Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

My grandson Kalob turns 13 this Monday!

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marks73
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:22 am
PostPost subject:

I suspect the Flysky receiver requires the choke on the esc to receiver cable. I'm installing the Hausler esc that I soldered the align motor leads to as we speak. Let you know in a few minutes.
marks73
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:49 am
PostPost subject:

As I suspected the rc choke allowed me to recalibrate the ESC to the radio. You may wish to note that in your CT-6B transmitter write up. The ESC has no information on it for me to look into it. I'm going to reinstall an Align ESC after Kalob enjoys his gift and verify my findings when he goes to school on Monday. BTW. I used marine grade solder butt connecters that have a product that seals the outer wire coating as you shrink it. I was an Electrical and Instrumentation supervisor for a while in a paper mill that used chlorine dioxide to bleach white their pulp. When I discovered these during an internet search they became our only way to connect wires in the field to protect the joint from chemical corrosion attack. Well worth the money IMHO.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=706&familyName=Ancor+Adhesive+Lined+Heat+Shrink+AWG+Butt+Connectors
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:53 am
PostPost subject:

I'm surprised that there was no Ferrite Ring on the ESC lead, Castel Creations is one of the better ESC manufactures out there, all their ESCs are usually sold with choke in place.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/products_fly.html

And yes I did have in mind to recommend fitting them to ESC, Gyro, and rudder servo.

To solder or not to solder the ESC/motor leads, usually fit bullet connectors makes for quick motor disablement, the trade off being some resistence.

Lets hope you can get airborne ok on Monday.

Burgess
marks73
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:54 am
PostPost subject:

With what I have learned from you these past months I have no doubt. Just don't be surprised when you here from some kid named Kalob that you were highly recommended! Cool
The Align motor connector leads were slightly smaller than the Hausler ESC wires. 16ga vs 14ga. But I think having the proper size connector to the motor leads was worth the tryin this late stage of the game. Would hate to show the lad the gift without letting him try it out.
I've decided to let him decide. Do you want to level the swash plate? Do you want the training gear off my trainer/crasher? A term he's heard me use and has witnessed quite often. Maybe I should poll the questions as to his reply tomorrow. Wink
marks73
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:36 pm
PostPost subject:

Tried adjusting the pitch for his launch this afternoon (he was tied up with teenagers yesterday) I found the bird was -5 at 50, off the scale at zero. Best I could get using an ID pitch curve of 0,50,50,50,100 was -7 at 0, 0 at 50, +7 at 100. To get 0 at 50 required the A links to be turned in tight. I'm wondering if I shouldn't set them back to 23.5mm length but that requires VR A to be turned completely to the right to achieve 0 at 50. Any thoughts?
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:36 pm
PostPost subject:

OK Mark, verify the length of the links measure from eye centre to eye centre.

A =20.0mm
B =23.5mm (flybar control to mixing arms)
D =42.0mm (long pitch links)

Servos to Swash (approx lengths)
M = 31.3mm
N = 45.0mm
O = 40.3mm

These may vary after levelling the swash

Check my list of settings in my last post of the other thread "Wont lift. Pushes down???"

Start off with:
On your CT6B set RV A central
Set the Idle-up Pitch Curve 00%; 25%; 50%; 75%; 100%.
Set Swash AFR to 100%

With the Collective At 50% both sets of mixing arms should be at 90 degree to the main shaft See photo and the blade holders should be at zero degrees, as set by the ply plate in the blades holders.

And the servo arms at 90 degrees to the main shaft.

Now check the maximum deflections Collective max up and max down. If off the scale then reduce the AFR CH6 to say 80% click OK and take pitch gauge readings, adjust till max up pitch is no more than 12 degrees. Now reduce the other two AFR settings CH1 and CH2 to say 40% each.

Now reset both pitch curves

NOR
EP0 50%
EP1 62%
EP2 75%
EP3 87%
EP4 100%

ID
EP0 20%
EP1 25%
EP2 75%
EP3 87%
EP4 100%

Switch to Normal flight mode THROTTLE HOLD ON and take pitch readings for each EP position. There ought to be about 6 degrees at mid stick and about 12 degrees at top stick.

Keep the VR A at its setting.
*****************************EDIT*************************
Turn the VR B to about 60% from its mid point CCW from LED on.

that should be
Turn the VR B to about 60% from its mid point CLOCKWISE from LED on.

Now spool up if the tail tends to drift to your right, just compensate a little with left rudder. At around mid stick the heli should become light on the skids and then lift off.

If the tail wags quickly reduce the setting in small steps back towards the mid point, till no more wagging. Disconnect and reconnect after each adjustment.

Burgess
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:23 am
PostPost subject:

Mark
With those setting, can you give the pitch angles in Normal flight mode, for bottom, mid, and top stick.

Burgess
marks73
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:50 pm
PostPost subject:

Verified linkage rods. #2 D rod was 2 full turns off compared to #1D. Both are now at 42mm. A and B are correct as well though A is completely tight and I have -3 on blade 1 and -2 on blade 2.
Here is my anomaly. This is ID at 50 collective with swash plate leveled.

As you can see the arms are not horizontal to the ground. It takes approximately 85% collective to have the arms level.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:25 am
PostPost subject:

The penny dropped.

Today I wanted to tweak the throttle curves on my FS-CT6B and, hooked up to the computer, there was a glitch. Re-launched T6CONFIG and found that all the setting were lost. On re-entering all the settings -had them all written down- found I had exactly the same problem you've been experiencing.

The problem is the Swash AFR settings.

Set to CH1 50%; CH2 50%; CH6 65%

set Pitch Curve
ID
EP0 00%;
EP1 25%;
EP2 50%;
EP3 75%;
EP4 100%

set all link rods as per Align spec

Take pitch readings at top stick, bottom stick and mid stick.

E.g.,
top +10 deg
bot -9 deg
mid + 1 deg

shorten D link one or two turns

top +9.5 deg
bot -9.5 deg
mid 0.0 deg

Increase Swash AFR CH6 percentage and this will open out the max deflections top and bottom.

Re set normal pitch curve set down all five positions by qual amounts e.g.,
NOR
EP0 40%;
EP1 52%;
EP2 65%;
EP3 77%;
EP4 90%

Burgess
marks73
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:57 pm
PostPost subject:

And here I thought it was me loosing my mind. Seems most times I open the t6 config it has different values than those I was sure I had put in. The worst was when I found my ID and Norm pitch curves were reversed. On Kalobs' build I have 2 programs because when I found the values changed on the first, I just wrote another and started from scratch as it were.
Yesterday he almost went through a complete battery pack hovering training. He did quite well until a blade strike too a piece out of the leading edge of 1 blade and decided to call it a day. I have another set ready for him and will go over what to look for damage wise. I believe he has the bug though.
Yesterday we had -8 at 0, -1 at 50 and, +6 at 100. So today I'll have him set the pitch curve to get our -10 to +10. I had to use about 25% of VR A to achieve 0 at 50% collective and knowing he was ready to fly went with it at those numbers figuring he would never get much above 60% and he didn't. Was great to see the bird fly and his enjoyment of it.
We'll get to work on those numbers you recommend. Thanks for the assistance.
marks73
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:59 pm
PostPost subject:

Replaced D2 ball link That must have been damaged in last crash. Re-leveled swash plate as training exercise. With VR A at mid point was able to achieve 0 at 50% ID, Swash AFR settings to 50, 50, 59. We now have +10, 0, and -10 spot on. Last I saw, He and his best friend were headed to the field with bird, training gear and radio. Let you know what it looks like when they return. Very Happy
marks73
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:24 am
PostPost subject:

Oops. After about a minute and a half, Kalob decided hover training was too boring. And stated so. Took all of about 15 seconds to break one blade holder ball link off, bend the feathering shaft, dislodge the gyro from the bady and bend the tail boom. Surprised
We just spent an hour and a half learning what it takes to replace a feathering shaft and blade holder. Very Happy At least he didn't walk away from the bird.
We decided to do the tail boom and then re-level the swash plate and set the pitch lesson for tomorrow morning or maybe tonight.
Wait until he gets the parts bill! I'm thinking the lawn could use a good cutting.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:25 am
PostPost subject:

Good to hear things are working out.

Now you've gotten the Align T-rex airborne, you can tame down Cyclic response by reducing Swash AFR settings for CH1 and CH2 to say to 40%.

Regarding the T6CONFIG files, now you've got settings that work, save two copies for each heli, one as a default set-up and one as a working file, that way you won't loose all settings.

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:12 am
PostPost subject:

marks73 wrote:
Wait until he gets the parts bill! I'm thinking the lawn could use a good cutting.

That's the way to do it, he'll never learn control without learning the consequences. Couldn't resist a comment on that part but I leave the rest to Burgess, he's doing a great job here and I wouldn't want to interrupt him.

Tom.
marks73
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:04 am
PostPost subject:

All help is appreciated on this end. You are correct sir in that Burgess has been just a wealth of knowledge and the fact that he was willing to purchase what I have and assist in the troubleshooting of it is beyond the call.
Feel free to chime in anytime.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: