Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:59 pm
PostPost subject: Lube - tubes and gears

I've greased all the roller bearings, thrust bearings etc., but there's no reference in the build manual to meshing gears i.e. the full drive train, tail rotor gears etc.

Are the plastic gears meant to be run dry, or would a little silicone spray ease any friction? I favour the latter. Come to think of it, what about ball linkages? Not that they're anywhere near tight, but to minimise wear.

Cheers
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:19 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi matelot,

Align-trex.co,uk have a good range of lubrications.
This links to the metal/plastic ball-link lube:-
http://www.align-trex.co.uk/robbe-plastic-metal-oil-p-1162.html

Spray silicon oil into the torque tube recommenced by Align.

Open gears: If metal particles adhere to the main drive cog that will accelerate wear.

Well that's my thoughts.

I think you will find you've got caged ball-raced radial bearing rather than roller bearings.
However, if you have roller bearings that small...where did you get them I want some. 'Laughing'

Burgess
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:42 pm
PostPost subject:

I've got a can of silicone lube designed for plastic and rubber. I know it was recommended for the rubber housing of the torque tube bearing to help it slide down the boom - although I suspect something like Vaseline may have done the job just as well..

Apart from the thrust bearings, all the others are various sizes of this type:

http://www.oomodel.com/copterx-cx4500907-bearingsmr84zz-4x8x3mm-p-61467.html

And yes, the bearings will be as you described, and not rollers! So as they're now well greased, I'll use the silicone later on the plastic gears and balls links. Can only stave off wear.

Cheers
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:23 am
PostPost subject:

To lube or not to lube, that is the question.

I have made an informal study of this issue on RC car drive shaft UJs. Also investigated this conundrum on dinghy sailing launching trolley wheels that are used in salt water......in both cases it was best to lube IMO even though other schools of thought said no.

The RC car UJs typically lasted 60-70% longer with grease on even though dust and muck stuck to the grease. They sounded a lot better also.

The boat launching trolleys had the added complication of rust if not greased which can be just as abrasive as sand and grit. Again lubed lasts longer.

I have no experience of rc helis but I have some dinghy cleat dry silicone spray which I'm going to use on the ball linkages. It may not be any good but I'd rather lube than not.
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:28 am
PostPost subject:

Sounds good. This stuff I got is non sticky, rust proofing (primary use plastic and rubber), and water repellent (although I don't plan flying in the rain...)

Thanks for responses. Silicone seems to be the way to go.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:47 am
PostPost subject:

Yeah, Matelot you wouldn't slip-up using dry silicone.'Laughing'

Hay Gary,
Back in the early 1980s I work for a small firm making centre boards and rudder blades for racing dinghy. One year I made the centre board for the world champion wind surfer. 'Cool'

Burgess
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm
PostPost subject:

Just looking at this can of spray and I notice that it's combined silicone/PTFE. It's called "Holt Pro-Lube, for marine and all outdoor applications". You can even spray it on white sails (so they slip out of chutes easier) and it leaves no nasty residues, is colourless and doesn't spread.

Burgess wrote:

Hay Gary,
Back in the early 1980s I work for a small firm making centre boards and rudder blades for racing dinghy. One year I made the centre board for the world champion wind surfer. 'Cool'

Burgess

It was the craftsmanship that did it Cool

I sail with my wife, we race normally although we do some pleasure cruising occasionally. We've done various championships including a Worlds at Weymouth. We did a big long distance race last weekend, 40 plus miles around the Isle of Sheppey......I'm still aching. Funnily enough we did ground at one point and we took a chunk out of our centre board, I'll drop it round for you to fix Laughing

Unfortunately my wife and I cannot compete seriously any longer, we're getting old. She now needs a new knee joint, my back gives me grief and I pulled my plantaris tendon on tues playing hide and seek with the grand kids, now struggling to walk.......From a physical point of view flying RC Helis seems an awful lot easier.
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:53 pm
PostPost subject:

We used to do a lot of sailing down in the Solent, and it's true what they say - sailing is like standing in a cold shower tearing up £10 notes... But we loved every minute of it.

But then gaining a PPL and flying has its own expensive rewards. Laughing

I think now the really big boy stuff is a fond memory, moving on and trying much more. Rejigging a computer PSU to power the iCharger has revived an interest in microelectronics, so alongside the Tarot fuselage, there's bags of transistors, diodes, resistors, LEDs.

And the house shutters STILL need painting...
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:34 pm
PostPost subject:

I sail small boats but still costly. We crew on other folks big boats occasionally but this doesn't quite have the same excitement.

Like you my DIY "must do" list is getting longer by the minute.
oldschoolrc
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:35 am
PostPost subject: lube questions

Although I'm new to Rc copters. I have 50+ years in mfg. When I saw the open gear setup on my Blade Runner 052. My first thought was silicone. but after some thought. I decided that collodial Graphite would be more suited. I purchased a can of P.B. brand spray graphite at Home Depot. and spray a small amount in an aerosol can cap and apply it with a brush to the spur gear tooth area. One benefit is that as the graphite wears off ,the gear starts to show the white color and indicates time to re-lube.
The Graphite is in a solution that drys and adheres to the gear surfaces.
does not collect dirt or sling off the gear and lubes the pinion as well
AliRaza08
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:42 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Direct Output

I have made an informal study of this issue on RC car drive shaft UJs. Also investigated this conundrum on dinghy sailing launching trolley wheels that are used in salt water......in both cases it was best to lube IMO even though other schools of thought said no.

solitaire card game - online solitaire
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: