Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

phoenix or clearview?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Simulators / Training Goto page 1, 2  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jugbutt
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:57 am
PostPost subject: phoenix or clearview?

Which one is the best? They look great to the eye but i have never been on a clearview and only once on a phoenix!!

So I'm hope you can help me out.

thanks!!!!!!!!!!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:37 pm
PostPost subject:

A lot depends on your budget and future Txs.

Clearview will run with any controller (or Tx with USB connector) that windows recognises.
Phoenix will only run with the supplied dongle which you pick for the Tx you are going to use. You will not be able to buy a dongle for a different Tx.

The latest ClearView is very competitive, the only immediate differences are:

ClearView - Instant retract and flap, no retracts on wheeled helicopters, smoke not switchable in flight.
Phoenix - Slow retract and flaps, retracts on wheeled helicopters, smoke switchable in flight.

ClearView free download, $39.95 reg fee, reg code via email never more than a day. Reg is transferrable to another computer.
Phoenix $129.00 plus shipping (unless your LHS has a copy for sale).

My personal choice is ClearView, I have both but use ClearView the most. I find that I can make models for it and try different changes to see how they look in flight before building. Much harder to do in Phoenix.

Selection of my models here .
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:09 pm
PostPost subject:

I use Clearview. I like it. Lots of Free models available for it.

Jack
NMGeezer
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:09 pm
PostPost subject:

jugbutt,

I use Phoenix and am very happy with it. There are a lot of models that come with the program and more being added all the time. All new upgrades and models are free and a lot of different scenery. The models are easily edited to fly close to the real thing.
You do need a TX, but any TX with a trainer port will work. If you plan on continuing in the RC hobby and decide on Phoenix, get the $129.99 version without the DX5e TX and purchase the DX6i or the DX7 separately (not the DX7se), you will be money ahead in the long run.

I can't give a comparison of realistic flight model between Clearview and Phoenix since I don't have Clearview, but Phoenix is a whole lot better than FS one.

Tombo does have one point that is impossible to argue with, The $39.95 price tag on Clearview can't be beat for what you get. At that price , I might get a copy of Clearview just to compare Smile
jugbutt
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:08 am
PostPost subject:

Man the people on this site is awesome thanks for everthing!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:09 am
PostPost subject:

Your welcome jugbutt,

We always do our best to help. We're a sort of "International Self Aid" group here. Unusual if there is not an answer quickly.
BillyFra56
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:18 am
PostPost subject: Sims

I have Clearview and Phoenix too. I like Clearview the best. I am putting my Phoenix with the cord up for sale for 75 dollars. I dont need them both.
13flatspins
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:25 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
A lot depends on your budget and future Txs.

Clearview will run with any controller (or Tx with USB connector) that windows recognises.
Phoenix will only run with the supplied dongle which you pick for the Tx you are going to use. You will not be able to buy a dongle for a different Tx.

The latest ClearView is very competitive, the only immediate differences are:

ClearView - Instant retract and flap, no retracts on wheeled helicopters, smoke not switchable in flight.
Phoenix - Slow retract and flaps, retracts on wheeled helicopters, smoke switchable in flight.

ClearView free download, $39.95 reg fee, reg code via email never more than a day. Reg is transferrable to another computer.
Phoenix $129.00 plus shipping (unless your LHS has a copy for sale).

My personal choice is ClearView, I have both but use ClearView the most. I find that I can make models for it and try different changes to see how they look in flight before building. Much harder to do in Phoenix.

Selection of my models here .

I have had Clearview for years. You forgot to mention that if you purchase a license you get free upgrades for life!! Smile I prefer to use my old Dave Brown Simstar controller because the switches work. (ie. throttle hold & idle up) I don't have them working with my USB cable to my DX6i Tx. Go to rcflightsim.com

Flatspins
magyarbacsi
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:27 am
PostPost subject: phoenix or clearview

I had/have both and in comparison, I like Phoenix best, even though it cost more. I used clearview first with a Dynam 6ch controller. I had so much problems with this system and never could figure out if it was my lap top pc with Windows 7, the controller or the program. I had to reconfigure the control settings every time I turned the program on. The rudder would either not work or jump from center to the end point. If Icallibrated the controller at the beggining it would work, most of the time. Then I tried using my Futaba Xe6 with the adapter and usb, the program would not accept it. The graphics were ok, but I had this constant mid air collision with unseen objects. As what you see and where the boundries were not in sinc.

I then purchased the phoenix. What a difference in the graphics. Some of the flying sites look like post cards. The program downloads from a disc that you remove and can re install over and over should you need to when your lap top goes belly up. The copters are harder to fly,3D, but the scales one I can manage quite well. It also has free upgrades for life and I can use my 6 ch Futaba with out having to callibrated it all the time. I did it at first install and have not had to mess with it since.

My lap top had to be debugged and was reset to factory settings. In the process I lost clearview, but will contact them and see if I can re install it, but not sure why I would want to, other than the copters were easier to fly and it was paid for.

Clearview was very quick to respond with all the problems I had with the program, but their suggestions did not always fix the problems. Not knowing what component was not functioning I'm not putting the blame on clearview. However, I had absolutely no issues with phoenix from the start so I am a lot happier with it.

I Flew RealFlight at the local hobby shop and the sales rep said get the Phoenix, it is better and cost less. My son has RealFlight and heagrees, the graphics is better and jus allaround a better product. All being said, to each his/her's own and depends on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend. I paid $129, free shipping, for the disc and cables. If you gat the full package, $175 no matter where you buy it, you do get a real 5 chTx, but have to buy the receiver if you want to use it with real flying fixed wing models.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:41 am
PostPost subject:

Hi magyarbacsi,

I you want to reinstall ClearView then support will supply the codes you need by return email. You have a lifetime license so it seems a pity not to use it. The programme is improving all the time.

Tom.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Casa Grande AZ, USA. 66 and yes! Heli's reverse aging!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:44 am
PostPost subject:

I too use ClearView (and Tombo's models....Thanks Tombo!!)

I find that the only thing that really is not worked out is the ground effects.

If I could hover at 2 inches (80mm or so) in real life I would be a very happy camper!
Heli-Man
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:33 am
PostPost subject:

I have a question about ClearView i have a DX6i can i make changes on this transmitter such as pitch curves dual rates and expo and be able to fly my chosen helicopter feeling these transmitter changes or does it just simulate the stick movements.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:03 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Heli-man,

You cannot set pitch curves on your Tx for ClearView. the settings for the Tx side of the sim engine are at the bottom of the "params" file.
Look for this section (this is from my 'Tombos Blade 400 3D')

#begin transmiter.transmiter1
breakPartName none
debug 0.0
expo1 0.0 // between -1,1 negative=smoother around center
expo2 0.0
expo3 0.0
expo4 0.0
expo5 0.0
expo6 0.0
expo7 0.0
expo8 0.0
pitchCurveIdleUp -1.0 -0.5 0.0 0.5 1.0
pitchCurveNormal -0.2 -0.1 0.0 0.5 1.0
pitchCurveThrottleHold -1.0 -0.5 0.0 0.5 1.0
rate1 1.0 // between 0 and 1 , 1=100% rate
rate2 1.0
rate3 1.0
rate4 0.6
rate5 1.0
rate6 1.0
rate7 1.0
rate8 1.0
tailPitchCurveIdleUp 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
tailPitchCurveNormal -0.75 -0.15 -0.02 0.0 0.0
tailPitchCurveThrottleHold 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
throttleCurveIdleUp 1.0 0.5 0.0 0.5 1.0
throttleCurveNormal -1.0 -0.8 0.0 0.5 1.0
throttleCurveThrottleHold -1.0 -1.0 -1.0 -1.0 -1.0
trim1 0.0 // between -1,1
trim2 0.0
trim3 0.0
trim4 0.0
trim5 0.0
trim6 0.0
trim7 0.0
trim8 0.0
txmodel 1.0 // 0=raw tx data, 1=heli, 2=plane model
#end transmiter.transmiter1

This is also the place to set trims as all trims are set to the values here on loading/reloading a model.

Beware - as in real life - of setting trim. When inverted; trims are reversed and you can get some spectacular crashes.

Tom.
Huh
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:18 am
PostPost subject: Clearview & Quadcopters

Hey Tombo, any truth to the info that Clearview doesn't accept Quadcopters due to some restraints in the Clearview program?

If so, are there any plans to modify?

I have both Clearview & Phoenix, prefer Heli's in Clearview, but I am now into Quadcopters which Clearview doesn't appear to support.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:15 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Huh,

I have found that ClearView does not support more than one gyro. As you need three (min) for a quad you can never get it to fly right. It is possible to put the instructions into the parameter files - but they are just ignored. Some people cheat (I've seen it done) and use a fixed pitch heli in a quad disguise. I refuse to do this.

I do not know if Stefan has plans for the extra gyros and accelerometers required to programme a proper quad model but I doubt it right now - he is quite busy.

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Simulators / Training All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: