Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Making some choices.........need help

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spectre
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:34 am
PostPost subject: Making some choices.........need help

Okay...I've been in this hobby in one form or another for 22 years. Most of it has been in racing 1/8 scale buggies or planes. I ended up buying a Raptor and could hover at-will with no training gear after 4 tanks. When I bought my house, I sold the Raptor. Now, I'm looking for an electric heli. I would LOVE a TREX 600, but WOW the cost involved! The 450 is a little better, but still more than I can afford for a "toy" (in my wife's words). I have been looking at the Axe CP+ or the Blade Pro. My other option is to wait for the Blade 400 (November). I WILL be upgrading the radio.....probably to a JR or Spektrum 6 or 7 channel. The radio that I had on my Raptor was a Futaba 9CAP. ANYWAY...... Any thoughts? Is there really that big a difference in belt drive vs. tail motor? I'm trying to avoid mail order (gotta support the local hobby shops). I will eventually be going the way of the 600 probably, but that will be a while. Keep in mind that I was pretty good with hovering, but never got into forward flight. Any advice is appreciated.
silhouette015
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:55 pm
PostPost subject:

Spectre,

As a TREX 450 flier my self, I think you should go for a TREX helicopter or one of that class (minitian, gazaur, dragonus, lepton, etc.). The reason is because since you've flown a raptor before, the axe and the blade pro will become not-so-challenging for you pretty fast. The new TREX line (V2) has a cheaper model for you to choose; the 450S or the 450SA. Then you can save some money on the initial setup, meaning the servos and the gyro and the battery pack. The belt-cp would be a good alternative though.

Do you still have the futaba 9 or did you sell it? If you still have it, then that's a very good radio already (although it would be better if you had a 9CHP). If you have to buy a new radio, go for one with spektrum technology, either wait for the Futaba FASST technology or go for spektrum dx7, I think those are the best bet. Wink
impact_flier
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:41 pm
PostPost subject:

Spectre,

since you seem to like big models, Hurricane 550 by Gaui is another choice. It's almost as big as T-REX 600 but doesn't cost as much. It draws power from two 3-cells battery packs, so you save money there too.

I think there's a review of it on this site.
Spectre
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:04 pm
PostPost subject:

Actually, the Trex 450 is almost out of my budget. Getting back into RC is always expensive. IF I sell my welder for what I'm asking for it, I could probably manage it if I went sort of cheap on the radio for now. My other option is that I could probably manage something like the MX400. If I could manage to wait and not get impatient, I could get the Blade 400 in November (Comes with the Spektrum DX6i and brushless for $469).
silhouette015
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Spectre wrote:
Actually, the Trex 450 is almost out of my budget. Getting back into RC is always expensive. IF I sell my welder for what I'm asking for it, I could probably manage it if I went sort of cheap on the radio for now. My other option is that I could probably manage something like the MX400. If I could manage to wait and not get impatient, I could get the Blade 400 in November (Comes with the Spektrum DX6i and brushless for $469).

Um actually the MX400 (I know it as ARK X-400 Cool ) is quite a capable helicopter. In fact, when I was out shopping to buy a new helicopter (which ultimately landed me the T-REX) my local shop seller suggested that I go for it. His reason? It's quite an affordable helicopter but with quite an uncompromising performance. Also, spare parts are readily available. Seeing them in flights later on at my local fields proved the seller to be right too Smile

As for the blade 400, I don't think anyone can say much about it since it's not out yet. The radio set is promising though, being DSM2 and all.

I'd go for the MX400 though, it's a proven craft so you won't be gambling with a brand new model. Another reason.. November is a long time to wait especially when you've already go the cash. Wink
Spectre
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:40 am
PostPost subject:

I did some figuring, and Tower Hobbies has a package deal on the MX400, Granted, the radio included is a Futaba FM (cheap) radio, and all of the gear is pretty much Great Planes stuff, but I could get into it completely for around $550. For that price, I WOULD get LiPo though. If I wanted to upgrade to the Spektrum DX7, the cost would be around $700. I figure I could always start out with the combo deal, then as $$$ permits, upgrade the ESC, charger and radio. I'm glad to see that I'm close to being on the right track. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, here is a link to the combo deal. Should I piecemeal everything together, or go with the combo for now?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ0326**
hound15
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:36 pm
PostPost subject:

Spectre wrote:
I did some figuring, and Tower Hobbies has a package deal on the MX400, Granted, the radio included is a Futaba FM (cheap) radio, and all of the gear is pretty much Great Planes stuff, but I could get into it completely for around $550. For that price, I WOULD get LiPo though. If I wanted to upgrade to the Spektrum DX7, the cost would be around $700. I figure I could always start out with the combo deal, then as $$$ permits, upgrade the ESC, charger and radio. I'm glad to see that I'm close to being on the right track. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, here is a link to the combo deal. Should I piecemeal everything together, or go with the combo for now?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ0326**

Hello Spectre,

The site you provided didn't work. It said "invalid stock number" Don't go for radios that is too cheap, but if it's a futaba 6EX, then that's fine Smile One thing's for sure, always go for Li-Po packs; they are so much better. And go for one that's at least 2000 mAh.

I think there are two things that you should get expensive and good right off; the charger and the gyro. You should wait on the radio for now because of the boom in specktrum technology, the price will soon drop and the technology will soon improve. As a matter of fact, Futaba didn't even finish launching their first specktrum (FAAST) line yet, actually, they barely started!

The rest of the component, you can upgrade as you go. Wink
rat2mole
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:22 pm
PostPost subject:

Don't know if this reply is too late.. the MX400 will be good. But like impact_flier said, you seem to like big models (at least initially). The Hurricane 550 is really quite cheap when compared to T-REX 600... You should look it up.
robinhood
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:55 am
PostPost subject:

Actually, there's a Taiwanese imitation of T-REX, it's called Silver Hawk GL450. It's much cheaper and all the parts are interchangeable with the T-REX... Hard to find info on it though...
vrthai
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:17 pm
PostPost subject:

robinhood wrote:
Actually, there's a Taiwanese imitation of T-REX, it's called Silver Hawk GL450. It's much cheaper and all the parts are interchangeable with the T-REX... Hard to find info on it though...

Robinhood,

Where I come from the Silver Hawk goes by the same name. But the western world knows it as the Vulcan 450SE. In case anyone is trying to google it up... Wink
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: