NEW...SmartModel raised tail TT drive

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Scale Helis

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Casa Grande AZ, USA. 66 and yes! Heli's reverse aging!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:52 pm
PostPost subject: NEW...SmartModel raised tail TT drive

As some of you know, I have a thread going on my A-109 build. I have hit the ever popular unexpected delay for lack of parts on that project so......

I opened up the next project. It will be the RCAerodyne UH/SH-60 500 size. The main build consideration with this kit from RCA is the flex cable drive system for the tail rotor. From the very start I knew I wanted to do away with the cable system. I saw where SmartModel had a raised tail drive for the 600/700 size heli's. I shot off a message to Kin at SM as to the possibility of them producing the same thing in a 500 size. I was very surprised that the answer was "Yes!" and would I like to have the first production drive when they were ready to go. My answer was "Yes!"

That was Feb. of this year. Things moved slow at SM and I had about given up hope of having the drive in time to install in the UH-60 kit I had purchased. As things worked out, I had a move from Washington state to Arizona with a delay from permanent residence to residence. I lived in a 37 foot motor home with no place to build or even store heli's for quite a while. Well the new home and build area are set up and I wanted to get SM system up and running ASAP. I had promised Kin to do an evaluation of the drive as soon as I could.

Here it is.

My first impression on opening the package was that these guys did a great job in the fit and finish. Really looks quality.
Second was to check the size of the miter (bevel) gears to see what replacement possibilities were out there. I am very pleased to say, the gears are the same size as the umbrella gears used in the TRex 500 and most other clones including HK, TAROT, CopterX, and Full House Heli, to name a few. The idler gear can be made from either the front drive or the actual tail rotor shaft. Both have the miter gear attached and just need to be cut down to fit.

For the UH-60 I had to use a needle file to lengthen the holes a bit as the drop angle was not quite deep enough on the front transmission. All the rest was very straight forward and a snap to do. Measure carefully prior to cutting the boom and torque tubes is the only caution I can think of.
So far I have only done a bench run up without main rotor head or tail rotor blades installed. Smooth as silk up to about 1500/1600 RPM. That is about where I will be running so did not take it any higher.

I really like this drive system so far. Time will tell on endurance, but looking good so far!

The front transmission....

The rear transmission....

The bare-bones....

What they fit into!

Please enjoy!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:29 pm
PostPost subject:

That's going to be one smart piece of kit Dave.

Tom.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:21 am
PostPost subject:

Looks far more efficient than the belt drive raised tail on the UH-1, food for thought.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 am
PostPost subject: ...forgot to mention...

I forgot to mention the weight of this drive system. A very important aspect for the scale builder as weight can get out of hand quite easily.

272g full up!

This is the entire boom assembly from the front gearbox to the tail rotor assembly, including blades. If doing a weight comparison just pull the boom loose at the body and weigh the entire thing to include the belt.
Be fair now as the 272g I measure is for the RAISED TAIL modification and is quite a bit longer than a "normal" boom assembly on a 500 size pod-and-boom heli.

Admiral....another benefit over a belt drive system, at least for the TRex 500's and clones is the static build-up and RX interference issue of the belt system. A lot of discussion as to the "why and wherefore's", but it does exist and seems to be an especially big issue with the 500's. The TT versions do not exhibit this tendency. One more small issue not to have to worry about.
Perez Turner
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:04 am
PostPost subject:

272g is light weight as compare with this machine. Really excellent piece of work I have seen here. What is the expected cost of this model in final shape? Its really a smart piece of work you did!

Last edited by Perez Turner on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:38 am
PostPost subject:

Perez...I have not figured out a final cost to that UH-60 project for fear that my wife my see the post and demand equal dollars for her hobby. She collects and sells 45 rpm records.

God forbid we should both spend as much as I do on my Heli fixation!!!

I still have a four blade tail rotor to add to this model. More dollars!!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:17 am
PostPost subject:

Glad to know that I am not the only one with a wife problem like that Dave, as she has had to cancel her trip to Scotland due to a broken leg she seems to think that I should cancel my (large for me) quad build.

I pointed out that I don't have a broken leg but she says that a broken arm or head can be arranged and that might effect my flying ability! However, I've only got the motors to go and if they slip through I can finish the build.

Tom.

P.S. Recon we oldis must stick together and not fade away! Razz
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:50 am
PostPost subject:

Tom...have your wife and mine been communicating with each other and you and I missed it?

I sense a sinister plot afoot and me thinks we should stand at high alert or perish from our own inaction!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:19 am
PostPost subject:

Sure you're right there Dave, it does seem that our hobbys are expendible in the face of grand childrens' needs. Confused

I've used an old biscuit barrel as a canopy on my new Quad as the cost of a storage box (just the right size) at €1.00 (about $1.33 USD) was banned. "Find something else or else!" was the order of the day. Did it though -. see this post:

http://www.electric-rc-helicopter.com/phpbb/battery-container-made-from-paper-packaging-t4054.html

Keep on trucking!

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Scale Helis All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: