Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:42 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Burgess ROCKS!!

ferretmaster wrote:

Besides...Those other guys are a bunch of snobs, the truth be known.

Here's to us![/b]

Thanks Dave,

I hope from all of us, my models are stand off scale, always have been, while I appreciate the effort the scale guys put in, if you don't want to fly it because you might damage it, to me there is no point, if it's in the air and looks like the real thing I love it.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:55 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Silver vs camouflage?

ferretmaster wrote:
The reason that the Americans at least the USAAF, toward the end of the war in Europe and in the Pacific, stopped painting their aircraft the standard "olive drab" (I need to look up the real mil spec name for it) was the utter and COMPLETE air DOMINANCE they had gained by very late '44-'45 made camouflage paint a secondary consideration to the speed and fuel range increase that was gained by leaving the aircraft in natural aluminum.

Just some more little known fiction and fact out of the ferretmasters almanac.

That war was started in 1939, America kept out until December 1941 when Pearl was bombed. The Battle of Britian was fought between July and October 1940 when the RAF gained superiority over the Luftwaffe. On 15 September Hitler realised he had lost the initiative and called off the invasion of Briatain on 17 September. During this twelve-week battle, 1,733 German aircraft were destroyed, compared with 915 British fighters. This was what the US forces built on when they arrived in late 1941.

Tom.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:02 pm
PostPost subject:

Hey Boys,

We're off track here !
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Casa Grande AZ, USA. 66 and yes! Heli's reverse aging!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Silver vs camouflage?

This was what the US forces built on when they arrived in late 1941.

Tom.[/quote]

My last on this line of thought.

My sincere apology to all the Allies who fought the Axis powers in WWII.
I did not intend to imply that the USAAF had "gained complete and utter control" of the sky's over Europe by it's self.
That line should have read"...after the Allied powers had gained complete and utter control...."

To the Admiral.....back on track now and thank you for the rebuff.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks Dave,

Sometimes we Europeans do get a little miffed at the Hollywood approach to WW2.

I agree; let's get back on track here, I've got lots of good US and German friends now, you've only got to look at my drumming video and this forum.

Tom
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:03 pm
PostPost subject: Back on track...day four build.

At this stage of the assembly...the final fitting of the mechanics...progress seems to go at a snails pace. To get things where they belong and in the correct attitude (no pun intended!) the mech's go in and out more often than...well use your imagination!
I will post pic's of the interior for marking reference and such when I pull the mech's out for the drilling of the mounting holes. As it sits now, the mech's are just tacked into position with a little bit of CA. The alignment is perfect and the tail rotor pulley assem. is accessible prior to installing the rotor proper so all is well.

There the rotor is...all buffed to remove the blue anodizing and centered where it needs to be. I will be installing square ended blades about 2-3mm longer for the test flights. I am always concerned with tail authority at low head speed that the four blade mains need to run at, in this case target RPM is 1600 to 1750. Still waiting for the longer main grip ball links so I can test the four blade head configuration.

Following are a couple of shots of how she looks with rotors in place. two of the mains are taped in place to keep them in alignment while I wait in the link balls. Kind of jumping the gun a bit (racing term) but just had to do it! Sort of like a kid at Christmas...need to peek!

Adiós 'till later.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:27 am
PostPost subject:

Looking really good Dave, love it! builder.

Tom.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:08 am
PostPost subject:

Not much done today. Just marking out the holes for the mechanics to mount, drill four holes, mount the mechanics and wait for ball links. As usual the rear mount screws are not visible from the outside and getting the screws in was a 1-1/2 hour exercise in patience. It is a pity that they must all come out a few times more as tweaking on the mechanics…test flights for the four blade head etc. goes forward.

Photos for today are marking the proper location of the mechanics, making and marking a template and aligning the template and taping it down to drill the mount holes accurately

In a seperate post I will list the components used in the mechanics....sorry....that should have been the first thing!
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:34 am
PostPost subject:

As it dawned on me that I did not list the parts that I will be using to make this stand off scale version of the Augusta/Westland A/W-109.

The fuselage is from RC Aerodyne and is still available I believe. If not from RCA it can be ordered from HeliArtist.
The only upgrade to the standard fuselage will be the retracts. These plastic ones have no place on any heli that is worth the time to build! I replaced them with Hobby King (HK) all metal retracts. More than likely the paint will be changed to the South African Defense Forces camo pattern.

Mechanics consist of a Full House Heli 500 (clone of the Trex 500 and probably is a CopterX relabeled) belt driven tail rotor frame and the following components.

Receiver: Walkera DEVO 8

Swash Servos: EMax ES9258 (X3)

Tail Servo: EMax ES9257

Motor
Speed
Control: HobbyWing Platinum 60 Amp

Electronics
Voltage Reg.: Hobby Wing 8Amp UBEC

Four Blade
Head: CopterX CX500-01-15

Three Axis
Gyro: CopterX CX 3X1000

Motor: GForce 500 1600 (for 2-blade testing only. Will certainly
Change for four blade head.)

Retract slow
Down control: Turnigy Servo Speed Regulator

Battery(s): Main………6S (3Sx2) 40C 2650 mAh Zippy
Electronics..2S 20C 2650 mAh Sky Lipo
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:39 am
PostPost subject: Back to work....sort of..

The long ball links that I needed to continue the A-109 build finally came in. They worked out great. While I was fitting the links and getting ready for all the necessary adjustments, It dawned on me that I had been so excited with the fuselage build that I totally forgot that I still needed to do the test flights of the mechanics with the four blade head and 3 axis stabilizer in place. That probably would have been a disaster as most of my other short-cuts/brain fart moments have tended to be.
I still have the UH-60 project to work on so it was not as if I was left with nothing to do so I took this opportunity to strip the A-109 mechanics to nothing....no screw left in place and all electronics removed. When the mech's go back in this next time, it will be the final time prior to the maiden flight of the (almost) completed A-109. I intend to run about 8 to 10 packs through the bird prior to the final install.

A side note about the UH-60 and the main mast height. The stock TRex 500 main shaft height was just too tall for this bird. Looked WAY bad...not in a good way bad! There was no way to lower the mechanics in the fuselage. The TT setup dictated where the mechanics would sit and just left no room to adjust the height. My solution was to shorten the main shaft. That was easy enough....taking care to re-drill the hole for the Jesus bolt true! Issues arose with the phasing linkage and amount of positive pitch I could now obtain after cutting 5/8" (16mm) off the shaft. Along with shorter links I ended up cutting the sleeve for the main rotor head back about 3/16" (4.75mm), cutting the phase linkage ball link end back about the same and grinding away a bit of metal on the phase linkage itself where it was binding on the Jesus bolt at the upper limits. I now have about -4 degree to +10 degree of pitch range. This should be enough for scale flying!

The pictures show the reduced head height. A-109 nearest the camera, UH-60 behind. I will be putting the longer ball links on the UH-60 head also, this will help the link angle but alas....only ordered enough to do one build the first time. This time I will order more!

Until later!

Dave
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:20 am
PostPost subject:

Great Work Dave,

Good to see that there are still some of us around that are prepared to customise to make it fit.

Thanks for the Aerodyne link they have some great stuff, ordered a Nav Light kit will put it on the UH-1 and then probably get another one for the Airwolf.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:01 am
PostPost subject: an update for those who care...

For those who are following this build. I am happy to announce that I have received all the additional parts that, as usual, are unexpected for any scale build. I will have details in the very near future but as there are some "personal" issues that need attending to time does not allow just now.
The build is finished and test flight just around the corner! All that really is left to do is the weathering of the paint and some wire cutters and antenna details.

Pic's and more dialog to follow.

Dave the "FerretMaster"
Perez Turner
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:00 am
PostPost subject:

Showing good work in SM/Aerodyne A-109 build log entry's. I like your ideas and skill efficiency to manage this project. This is great acknowledgement for me and I learned lots of techniques from this post.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:32 am
PostPost subject:

Many thanks Perez.

The A-109 is completed. Had her maiden flight and now sits waiting for me to finish a few projects (read Mi-24) to get her back up and functional. A few things still not quite as correct as I would like.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Scale Helis All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: