular frequency. Would this be correct? If the Tx and Rx chips are the same frequency it should work; Right?
Kirk

Sorry Kirk but no, it won't work. The inside of your TX has coils that only accept the 40kHz range. Fitting a 72 kHz crystal will not change that. The same applies to the Rx. The base frequencies i.e. 27, 40, 72 mHz MUST be the same for Tx, Rx and crystals.

You can use different channels within the frequency bands. The 40 mHz frequency for example will have different channels designated by the crystals. i.e. 40-25 or 40-42 = 40mHz - channels 25 or 42. These must match in Tx and Rx and the different channels will work in a 40 mHz system, but you cannot put a 72mHz crystal into a 40 mHz Tx or Rx it will not work.

Hope that's clear,

Tom.
Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:24 am
PostPost subject:

I'snt Ignorance Bliss Embarassed What can I say, I thought the internals were the same and the crystal was the driver. Oh Well Rolling Eyes back to the drawing board. When I look back at this thread I realize that, Tom, you told me this the first time and I did not take it in.

DAMN - Anyone out there have any use for a 72MHz 4in1??

So Tom, how did you manage to change to a 2.4? You said you did it to one of your's. This heli cost $75 so I guess it is not worth the effort. Hate to just give up - Keep thinking about that Dead Horse Crying or Very sad
tombo242
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:21 am
PostPost subject:

I've converted 2 co-axials to 2.4gHz just need an Rx. I've used this clone:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11965
and another which seems to be out of production now.

Of course I'm on Spectrum, not sure about Futaba, but it can't be much different. All you need to swap is the Rx part of the 4-in-1. The Rx is usually held to a 3-in-1 inside the card wrapper. Might be a "Talk on Skype" job to get it sorted first though. Major problem is the mixing required as the 3-in-1s' do not respond to the rudder channel. (Cuts out the power!) You have to use mixing and the Rx gear channel to rudder to get it to work.

The only thing I do not have on 2.4gHz is my RC yacht, all 4 helis and my fixed wings are upgraded to 2.4gHz.

Tom.
Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:40 pm
PostPost subject:

Well Tom, this is the only thing I have that is not 2.4. I am beginning to think I should just cut my loss and leave it. I would have to have a Walkera Rx and that is probably going to cost about 30 odd bucks and then anything else I might need. I have already spent 40 bucks on a 4in1 that I can't use. Bit of a shame but no point in pouring good money after bad.

Kinda like a boat is a hole in the water that you keep pouring money into Exclamation

Kirk
tombo242
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:07 pm
PostPost subject:

Don't give up the ship yet Kirk,

Like I said; often the 4-in-1s' are a 3-in-1 and an Rx stuck together in a common wrapper. See this pic of the ESKY 4-in-1:

The connector just snaps in, unplug and you have a 3-in-1 and separate Rx. The RX can then be replaced with another, maybe your old Rx section was OK and it was just the 3-in-1 part burned out.

If you're scrapping it anyway what have you got to loose?

Tom.
Pappy K
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:44 pm
PostPost subject:

Tom:

I will take some photos tomorrow and show you what I have. Going to bed now, your probably just getting up.

Kirk
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: