Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Pre-build electronics checks

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:54 pm
PostPost subject: Pre-build electronics checks

Eagerly awaiting the postman with a 450 FBL kit and its motor, servos, gyros, ESC/UBEC, program cards etc. Then another delivery with a DX6i and rx... All very exciting. Very Happy (But may be a while coming from China).

Without delay I'd like to test all the electronics for basic functionality, then if there's a problem, I can get back to the suppliers. This is before I start building the kit and will be the first time for everything - and I've never programmed a tx before.

So, what will be the easiest way to hook everything up direct just to see that the motor turns and the gyros twitch etc. without burning anything out? You can guess what I'm after. I can cobble together anything for testing. On hand will be 3 x 2S lipos, tons of AA and AAA rechargeables, transformers with outputs 1.5 - 12V DC etc. (I wasn't getting the 3S lipos until I'm sure about the space available on the tray and under the canopy).

What radio settings (if at all) will need to be made just to test out the electronics until I get an understanding of the programming? (I can operate sonar to sink submarines, but modern technology... Shocked )

Anything I learn I plan to do circuit diags. and photos in due course for future information of others on the forum.

Cheers
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:38 pm
PostPost subject:

Congratulations on your new helicopter 450 FBL Kit, you may be over complicating the electronics,

Draw out a wiring diagram. I have included an example, First bind your TX & RX then hook up your wires according to your receiver, the only adjustments you need to do at this stage is reverse the servos.

[/img]
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:02 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks, SkyHigh.

So, circuit dia. no probs. Bind tx and rx (read instructions - obviously needs power first), need at least 11V and hook up everything else. Any need to prog ESC (and gyro) yet with their individual programmers? I take it no need. Use tx to reverse servo throw (on the chosen one - I'll mark them port and stbd depending on throw). Swap outer two motor wires if perceived wrong direction.

If the tail servo is initially plugged into the rx direct and not via the gyro, I take it there'll be at least an indication that the gyro has power and is likely to function?

All so new.

If that's all that's required for initial checks with the electrics, it'll take a bit of pressure off the build rather than find a subsequent fault a month down the road and too late to complain. Laughing

Thanks again.
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:16 pm
PostPost subject:

Your intension was to “test all the electronics for basic functionality, and then if there's a problem, I can get back to the suppliers. This is before I start building the kit”

How to test them is how I described, what you are talking about now is after they have been installed, when you say obviously needs power first, obviously, your ESC will come setup by the manufactures, and you may wish to change this later. The gyro position is more important than programming at this stage. You then say “I take it no need. Use tx to reverse servo throw” if you had read my post you will see I said “the only adjustments you need to do at this stage is reverse the servos.” The motor wires can be swapped when checking the head on spool up if nessosory.

What interreges me is you ask a question then proclaimed to know all the answers.
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:23 pm
PostPost subject:

Somebody got out of bed the wrong side this morning. This is all new to me, and I was clarifying for emphasis. I said:
Quote:
Any need to prog ESC (and gyro) yet with their individual programmers? I take it no need.

All you had to do was agree. Emphasis. You took it the other way - quoting me out of context - as if I'm asking questions then doing my own thing. Thanks.

SkyHigh wrote:
...What interreges me is you ask a question then proclaimed to know all the answers.

And it never dawned on you that you read it totally the wrong way? Thanks for that. What encouragement.
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm
PostPost subject:

I am sorry Matelot, you are right I miss read your post and I apologise for that,

my intension was and always will be to encourage and advise,

please see my diagram for your electronic setup, when your components have been installed you will need to fine tune them,

I hope I can aid in your assistance in getting your bird airborne.
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:12 pm
PostPost subject:

Thank you, SkyHigh. On reflection I may not have expressed myself as clearly as I could either. Let's forget it and have a pint! Very Happy
SkyHigh
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:26 pm
PostPost subject:

Defiantly my round mate, sorry. Wink
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:03 pm
PostPost subject: post subject

Hi matelot, you might find it handy to take a look at the finless build video's on helifreak. He gives good tips throughout about things you may overlook on your first build which can make the process easier. You can also download the video's to your pc so you can pause and re run them if you need to. With the help from this forum and the finless video's the build should be quite painless and you will be better equipped for future maintenance and repair work. Also plenty of info there about setting up your tx, rx, gyro, servo's and everything else you might need help with.
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:15 pm
PostPost subject:

Many thanks for that. Tons of vids. One of the first jobs then is a 350w+ PSU from a friend's old PC to make a power supply. Currently - excuse pun - using an old car battery on a charger... but it doesn't match the decor. Laughing

All good stuff. Very Happy
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:03 pm
PostPost subject:

Well, that's the power supply done. A 400w PSU which now gives me 12.33v, 5.38v, and 3.34v - c/w LEDs, banana jacks and micro switch. First 3S lipo charged fine.

Now the car battery can go back to the workshop.

Next job, solder on all those connectors to the motor, battery and ESC.

Happy days. Laughing
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: