Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Need newbie advice.

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunner63755
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:06 am
PostPost subject: Need newbie advice.

Ok, here goes. I ordered a helicopter from BassPro because I had credits they owed me. Out of stock and no backorders. On the search again for my first bird. I am 63 and this looks like a great hobby. Could you give me advice for a 1st electric helicopter. I am retired so budget is a concern.
1. Stay around $100.00 range for the first one.
2. Capable of indoor and outdoor flight.
3. Decent size, not a mini.
4. Beginner friendly.
5. Suggested brand?
6. Need everything to fly it out of the box.

Thanks for your help. Mike in Missouri
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:20 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Mike,

Like most things with RC Helicopters you get what you pay for and I think your budget is going to be a bit tight for a hobby grade helicopter. One of the most important things with an RC Helicopter is a source of spare parts,you are going to crash, hobby grade helicopter sold locally normally have plenty of spares, the Hobby Shop make more off spares than they do off selling the original helicopter, but that is far better that having a helicopter the sit on the shelf because you can't find spares.

Your brother-in-law is already into helicopters maybe he can help.

Something that can help you on your journey is an RC flight simulator when you first start out they can be as much fun as flying because when you crash the helicopter repairs itself and off you go again.

What to start with I would recommend that you have a look at the E-flite Blade range they make great beginners helicopters are can progress you right through to 500 size, that about a 3 foot rotor disk.

Anyway what ever way you go have fun that's what it is all about.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.php/cPath/2_382/n/RC-Helicopters-Kits
oldschoolrc
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:55 am
PostPost subject: Re: Need newbie advice.

gunner63755 wrote:
Ok, here goes. I ordered a helicopter from BassPro because I had credits they owed me. Out of stock and no backorders. On the search again for my first bird. I am 63 and this looks like a great hobby. Could you give me advice for a 1st electric helicopter. I am retired so budget is a concern.
4. Beginner friendly.
5. Suggested brand?

Thanks for your help. Mike in Missouri

Hey Mike from Mo I'm also a Mo resident-- As far as getting started The co-ax from Wal-Mart is good around $50 BUT they don't handle wind outside. For a good 4 channel fixed pitch that will fly outside at around $100 or less look at the MJX F-45 shuttle. There are a TON of them in use They are TOUGH bird. They are avail on E-bay for 90-100 bucks and repair parts are readily avail and cheap$$
There is a forum on RC Groups with over 600 posts from around 2010 to present. It is a fun chopper with some minor mods it performs to a level that pushes the learner!! I have one with about 50 flights (duration about 15 min ea. )are not "hobby grade" but a step up from "TOY" the TX is programmable for reducing sensitivity to help you "get the feel" of flying as 4 ch fixed pitch
Hope this helps you and doesn't confuse you too much.
JCDoherty
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:02 pm
PostPost subject:

Hey Mike, at 100$ budget I'm afraid your limited to micros.

I'd skip the coax and just pick up a v911 fixed pitch 4 channel (rtf) ready to fly, package and just go for it.

You can find them on Amazon or Ebay to your door for about 50$

Challenging at first then a lot of fun as you learn the different orientations and can actually make it do what you want, most of the time.

No Flips or rolls or anything fancy but great to start out learning and having fun.

Parts for the v911 are plentiful and inexpensive but the helicopter can take a lot abuse before needing any repairs.

I learned on mine and crashed it plenty but so far have only replaced one main blade, one tail rotor blade and just ordered a new main motor as I ran back to back battery packs and got mine too hot.

If you like the hobby move up to a (cp) collective pitch, much more difficult, but 3d capable and if flying isn't your thing then your not out too much money and you have a great gift for a kid.

Have a good one, Jim
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:06 am
PostPost subject:

Hello Mike Ice and welcome to the forum.

You asked for a helicopter that would:
4. Beginner friendly.
5. Suggested brand?

Points 1 through 5 possible, however, point 6, not with your specified budget.

Here is a suggestion:

Helicopter
HK-250GT Electric Helicopter Kit (Alloy/CF w/ Blades) $36.86
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9974__HK_250GT_Electric_Helicopter_Kit_Alloy_CF_w_Blades_.html

Radio set
Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch Tx & Rx V2 (Mode 2) $25.07
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9042__Hobby_King_2_4Ghz_6Ch_Tx_Rx_V2_Mode_2_.html

Other required items that you can obtain from Hobbyking.com that should be obtainable within or close to you budget and will fulfill kit specification requirements.
Brushless Outrunner Motor
Servos
Gyro
Receiver
ESC
Lipoly Battery (800mAh 3S)

With the airframe being compatible with the Align 250, replacement Align components ought to be available within you locality.

Building and set-up the helicopter will enrich your experience of RC helicopters, and when you need to do your first repair you'll be competent right-off.

You will have a model quality helicopter that you can fly outdoors, or if space permitting indoors.

Hey, life's a bowl of cherries, sometimes you've got to pick your own.

Burgess
gunner63755
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:47 am
PostPost subject: Thanks for the info guys. One more thing.

For a first helicopter that I can fly outside, how lousy is this one for the price? I just don't want to get into it to heavy on the front end and not continue in the hobby. Would appreciate it if you could give me feedback of your thoughts on this ebay item.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321185893335?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:17 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi gunner63755,

They do fly just don't make any sudden turns or you end up with blade strikes and the flybar wrapped around the top blades.

My mate got one as a present flew it once and it is now an ornament on the shelf, because he doesn't want to offend the friend that gave it to him.
gunner63755
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 pm
PostPost subject: Thanks Keith.

Appreciate the advice. 59.00 for a first won't break the bank, so that is the way I'll go.
gunner63755
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:25 am
PostPost subject: Got my first bird.

Well, after all the advice you guys gave me, a friend gave me my first helicopter. It is 13" and I actually flew it. Has lights in the nose and tail. It is rtf and I actually flew it. Short flight time. Gotta recharge. Do you guys just keep extra batteries ready to go or what? Sure would be nice to have more flight time. I have no instructions. It is metal framed and good looking in my opinion. It is dual rotor with gyro, made in Korea.. I did pretty good with it. Haven't tore it up anyway. I don't know the brand even. Only markings it has is EIPIOITEP. Not a clue. Anybody know anything about it. I am sure it is a cheap helicopter, but what the heck. I will use it to learn to fly and get something better later.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:57 am
PostPost subject:

Well done at least you've got a heli now.

From that ref: EIPIOITEP, I found these details.

SkyRover Exploiter EX-001 by Auldey toys.
3 Channel coax
13" nose to tail
6 3/4" high
2 1/4" wide
Main rotor blade length 5 1/2", diameter is 11 3/4"
Tail rotor blade 3" X .5"
battery - 7.37V/1000MHA Li rechargeable

It's usual for the battery to be fixed in this type of small coaxal helicopter. You'll need to allow time for the battery to cool down after each flight.

Burgess
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:19 am
PostPost subject:

Hello Gunner:

Welcome to the forum. The more the merrier.

All the guys gave you good advise. I would just say again. Get a brand name that there are parts available for. I have found the E-flite is a good quality helicopter. Horizon is one of the distributors for e-flite. Plus most mom & pop hobby shop handle e-flite. Parts are available everywhere.

I personally have e-flite helicopters. My favorite RC helicopter is the B400 blade (e-flite).

I would add that some time back I bought a 1AQ helimax for my grandson. It's a Little bitsy quad (4 motor). I tested it out and loved it. I kept the 1sq. I fly it all over the house. Finally wore out a motor and gave it to a friend and he fixed it. That got me to thinking maybe a big quad would be better. It was. I now have two. A Whirlwind I got from hobby king and a X525 I got from hobby king or maybe Xheli. Just today I got another quad frame from Bluesky. It's also a 450 size. They (?) say you can fly these quads like a fixed wing model. I'm just starting so I feel if I get it up, buzz around a little and get it back in one piece I'm doing good.

I hope you find what you want. I'm 72 and it is a great hobby. I love putting them together more than flying them but that's just me. That's what I like the most about the quads. They are easy to build and set up.

When you get into bigger RC helicopters do get a simulator. Will save you lots of money.

jack
gunner63755
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:25 am
PostPost subject: Thanks again guys.

Good information that I needed. Burgess, thanks to you, I know what I own now. I can see a 24-30 Helicopter in my future. I want the capability to fly outside.
Champion1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:08 pm
PostPost subject:

Hobby grade helicopter sold locally normally have plenty of spares, the Hobby Shop make more off spares than they do off selling the original helicopter, but that is far better that having a helicopter the sit on the shelf because you can't find spares.????
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: