Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Just starting out, on 2nd copter, couple questions!

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tennessee
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 am
PostPost subject: Just starting out, on 2nd copter, couple questions!

First post! Started this hobby when I passed a kiosk at the mall and fell in love with a Yiboo Mini. I love the little copter, can handle it well around the house. I hate the USB charging, and the controller charging is sub-standard. Still, for a beginner, the little Yiboo whatever model, being just 7-8 inches long is a perfect way to learn without breaking the bank. I can park it mid-flight in front of my wife and she can touch the landing rails.

So I was in TJ Maxx a couple days ago fell for an iwave Tomahawk UH-23. I now know they do not market this unit anymore, although it looks a lot like the other 20" models out there. Once the batteries were charged, loved the lights, was not that hard to handle in the house, (despite the size), and love the charging in an actual outlet. Be taking it outside tonight for the first time. (barring the wind)
I can find nothing on the Internet about this unit, save on some sites, it is listed as parts for it being bought previously. iwave seems to have been bought out again, and the one unit they do still sell on Amazon, the RC Jumbo, looks like a POS and looks like it is being discontinued.

My question is: Does anyone know if there is a compatible model (parts) to the iwave Tomahawk UH-23?? 20" body, twin rotor, twin motor, takes a standard 7.4DC Li-Ion battery. Has red and blue LEDs running down each side of the metal frame, a green one bottom front, with two LED headlights in a small box just above the cockpit. No name or number on anything save for iwave. Blades simply say "iwave", with the typical A and B letters on them per set. I believe the control board in the cockpit has a sticker on it, "27M", which is probably a QC sticker. Controller uses 4AA batteries. About a 100 ft. range. I know I will need parts sooner or later, and it would be nice to be able to order online if possible.
It seems like a well balanced machine, and it flies well.
Thanks, and I hope not to put it in my trees too often!

Tennessee
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:29 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Tennessee,
" what heli should i start with" is a very common query and my answer is
whatever heli you choose, it is important make sure you can get spare parts for when you need to make repairs. Its not a case of if you crash, it is when you crash. Dont waste time looking for spares for that little known model just fly it till its broken and then get down to your local hobby shop and see what they have in stock.
They can probably supply you with a nice heli and have full spares back up for those heavy landings
and occasional crashes. If you dont have a local hobby shop have a read around the forum and see whats popular here and you can find what you want on the internet. You might not like my advice but i just dont want you to waste money on any more rubbish. This is a great hobby but only if you start with decent kit and you dont need to spend a fortune to get a good starter heli. Good luck. Cool
Tennessee
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 am
PostPost subject:

Well, I live pretty close to Chattanooga, so we have a Hobby Town and some independents. I'll make sure to visit a couple. Sadly, although I always wanted to fly model helo's, people scared me off with stories of breakage, hard to fly, blah, blah, blah. Once I got my little Yiboo on a whim, ($50) to fly steady in the house, and make it do basic tricks like landing on small spots, I was hooked. Forget planes!

I guess the fancy package and size of the iwave caught me in a soft spot. I should have known better. I think I'll take it on a lot of 5-10 feet off the ground flights on grass until either a motor burns up, or I break a blade off. With a day job as a salesman and running a small, custom guitar shop, I was looking for a little something to relax.

I also think I might measure the blades and other critical parts, and if one does break I'll stop by one of those shops and see if they carry anything. I've been told today I can also expect maybe 4 hours total fly time until the motors burn up. But I saw them today for $15 online. We'll see! In the meantime, I'll just read and learn from all you folks here in this forum!
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:43 am
PostPost subject: post subject

Hi again Tennessee,
Rest assured modern mini coaxial helicopters are a doddle to fly and fantastic fun. If you want a relaxing easy going heli check out the Blade mcx 2. Its about 8 inches long and a brilliant intro to r/c helicopters. You can buy extra batteries and fly it round all day. If you like the yiboo you will just love the mcx 2. It is a tough little guy and wont break easily but spares are readily available and reasonably cheap.
Have a look here to see the mcx demo.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/blade-mcx2-rtf-EFLH2400
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:36 am
PostPost subject:

Spares are so difficult with the inexpensive 3ch helis, they really are.

I agree, a nice, 4ch MCX with the easy and cheap availability of spares and tech supportof many thousands of MCX owners means that Blade helis is just PERFECT for a casual beginner. What's more, it REALLY won't break the bank and will get you used to basic and proper helicopter control should you decide to progress with the hobby.
hnoor0022
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:48 pm
PostPost subject:

I think I'll take it on a lot of 5-10 feet off the ground flights on grass until either a motor burns up, or I break a blade off. With a day job as a salesman and running a small, custom guitar shop, I was looking for a little something to relax.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: