Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:29 pm
PostPost subject: Return to the Fold !! 450 SE V2

Yep - its an oldie ... a clone 450 SE V2 with Flybar of course.

About a week ago - I decided to have a look at my old 450 which had stood on bench for maybe a year or more - actually more like 2 !!

It had a bad history and was shelved because I just could not get her to fly. It shook, span round on ground, just would not answer commands properly.

Business is slow due to various things outside my control - so along with scratchbuilding various parkjets - I decided to sort out my 450.

New Flybar, tail servo, new blades .... pitch set etc.

Run up and she shook but at least was a lot better than I remember. Looked as though I was on right path to maybe getting her airborne.

Sat looking at it trying to figure out why it was shaking ... and then remembered that intermittent beeps came from the motor / ESC on the ground when idle. I wondered if the ESC was faulty and causing unstable throttle ...
I swapped out the ESC and BINGO ! She was much smoother and I stood a chance of actually getting her off the deck.

Rear-end clenched tight ... heart racing ... I lifted her off ... she started the typical TBE of a newbie !! Remember I was NEVER any good at flying these things before and its been maybe 2 years ! I just put her down, caught breath and clicked a few trims and up again ... bit better this time ... down. I did this 5 or 6 times and then it happened ..........

She went over on side - hit deck and you know the rest ...

Blades
Flybar
Feathering shaft
Main shaft
tail Boom

On diagnosing what may have happened - it was interesting how fast she fell over about 2m of the deck. It was in my mind not the usual rookie mistake. I felt that something else may have been the cause.
On examining the mess - when I replaced the feathering shaft and reconnecting rotor blade holder ball links. One had been disconnected in the crash. I assumed it came off as a result. But when I was 'clicking' it back - it was too loose and easily pushed too far or flipped off.
I suggest this may have been reason for the crash.

Rebuild is underway .... like many Rc Heli guys - I have a box with so many parts ....

Maybe I can get her going again and then maybe later treat myself to a more modern chopper ....
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:45 am
PostPost subject:

If you don't mind me making a few suggestions.

It might be good idea to swap out the link-balls eyes for genuine Align ones, and fit a set of 450V2 Ball Link HS1300 one piece links and a set of 450 Plus Mixing Arms H45171T on the washout base, these will almost eliminate all lost motion from the linkages.
I've always used genuine Align shafts, gears and tail synchromesh belt. They run so much smoother than clone stuff does.

I use vernier caliper to set the flybar dead central in the seesaw and to set the paddles at equidistance. I made two alignment plates to slide on the paddles can use a pair of pitch gages and align their top edges across the rotor head, this will provide smooth control with no TBE.

I have a test rig with a pair of main bearings in a black that can be set horizontal to the ground install the main rotor minus blades and spin several times, if in balance the rotor does not stop in on position.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:20 pm
PostPost subject:

All suggestions gratefully received ... the only problem here is the lack of any sellers - so I have to revert to online and that all means long delays before I get gear.

Most gear I source is Tarot ... basically because its more easy to obtain and most people who fly Heli's I know either use Tarot or Gaui (think that's how its spelt !).

Today was a bit windy - but I know a bit of wind can help steady that tail ...

She's rebuilt with replacement links, rotor blade holders, flybar, feathering shaft, main shaft, tail boom ...

Run up and pitch set ...

She's now on the bench in one piece - having survived a number of hops .. 10 - 20 sec hops and down. As far as I'm concerned I am starting from scratch and treating the whole exercise as a newbie ...
I put her down as soon as I felt she was starting to 'swing about' ...

At least I survived half a battery in this way and when wind goes down a bit more - will be ready to continue.

My pals - tell me that a Flybarless setup has less tendency to TBE and can be a more steady machine to learn with ...
I have added flybar weights to tame the 'bar' at this stage ... something I did years before ...
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: