Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Honey Bee CP3 first impressions from a newbie.

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Honey Bee

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:04 pm
PostPost subject: Honey Bee CP3 first impressions from a newbie.

Thought I'd post this for future HB CP3 users information. It's intended to be constructive.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this little copter. The thrill of actually getting this heli hovering is immense. I have had one or two issues with it however. These issues were minor because I discovered them whilst the copter was tethered on a training rig. Had I gone for it straight out of the box, repaired and gone for it again I would have trashed it 3 times over.

Issues:
Battery cradle is badly designed IMO. The battery position needs to be adjustable to achieve the correct C of G. The battery in the correct position is largely unsupported, sitting on a flimsy tongue of plastic which flexes, combine this with a very low grip Velcro strap.....my battery has fallen out of the cradle twice on bumped landings on carpet........ Now replaced the velcro with a 1/4 inch wide re-usable cable tie which is much more secure. So a design issue that can be largely overcome.......What happens when a battery becomes disconnected half way through a high G stunt?

The plastic collar that secures the swash plate bearing had come adrift at some stage. Not sure when this happened or if it arrived like it. I had only bumped this heli around on grass and concrete with training gear on at this stage. The result is an uncontrollable helicopter. I popped the collar back in and secured with super glue....No more issues with it. I can now hover tail in for a whole charge and it's fantastic Laughing So a potentially fatal manufacturing QC issue that was probably particular to my heli. Easily overcome though.

All of my hovering practice had been with the canopy off for ease of battery changing. Last night I videoed some hovering practice with the canopy on in order to look cool Cool. The heli seemed reluctant to take off so I gave it more stick, big mistake I know, put it down to lack of experience......the heli suddenly took off like a rocket, I was in my garage Aargh. Fortunately the heli was tethered and the 4 bits of string held........ The canopy sides foul up on the rotor control linkages. I've sorted this by cutting nice neat radii out of the canopy, 1 either side, it's not noticeable but the linkages are now free. Another potentially fatal design issue.

A minor grumble this one: My charger takes 4 hrs to charge the standard battery. It's a cheap one. Apparently the solution is to chuck it out and spend £40 odd on a sensible charger....... "ha'p'orth of tar" you rc heli manufacturers. I just wanna get flying Wink

............The more experienced heli flyers would probably spot these problems before they took to the air But as this heli is targeted at the beginner..............

That aside.
All in all though I'm extremely chuffed with this charming little bird, unlimited fun and extremely good value for money IMO Smile
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Casa Grande AZ, USA. 66 and yes! Heli's reverse aging!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 pm
PostPost subject: Nice job G.K.!!

Nice description of the learning curve common to most helis. We can all learn from each other. I applaud your CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Here is hopeing Honey Bee pays attention.
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:49 am
PostPost subject: post subject

I hope i'm not stating the obvious here but you should have velcro on the battery and the cradle as well as using a strap. This will stop the battery falling out. Sounds like your enjoying your heli anyway and i reckon you are addicted.
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:52 pm
PostPost subject: Re: post subject

chopper54 wrote:
I hope i'm not stating the obvious here but you should have velcro on the battery and the cradle as well as using a strap. This will stop the battery falling out. Sounds like your enjoying your heli anyway and i reckon you are addicted.

having a great time with the addiction Laughing I've always been fascinated by RC. I used to read General Jumbo in the Beano as a kid, he had an entire radio controlled army, navy and airforce.....slightly unrealistic though, only a woman could multi-task on that level Rolling Eyes

And yes I did put velcro on the battery, I figured it was essential for stopping the battery sliding back and forth during use. The velcro supplied has such low grip it's nearly useless.

Nearly had another disaster last night, my own fault really. During a battery change I inadvertently flipped the idle up switch to on. Took me a while to figure out what I'd done Shocked......pre flight checks, pre flight checks, pre flight checks.......
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Honey Bee All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: