Register | Log in
 
Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist
 

Li-Po Batteries Prolonged Storage Guide


Custom Search
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Articles
 
Advertisements


View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
featured_article
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Nov 2006
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:42 pm
PostPost subject: Li-Po Batteries Prolonged Storage Guide
Reply with quote

This article can be found here: Li-Po Batteries Prolonged Storage Guide

Please post comments here and they will automatically appear on the contents page. Commenting options on the article's main page was disabled due to spam.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rocket75
Charging
Charging


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Location: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:57 am
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Confused I purchased a heavy pyrex style covered glass container for my LiPo batteries for storage and charging. It's made to be in a 400 degree oven. Doyou see any problems using it? Also, I've heard the LiPo's can explode. Would the force be enough to blow off the glass top?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2quark4u
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac


Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:39 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

If you think it won't melt under fire then I think it should be fine. But I think aluminum containers such as cookie boxes like the articles would be the best choice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
heliguy
Charging
Charging


Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:13 am
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but your advice to store Lipo batteries fully charged is COMPLETELY WRONG!!! All Lipo manufacturers and suppliers advice that you MUST store Lipo batteries at about 50% charge. Storing at 100%/fully charged will cause an increase in the resistance of the battery, meaning that it may not be able to supply the needed current after a long storage or it will heat up more during flight, causing the battery to die much faster.

To estimate 50% charge, measure the voltage of each battery and it should be between 3.80V - 3.90V..

Lipo batteries also have a shelf life of 2 - 3 years, which means that you should always buy freshly manufactured batteries, not something that has been sitting on a shelf for a few years.


Last edited by heliguy on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2quark4u
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac


Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:48 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

heliguy wrote:
I'm sorry, but your advice to store Lipo batteries fully charged is COMPLETELY WRONG!!! All Lipo manufacturers and suppliers advice that you MUST store Lipo batteries at about 50% charge. Storing at 100%/fully charged will cause an increase in the resistance of the battery, meaning that it may not be able to supply the needed current after a long storage or it will heat up more during flight, causing the battery to die much faster.

To estimate 50% charge, measure the voltage of each battery and it should be between 3.75V - 3.80V..

Lipo batteries also have a shelf life of 2 - 3 years, which means that you should always buy freshly manufactured batteries, not something that has been sitting on a shelf for a few years.


Really? That if that is correct that is new information. From what I've heard at local stores and read in helicopter magazines, if you are going to store the battery for more than 2 weeks, then you do have to charge it to 100% like the article said. In fact, when I went to buy my SRB Quark that's what the retailer repeatedly told me (the retailer is an authorized Hirobo store). So now I'm a bit confused.

I am not trying to argue with you but just want to get the information right. Right now, a lot of my batteries of mine are lying around(because I've only been flying the Quark lately and my bigger helis are just gathering dust) and I've charged all those battery packs to 100%. That is also what I've been told, not just by this article but also by a lot of pros and the magazine that I've quoted earlier. So if it's wrong I'm going to go and discharge those pack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mickey_mouse
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac


Joined: 07 Jul 2007
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:33 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Actually, I've also only hear and read that you're supposed to fully charge your battery before storing it away for a long time. Not just this particular article but other places as well.

In fact, after I read heliguy's comment I went to check my Quark's manual because I remember that it has specific instruction about how to store your battery for extended time. It turns out that Hirobo Quark's manual specifically tells you to fully charge the battery before storage. I've scanned the page:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rc_HeliPilot
Charging
Charging


Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 2
Location: California

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:13 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

mickey_mouse wrote:
Actually, I've also only hear and read that you're supposed to fully charge your battery before storing it away for a long time. Not just this particular article but other places as well.

In fact, after I read heliguy's comment I went to check my Quark's manual because I remember that it has specific instruction about how to store your battery for extended time. It turns out that Hirobo Quark's manual specifically tells you to fully charge the battery before storage. I've scanned the page:



Does anyone know if the new LiFe (A123) batteries will prove to be more practical than LiPos? Since I've become more and more familiar with LiPos, it strikes me that there are a significant number of issues and confusion with them - from safety issues to usage (don't run them down too far or they'll be ruined) to storage issues - not to mention high prices.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seventeen
Hover Master
Hover Master


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:48 pm
PostPost subject:
Reply with quote

Rc_HeliPilot wrote:
Does anyone know if the new LiFe (A123) batteries will prove to be more practical than LiPos? Since I've become more and more familiar with LiPos, it strikes me that there are a significant number of issues and confusion with them - from safety issues to usage (don't run them down too far or they'll be ruined) to storage issues - not to mention high prices.


Yes it is true that LiPos usage can be quite confusing, but all in all, I think they are easier to use than something like Ni-Mh or Ni-CD. For one thing, they don't suffer from memory effect and can last much much longer. For Ni-MH batteries you have to deplete them before charging or you're going to wear the battery down really quickly. Ni-CD are even worse but for reasons that I've already forgotten Laughing

By the way, what are LiFe batteries? I've never heard of them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Electric Rc Helicopter topic RSS feed 

SmartFeedSmartFeed




Electric-RC-Helicopter.com