Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Tip and Tricks

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:20 am
PostPost subject: Micro traning gear

Just had an idea for making up cheap and robust hubs for micro heli training gear as these parts often break..

Get a slab of neoprene rubber about 4-6 mm thick. Cut it into a small "+" shape with each arm being about 4-6 mm wide. Then, with a 1mm micro drill bit drill into the end of each arm.

All you need to do now is insert 4x 1.2mm or 1.5mm cf rods and you have your training gear hib. "O" ring the cf rods to you struts and stick some small polystyrene balls to the ends of the cf rods and you are done.

I use silicone mastic to glue on and coat the balls for non-skid "feet".

I just experimented and found you can also use a small block of high density closed cell foam for the hub. Just use a small sewing needle to make undersize holes for the cf rods and a dot of mastic or cyno on assembly and you will have a super-lightweight and robust hub. You can even use smaller blocks of foam instead of polystyrene balls on the ends of the cf rods. Round them off with an emery board and coat them with mastic when finished.

Here is a GREAT source of 1 metre long CF rods, tubes and sheet!

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/Category/Carbon-Fibre-Products/Carbon-Fibre-Rod.aspx

The rods are cheap as chips. Shipping costs are not super-high but a consideration so it's best to "bulk buy" in advance of your needs for a real bargain.
platinum
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:20 am
PostPost subject:

Very good project... Idea
Thanks for sharing.

platinum
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:04 pm
PostPost subject:

not bad, not bad at all. though, I am still partial to my hoola-hoop.... Wink
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:07 pm
PostPost subject:

Hoola hoop?

I know I have seen this but remind me...
Tom Lauten
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:51 pm
PostPost subject:

I just built myself a ring (out of 1.2mm cf rod) to go aound tips of the cf legs of my DIY training gear... like a "hoola hoop" as you called it. It works nicely. I attached it with some micro elastic bands (like orthodonture bands)

I just realised one could use a very small, thick neoprene tap washer for a central hub. I just cut up a 3mm chunck of neoprene and drilled out some 1mm holes in it for the legs and it worked a treat.

Next time I will try a thick neoprene washer and drill the holes inward from the edge on an upward angle so the fitted legs have a bit of downward splay, otherwise the heli tends to sit a bit flat on the hub and the legs. It's just a subtle difference but one I prefer.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 am
PostPost subject:

Original post talks about non-skid for the rod ends ... I suggest this is not a good idea as the training gear should not interfere with the heli's want to turn / pivot on ground / slide etc. If it does then trimming the heli will be more difficult as it will not be apparent out of trim till she starts lifting.

As to centre of rods ... my way after using up the 2 plastic hubs was to put rod ends together in pairs overlapped by 1.5" ... bind with insulating tape in bright colour ( that will be apparent why later ) ... then electrical ties as you use for tidying up your servo leads etc.
You then pass through your heli skids so they cross each other under the heli base frame plate. Electrical tie-wraps round rods of suitable loop size to pull rods down and pass loops over the skid ends to hold. Adjust the rods till joints are centred.

When flying - the bright tape centres of the rods can be seen telling you they are still centred or not.... I did try fixing them at centre as well together - but was found best to leave them separate.

Cheap easy and works a treat ... after loads of heavy landings - still in good condition.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Tip and Tricks All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: