Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:52 am
PostPost subject: Rex Has New Skin

Hey guys,
been gone ...again,...had to move the Father-in-Law down here and get him all set up...man, that was fun... Wink
haven't had much time to get the Rex ready to fly, I am not used to bellcranks, alot more to it than the direct to swash links,..sigh and I hate being inthe middle of links and screws and nuts and connector arms flying all over the workbench just have the Boss..I mean the wife, say"Honey, would you help my dad with something for just for a minute?" which trasnslates into "Hey dummy, git yo' skinny butt away from that junk that keeps you away from doing my bidding all the time and go help my dad until I tell you to come home!!"....Sheesh, have you ever seen 2 inch steel rods bend like putty in your fingers? There goes another set of link rods....
anyway, I was able to put in a few minutes of airbrush time, since at least that is pretty straight-forward and quick, I saw a photo of a 600 that had the"Jurassic Park" theme colors on it and it looked so good that I just had to copy it, well as close as possible, his is much better of course, I didn't bother with the simulated canopy glass, also I could not figure out what that picture was in the middle of it, but I am wondering if I should put these stickers on the canopy or leave it as is, I would put them on like his,
This is the one that inspired me:
His T-Rex

Mine: (and don't laugh Rolling Eyes )

I can get a coupla sets of these cards
and they supposedly have that sticker in them and I can put them on like his and lacquer over them, I like the way his looks with the stickers, but...then again I like it w/o them too...
T-Rex, Jurassic Park, remember the jeeps in the movie

Last edited by Trouble on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Hawzzy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:07 am
PostPost subject:

HEY trouble...nice Job man!!! I just got out my airbrush recently too...i airbrushed a set of white moon dish wheels from my nitro truggy to look like an old set of Rally rims or such.

SORRY Trouble....i just realised i TOTALLY jacked your thread....AND ITS NOT EVEN HELIS IM SHOWIN OFF....i feel SO ashamed...maybe someone can move it to a non heli...creative, painting/airbrush section or something.

BUT...what do ya think tho????
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:35 am
PostPost subject:

Nice job trouble.. Looks good.
I like your car body hawzzy, one of my favorite body styles too..
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:20 am
PostPost subject:

No worries Hawz, just go right ahead and steal my show, no biggie.....

Nah, just kidding,... the wheels look nice dude!
Hawzzy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:18 am
PostPost subject:

For sure....sorry due...way to steal your lightning.....anywhooooo... i just was thinking that anyone who ventures into the world of airbrushing...deserves a little props...thats all Trouble...luv the jurassic inspiration BTW!!!!
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:57 pm
PostPost subject:

Really, no biggie Hawz, i'm sure we all have side hobbies to our main love...HELIS!!! Razz Like I started off building plastic model airplanes and armor (Tanks mostly, and any type military vehicle), did it for years (since I was like, ummmm, 10 yrs old or so) even won some local awards too, (in my later years) Yaaa... Wink But it was all easy work, solid colors or camouflage, Like I could never do what you are doing, painting cars, way too complex. I also have never painted with auto type paints, which most ppl now do paint their canopies with, it doesn't crack or chip like enamels do. This canopy was painted with Acrylics just to see if that will stop the cracks and chips, of course the clear coats are lacquer so that might mitigate that, I don't know. Couldn't find any Acrylic clear gloss around here, I am in a bad part of the country for stuff like that. If this heli had not been an Align T-Rex I would not have done it, only because it IS a T-Rex does it makes sense, I wish I was good enuff in airbrushing to at least paint letters, "T-Rex" or something similar would be cool painted on it, just to make ppl know whats up. Maybe I should look for some vinyl letters, Just now thought of that, man, I'm quick! Rolling Eyes
But yes, AB (airbrushing) is tough, especially at first, and it is kinda like helis in a way, you get what you pay for, and it takes alot of time to get good, more practice, more better....?wha? more better? luv my English...
A little tip, if you paint with Acrylics, did you know that Windex window cleaner is a great thinner!? And cleaner. No, it does not turn your paint, even white, blue, lol.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:18 am
PostPost subject:

Like it Trouble, that's one unusual heli you've got now. Love it!!!

Tom.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:16 am
PostPost subject:

HaHa, Thx Tombo,

Yeah, maybe I should put the "Jurassic Park" logo sticker on it so it will be more obvious, just think of the jeeps in the movie.
BTW, how is the Spit doin'??
Hawzzy
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:46 am
PostPost subject:

Ive heard about the windex thing...ive also heard of using good rubbing alcohol and or acetone/(strong) nail polish remover.
Only thin what you will use tho...because acrylics go bad ive been told after thinning...
I have an old inexpensive testors double action airbrush....most of my techniques involve "masking"....it makes life EASIER when spraying.

I.E...for your letters..."T-REX"...find a font you like...copy it to size you want...then use masking film to make a negative or positve mask of the letters. You can get it by the sheet or on a roll...its clear vinyl thats tacky on one side...thats my secret weapon.
The old truck body was sprayed with a liquid masking film...i "brushed" and "spattered" it on to create the "blobbed" or "ripped" effect between the two colours.

SEE...this is turning out to be a good airbrush topic...eh???

For your canopies...have you ever tried using paint for "LEXAN" rc car/truck bodies.....its adheres very well and is EXTREMELY flexible.

Tye
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:07 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Trouble,

Big Spit & little Spit are both heading towards Maidens, but giving the big Spit full throttle for take off is causing me some trepidation. Never had such an expensive model on the other end of my Tx. Probably see how little Spit flies first, but can't give up on the heli time.

Found a Portugese friend with a 450 Walkera that needs a full set-up before he can do anything with it. He's got no gear but is only 10Km (6.25 miles) from me so we'll share my tools for the set-up. Language is a little problem, but we get along. He's got some incredible sim gear!

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: