Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Newbie Progress

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Simulators / Training Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:43 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
With the control you show in the vid Gary, I would say dump the strings and training gear. You don't need them and the heli would fly much better.

Go for it!

Tom.

I agree with Thombo, get rid of all the training gear, it's now inhibiting your progress, find a bigger area and go for it, and yes you will probably break stuff but that is how you push the envelope.

Your progressing a lot quicker than I did, your doing great.
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:37 pm
PostPost subject:

Laughing Cool

You know, I just might......I'm going to leave it a couple of days though, the windguru forecast isn't that good locally.

In my previous post I said I'd bent the flybar....wrong Embarassed

Terminology confusion. I'd bent the horizontal axis bar, anyway, it's straight now.

I've now found a RC heli Glossary, I might start to sound like I know what I'm talking about now Rolling Eyes
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm
PostPost subject:

G.K. wrote:
You know, I just might......I'm going to leave it a couple of days though, the windguru forecast isn't that good locally.

As my flying instructor used to say when taking off or landing in gusty Xwinds, Just gentle zephyrs. Laughing
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:48 pm
PostPost subject:

Still on the string with training gear and in the garage, I haven't had a chance to try outside without the string, this seems like the next logical step.

I've been having fun on HelisimRC with some orientation practice. I can hover reliable with the tail in, nice and steady moving between the squares and landing. So now I've set the rudder trim so the heli rotates constantly.....I can keep it in the air but not quite in one spot Laughing, getting better though.

A couple of quick questions:

What effect does the training gear on flight handling apart from extra weight? some sort of pendulum effect I would guess.....but as I say, I'm guessing.

What effect does rotor wash have when hovering in a confined space or near a wall?
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:33 pm
PostPost subject:

Lose the string. You don't need it. It could cause some serious repairs.

jack
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:01 am
PostPost subject:

G.K. wrote:
What effect does the training gear on flight handling apart from extra weight? some sort of pendulum effect I would guess.....but as I say, I'm guessing.

What effect does rotor wash have when hovering in a confined space or near a wall?

Training gear alters the whole flight charactaristics, safer - well maybe - but not good for flying. Lose it A.S.A.P.

Near a wall the rotor wash tends to pull you into it. Not good, so beware! Sad

Tom.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 am
PostPost subject:

G.K. wrote:

Hi G.K.

The training gear balls start vibrating up and down in unison make the helicopter dam hard to fly, quick answer either loose them all together or at least shorten them by at least half.

Hovering near anything varies the flow of air from the Rotors creating unpredictable turbulence, a good demo of this is if you fly a small indoor helicopter try flying in level to land on a coffee table, as the front of the rotor disk starts to get ground effect from the edge of the coffee table the Helicopter becomes very unstable.
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:41 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the replies. The technicalities are slowly becoming clearer. I hadn't considered Resonating balls.

I'm in no rush to free fly, I'm enjoying the learning......that said the string will go in the next couple of days.

This hobby fits in nicely with my other interest which requires wind, when there's none I can fly the heli

Learnt loads with your help and from the older posts on these boards....thanks all. Cool
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:23 pm
PostPost subject:

You're very welcome Gary, we all try to help as much as we can.

Sounds like your other hobby may be like mine:

Kites?

RC Sail?

Real sailing?

Tom.
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:30 pm
PostPost subject:

Where do you sail from Tom?

Yes, I have done RC sailing many moons ago, loads of time to react. Done big boat sailing to, out of Eastbourne Sovereign harbour, although good fun it's not may favourite sort of sailing.

This is one of the things we really enjoy doing together

This is us in Chichester Harbour, it isn't a race although dinghy racing is what we normally do.

.......I like to have strings attached
Laughing
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:28 pm
PostPost subject:

When I lived in Cornwall, I kept my boat (4 berth yacht) in Mylor marina, Falmouth Roads. Sold it when I moved to the Algarve. Decided £500 a trip (total anual cost+depreciation/no of trips) was not feasible on my pension, us OAPs have to be a bit careful sometimes! So, now it's just RC around my pool with the little cat. Fun but not the same.

In the past I sailed in the South China Sea, North Sea, Atlantic North & South and the Gulf (before troubles broke out). Never really sailed dingies at all.

Tom.
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:42 pm
PostPost subject:

OK, so I've got rid of the string and ventured outside. I'm fortunate that we have a 5.5 acre private garden directly over the road, pick the right time of day and there's no one in there......great for hover practise but none of the lawns are really big enough to for a novice to free fly.

One issue I have is the "clicky" nature of the joysticks, particularly the throttle. One click is not enough to get out of ground effect the next click and it climbs at about a foot a second, as seen in this video. I suppose that's down to the cheap e-sky transmitter although any suggestions on that problem would be appreciated. Smile

Link

I bounced around for one charge.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Gary,

Certainly time to lose the trainers that flying is as good as it can get with them fitted, now it's time to move on. Even doing the same without the trainers would be good. Just hold an eye-level hover in front of you, a full battery without touching the ground or moving out of a 2M (2.2yd) cube is challenge enough.

Re the Tx:

That ratchet is for fixed wing, get rid of it. Inside the Tx is a bar pressing on a serrated edge of the throttle stick. Sometimes you can just reverse the bar to give a smooth response, sometimes you have to file off the teeth of the ratchet. Either way, for helis, that ratchet has to go. Your throttle should move smoothly from low to high and stop in any position. NO RATCHET ALLOWED.

(I fly my helis and fixed wings without the ratchet and have NEVER found it on a real aircrafts throttle, just a friction control.)

Tom.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:58 am
PostPost subject:

Congratulations G.K.

You are ready, loose the training gear, it will amaze you how much easier it is to fly and more responsive.

Not sure about your Tx but on most of them you can remove the ratchet so that there are no notches, takes about 2 minutes and much more suited to fly helicopters where you are on the throttle constantly.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:30 am
PostPost subject:

Gary you for sure don't need your balls any more.

The helicopter will fly better after losing the weight too.

jack
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Simulators / Training All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: