Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Inquiry about 2.4g Esky Big Lama 4CH

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:28 am
PostPost subject: Inquiry about 2.4g Esky Big Lama 4CH

Are there any experts that can help me figure out what is causing and how to fix a problem with my Esky Big Lama co-axial? I noticed when I turn the out outer shaft by hand the gears engage each other smoothly for about 2/3rd's of a turn, but the last 1/3 sounds and feels ratchety. Its not slipping though. The plastic is gear is new and I changed it with another new one and its still happening. I suspected it might be a factory defect with that wheel so I replaced it with an Extreme gear. Its a little better but the binding is still there. Has anyone had this problem, and what is the solution? What causes binding between the motor's gear and the plastic gear?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:28 pm
PostPost subject:

HI,

As changing the gears made no real difference, it sounds like the mainshaft is running a little concentric. That could cause the gears to engage deeper at one point than the other. The wobble is unlikely to be big enough to be seen but the gear clearance is very small.

Can you slacken the gap until the 'ratchety' feeling just disappears? Then check the whole run for slack.

The only real solution may be to change the mainshaft and its bearings.

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:59 pm
PostPost subject:

I will do as you suggest and see what happens. Thanks for the reply. The other question I have is about servo load. I am using the elevator servo to also operate a release mechanism for a parachute drop. When I move the right side transmitter stick in a full circular motion the servo sometimes freezes in position for a second, and the motors also stop at the same time, and there is no control. Could this be caused by too much load on the servo?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:46 am
PostPost subject:

Well now,

I would say definitely not a good idea. I have converted my B.L. to the DX6i and a 6 channel Rx in order to have an extra channel to spray wasps that nest in the roof tiles. Problem with your idea is that you will have a big surge on the servo, could cause the upset that you are having. That servo is only meant to drive the swash and nothing else.

If you are going to add extra controlled systems then you really need the extra channels to do it. Should you try this conversion then, if you like, I can help with my notes as I have already done this.

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:42 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the offer but I managed to sort everything out. I don't know exactly what I did but the gears are meshing fine now. I did adjust the swash plate height and throw on the servo pushrods, as I discovered it was pushing the swashplate to high causing it to rub against the outer shaft. I also made a small adjustment to my release mechanism, it was interfering with the servo throw. All is fine now. I would like to see how you set up your big lama though. That's a very cool and creative way to solve the wasp problem! Very Happy
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:03 pm
PostPost subject:

These files are from my early B.L. conversion and do not show the 'Wasp Killer' set up.

You can download from these links:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26665106/BigLamaAllMyBits.zip

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26665106/BL-Rx%20Pin%20Connections.JPG

You should not need a DropBox account to do this. However, you can see the AUX channel is free and will take a servo.

I found that the wind was critical on the roof so I now use my DIY 450 Quad, better lift and control with a KK2 flashed to V1.6. Very Happy

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:34 pm
PostPost subject:

Tom, those pictures and ideas are amazing! Exactly what a newbie like me is looking for!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:12 am
PostPost subject:

You are very welcome Buddy. Don't know your real name, most of us regulars don't use the made up ones other than to log in.

If I can help with anything else just ask. On this forum we say that 'no question is stupid if you don't know the answer'. Remember that I'm on the other side of the pond so answers may be a little delayed.

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:11 am
PostPost subject:

My name is Kevin. Very glad to have met you. I just got back from flying the new big lama. I managed to drop a parachute and a small Styrofoam glider. The parachute hit the ground unopened, even though I was up 200 feet. I think the plastic bag I used was to ridged, and the weight I tied to the strings too light. More importantly I noticed while hovering the flybar was not running parallel to the blades. Can you tell me how you fixed the problem of the flybar binding with the purple aluminum hub? I just sanded the plastic hub where the screws were touching just enough to allow some free play.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:40 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Kevin,

If the flybar is set up correctly it cannot bind and will be parallel to the blades.

In the pack "BigLamaAllMyBits.zip" you will find a number of jpeg files referring to the flybar, if you look at them you will see how I set it up. The gauge I cut is primitive but it works well; the "Flybar Setting.jpg" shows how the distances across the flybar/blade balls MUST be identical on each side. The DIY gauge helps in setting there. Make sure that you keep the pressure on the flybar, check ("FlybarPositioning.jpg") mimicking the rotation wind in flight. You are only concerned with flight here not static.

Check the pics out and get back to me if you have any problems.

Have you tried using a handkerchief as a parachute, 4 strings to the corners and a small weight works very well. Keep it light but DON'T use a ladyfriends' silk one if you value your heli! Very Happy

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Very Happy Thanks tom. Well...I think I ruined the flybar hub. it is way to sloppy. way too much free play. I will replace it with a new stock one. I see no advantage with the aluminum one other than looking nice.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:46 pm
PostPost subject:

You are probably right about the alloy Kevin. My B.L. came to me from a friend in box complete with spares marked "Unflyable! See what you can do with it." Crying or Very sad

The alloy parts were there so I used them, the pics you have are from the setting up that I did to get it hovering and flying. You can see an early indoor test flight with an oversize battery here Very Happy :
[youtube=https://youtu.be/l6ukoP0SkO0]https://youtu.be/l6ukoP0SkO0[/youtube]

There should not be slack as such in the head, free movement is what you are after, not slop.The setting of the 'blades to flybar' link is very critical. When held in 'wind pressure' position the ball to ball distances MUST be identical both sides. You CANNOT eyeball this, it must be measured with a gauge and less than 1/64" or 0.3mm difference in length. The flybar is controlling the upper blades and great accuracy is essential.

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:28 pm
PostPost subject:

Very Happy Tom I smile when reading your posts. CLIMBING THE RC HELICOPTER LADDER ALONE MOST WOULD QUIT OUT OF FRUSTRATION. SO I AM THANKFUL YOU ARE TAKING THE TIME TO PASS ALONG ALL THE TIPS AND TRICKS YOU HAVE LEARNED OVER THE YEARS. VERY COOL VIDEO WITH THE LARGE BATTERY! 20 MINS FLIGHT TIME? WOW! SORRY MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS NOT WORKING. SO YES, I WENT BACK TO THE STOCK PLASTIC FLYBAR HOLDER AND IT IS WORKING WELL. THANKS FOR EMPHISIZING THE IMPORTANTS OF EQUAL FLYBAR LINK LENGTHS. I ALSO ADDED A 2ND LINK FOR SYMETRY. PLEASE EXCUSE MY SPELLING. Very Happy OFF TO THE FLYING FIELD NOW! ITS ZERO KM WINDS Very Happy
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:33 pm
PostPost subject:

Pleased to be of help Kevin, things will get really interesting when you get up to 6 channel collective pitch. You may need a lot of help then. The forum will be standing by. Just take a look at this thread from Burgess - but remember we've been around for years.

http://www.electric-rc-helicopter.com/phpbb/tarot-flybarless-450-main-rotor-head-t7595.html#35062 Shocked

It can get real interesting - believe me,

Tom.
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:56 am
PostPost subject:

thanks tom. today I spent 45seconds flying and about 10 hours rebuilding after the crash. Sad I didn't bother taking pics after the crash, but here it is before..its the one I built with a parachute drop.

pilot is my wife rosalie, co pilot is her niece kiara, skydiver nephew fritz, and bulldog rocky for search and rescue Laughing
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 58
Jump to: