Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:34 am
PostPost subject: NOTAR

Guys if i had time i would love to install a fan inside the tail of a Big Lama and vacuum all the hot air out of the fuse and straight out the tail ala Notar. Very Happy
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:35 pm
PostPost subject:

You could do just that with a small fan as fitted to boat and car ESCs

I have one of these ESCs below for servicing my car door windows, I made a jig for setting up the winding mechanism with the whole window cassette out of the car, and for adjusting when back in the door. Have to be outside the car to check the glass to gasket clearances and also operate the switches inside which isn't practicable. It's so much easier using my transmitter/receiver.

12V-16V 320A Brushed Speed Controller ESC for 1/10 1/12 RC Truck Car Boat E4J1

go on ebay.com and checkout ESC cooling fans and computer CPU Cooling Fan 25mm x 25mm x 10mm

Burgess
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:48 pm
PostPost subject:

Burgess wrote:
You could do just that with a small fan as fitted to boat and car ESCs

I have one of these ESCs below for servicing my car door windows, I made a jig for setting up the winding mechanism with the whole window cassette out of the car, and for adjusting when back in the door. Have to be outside the car to check the glass to gasket clearances and also operate the switches inside which isn't practicable. It's so much easier using my transmitter/receiver.

12V-16V 320A Brushed Speed Controller ESC for 1/10 1/12 RC Truck Car Boat E4J1

go on ebay.com and checkout ESC cooling fans and computer CPU Cooling Fan 25mm x 25mm x 10mm

Burgess
ha, Re car window...i was going to say thats thinking outside the box, but no, its typical rc thinking. Very Happy For the cooling fan...I dont think the notar would be worth trying. It is a interesting idea though. Kevin.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:56 pm
PostPost subject:

Consider this, if there is only an inlet for prop wash, once the air inside of the body is at a pressure equal to the pressure of the down-wash no more air can enter. For the down-wash to be an effective cooling agent there has to be an exhaust aperture to create an air-flow path through the body of the helicopter. Ok so the air could exit via the two front vents but that wouldn't be effective cooking for the rear motor. A fan would function as an extraction system rather than anti torque system. If the exhaust aperture is situated near the tail-end, then the long taper and reducing cross sectional area would accelerate the mid-stream laminar air-flow and act as an air-ram, if the exhaust is positioned just so, then down-wash would create a negative pressure and thereby augment the flow within the tail. Further to that, if the fan is positioned with in a venturi the air density will be reduced as it passes through thus reducing the load on the little fan motor.

Burgess
search-n-destroy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 pm
PostPost subject:

Burgess wrote:
Consider this, if there is only an inlet for prop wash, once the air inside of the body is at a pressure equal to the pressure of the down-wash no more air can enter. For the down-wash to be an effective cooling agent there has to be an exhaust aperture to create an air-flow path through the body of the helicopter. Ok so the air could exit via the two front vents but that wouldn't be effective cooking for the rear motor. A fan would function as an extraction system rather than anti torque system. If the exhaust aperture is situated near the tail-end, then the long taper and reducing cross sectional area would accelerate the mid-stream laminar air-flow and act as an air-ram, if the exhaust is positioned just so, then down-wash would create a negative pressure and thereby augment the flow within the tail. Further to that, if the fan is positioned with in a venturi the air density will be reduced as it passes through thus reducing the load on the little fan motor.

Burgess
Smile all right, i concur... but have you considered how the exiting air might cause issues in maintaining a hover? It would have to be perfectly straight or the heli will spin, but that could be fixed with an adjustable the air outlet. I dont know..i also think the prop wash from the main rotors will over power any or most of the effect the fan motor has, so we might need a bigger more powerful motor... Kevin.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:14 am
PostPost subject:

Small fan, low CFM so won't act like a thruster, and the gyro will cope with yaw tendances.

Burgess
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: