Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Helicopter Drifts left in a level hover

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agbuzz
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:34 am
PostPost subject: Helicopter Drifts left in a level hover

I'm new to this hobby and bought a cheap walkera 22e helicopter. I know I should have went with a counter rotating heli for my first but I couldn't pass up the deal.

Any way. I have the heli hovering quite well except it drifts to the left continually. I tried to trim it,(to the right) but it just tilts the heli right (not level). It just won't stay in one spot without me playing with the remote. Even with me messing with the remote as soon as I get it back to level. it drifts left again. Im not sure of the problem,obviously, and need help. I tried facing the opposite direction thinking maybe the groundis not level or if im catching a breeze. By the way this is in no wind at all. I even tried it indoors. Same thing every time.

I haven't crashed it yet, other than a hard landing on the skids in the grass. I shut it down too fast while hovering and it dropped about 3 feet. I'm not sure if its a balance issue. I tried to level it out holding the paddles near the center. Out of the box this thing was really tail heavy. I weighted the front. It looks level front to back and side to side, but I'm sure just a little is a lot on these little things.

It also seems a little weak. It doesn't seem to go up very fast at full throttle. I adjusted the pitch? on the blades all the way and it didn't seem to help much either.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:53 am
PostPost subject:

Welcome to the world of little heli's..
I wish I could offer encouraging news about your heli but they are just that way.
I have a friend who has one and he is always messing with the trims and gyro and never can get it right.
The trims are effected by battery drainage, and the tail motor taking power away from the main motor with rudder inputs. They don't have alot of power, so it seems what you are having trouble with is just the norm for that heli.
I'd recomend saving up for a better heli and don't put more money into the little one...
2fly
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:35 pm
PostPost subject:

Hello and welcome to the hobby!

I'm afraid I have to say the same thing crashagain said, which is, there is no way to eliminate the drift entirely on the Walkera 22e. At least, not with the components that comes with it right out of the box.

The thing is, the Walkera 22e uses a non-heading hold gyro which doesn't lock the direction of the nose. A heading hold gyro on the other hand does that.

I don't think there's a way to change the gyro that comes with the Walkera 22e to a heading old one because it uses a tail-motor (is that right).

There is an article in the article section which explains the different type of gyros further. Here it is.
Sponsor

agbuzz
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:06 pm
PostPost subject: Thanks for your help

The only thing is, the tail seems to be pretty stable. the whole heli seems to drift left. when i'm getting it light on the ground it will just skid across the floor to the left. the tail stays pointed toward me most of the time. I guess thats the aileron adjustment or trim.

Is that still the gyro?

Like I said I'm new to this and wouldn't even be in the hobby if it wasn't for getting this thing for $60.00 new on ebay. If there is something I can do to upgrade this and fix it I'm ok with that. I don't have a lot invested in it... yet.

Thanks for the help everyone this is a great site!

[/quote]
agbuzz
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:42 am
PostPost subject: Fixed it on accident!!!!

Well I was in my back yard messing with the heli and I crashed it pretty hard, the blades hit the boom and I had to replace the blades. So I went back out again after the repair and its flying perfect. I can hover without any right stick movements at all for about 3-5 seconds (no wind today) it hardly moves.

Now that being said, does any one have a clue on what might have fixed the problem? Bad blades or did I knock something into a good position? If so , What could have changed?

I'm happy for the fix, I just would like to know what could have been the cause, Just in case it happens again.

Now this is a fun hobby when it flies like this. I'm still not a pro, but I can take off and hover around the yard and land it pretty good, I still don't have the balls or skill to get to high yet(about 10 feet), but its fun. I have never flown before, and from what I've been reading I'm doing pretty good.

Why do so many people complain about the walkera 22e, All you have to do is crash it and it fixes itself!!! LOL Razz

Please give me input on the culprit if you can, Thanks everyone.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:11 am
PostPost subject: Re: Thanks for your help

agbuzz wrote:
The only thing is, the tail seems to be pretty stable. the whole heli seems to drift left. when i'm getting it light on the ground it will just skid across the floor to the left. the tail stays pointed toward me most of the time. I guess thats the aileron adjustment or trim.

Is that still the gyro?

This is normal for any heli..
What you are experiencing on lift off is the tail rotor pushing the heli to the side.
You have to learn to compensate with a little right aleron during take off.
Don't use trim use your stick for this. Once the heli is in the air about a foot or so it will stay where you want.
kmkstar
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:32 pm
PostPost subject:

I just got a 22e for Christmas, my only helicopter experience was a syma s107 co-axle. I figure it's time for something more advanced, so here I am. After reading a few different post on this forum I've noticed that other are having similar issues. I crashed before I got to fly.....I was messing with the setting on the Wk-2602 tx and bam!! It took off on it's own an managed to turn into a kit form Shocked well my first lessen is to disconnect the motor when messing with the settings. My bro-in-law got one also, so he made a training bar thing. So far we both have been able to get the feel for it while skidding around the driveway. We have noticed the drifting issues on take off, so I now understand this normal. We haven't got to far off the ground yet, but feel a little better about it after reading about others. We are going to upgrade to the CNC rotor assembly on both of them, I hope that this will help. One thing that happened was that the tail motor burnt up. I took the one off of mine and after a day or so, that one burnt out. Is this normal? We are going to add the heat sinks with the new replacement. I wish I new what is the proper set up on this wk-2602 tx for this chopper, anyone have any tips on this? Any other help would be most welcomed. Very Happy
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:16 pm
PostPost subject:

Another has said it ... it's normal for a heli to drift left ...

Think about it. You have the torque of the main rotors trying to spin the heli body counter-clockwise ... the tail rotor spinning to stop it by pulling tail to left .... The combo of these produces the left drift tendency.

Holding the heli still in a hover will have most heli's ever so slightly tilted to right ...

And as another says - don't trim this completely out, use the stick to counter on lift-off ... because once you get outside of ground effect, heli will reduce it's tendency for drift ...
Co-Ax Syma S006 Alloy Shark
2x Clone 450 SE V2
WLToys V911-1
+ fixed wing stuff ...
Ex Display flyer.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: