Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Servos buzzing and warming

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
celticveil
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:36 am
PostPost subject: Servos buzzing and warming

I am using EXI D113F 9g digital servos, plastic geared, 4.8 volt (same volt as the dynam analog servos that came with the model)

I am also using a 40A ESC and 2200 mah lipo battery with futaba R617FS receiver and GY48V hh gyro.

The issue is the servos all seem to be buzzing, with the tail being the loudest. It even warms to the touch. None of the servos appear to be searching to mid point, all are stable. I adjusted the tightness of the screw on the servo arms as well. Sometimes the cyclic servos make no noise, but the tail continues to. EDIT: After closer observation the tail servo is binding slightly in both directions even after having the maximum travel adjusted on the gyro to minimum setting...how do I use the tx to tone back the movement without losing speed?

I am not sure what all this means. Do I need a regulator of sorts on my receiver? I switched the gyro to digital mode...same noise, same warmth.

I apologize if there are typos. I have been seriously sick with only 8 hours of sleep in last 72 hours total, (no sleep last night) then did a 12 hour long mission on base today that beat whatever was left out of me. I can barely even see straight right now....so off to bed early if I can get to sleep...

EDIT NUMBER 2:

By adjusting the servo arm and bringing the ball connector closer to the servo, I cut the travel distance thereby eliminating binding. I had to play with it awhile to figure that out ::blames his sleeplessness::

But the buzzing servos still bother me. Now its reduced much lower but still audible. Some sites I see are saying 'oh it's normal and may even go away in time' while others say 'GOOD LORD ITS THE END OF THE WORLD FOR YOUR HELI'S SERVOS!!'. Whats your experiences in this area, guys?
lightning
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:51 pm
PostPost subject:

Iv'e had this happen with analogue servos whan I accidently had my tx switched to digital but never had the same problem with digital . Have you checked the compatibilty of your tail servo with your gyro, you may have it set to an alternative frequency.Other than that I'm at a loss.Time for the experts to chip in their 2 cents worth .Good luck ,hope you're feeling better. Smile
celticveil
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:07 am
PostPost subject:

I think the tail servo was warming due to binding. It was barely binding at all but just enough to cause the control rod to bend slightly and stress the gears/motor of the servo to warm them. I adjusted the ball link on the servo arm, moving it more inwards (by two positions) and now theres no binding at all, and the tail rotat control moves to within about 1/2 millimeter or less of the end points on each side, right where it was when I was using the old servo. I must saw, doing this while suffering from sleep exhaustion and the effects of sinus medication (made me quite loopy)...that was an exercise in and of itself!

I'm feeling better now after having slept. Can't wait for it to go away completely though.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:16 am
PostPost subject:

If you are using a 9Gr. servo, I would suggest getting a bigger one, 12Gr. at least, Digital, and metal gear IF it is possible. All digital servos will sing to you, some more than others and more if they are held back in some way, like I said the other day. As long as they are not in a bind and are not getting hot, don't worry about it. Get some servo grease sometime, and open 'em up very carefully and see if they need it, not much is needed! Make sure the tail rudder control rod is 8mm or closer to the servo hub center.
celticveil
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:23 am
PostPost subject:

Trouble, is there a specific 12g servo you recommend? My rx does 4.8-6.0 voltage. Which brands are good and which do I need to avoid?
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:28 am
PostPost subject:

I am biased toward the higher end electronics...one reason is..I do not know how to work on electronics very well, some guys like Tombo can take the HK, EXI, etc. servos (in other words the "cheapie" electronics) and fix 'em up to work like they want them to, and some "cheapie" electronics work just fine, but on the whole it is a crapgame, maybe you will get a good one, maybe not...I bought 4 Tower Pro servos once, 3 failed immediately, I Tested them-they worked-I installed them and as soon as I turned on the power they locked up and that was the end of that, I had one out of 4 that worked and it wasn't perfect, it kept over-traveling when I would bring the stick back to center, ...the servo did not stop @ the same time, it still moved a fraction more... Mad IF you have to go cheap, I guess Turnigy is good, and in spite of my XP Tower Pro servos are pretty fair also, I hear. Go to HobbyKing if you are interested in these types of servos they have a very big selection and you will end up paying around $6.00-$15.00 for it. The cheapest higher end servos I would consider are Hitec:
http://radiosailingshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=643
http://servocity.com/html/hsg-5084mg_servo.html
Great servos and can take a beating! Recommended

Futaba has a great one also, but twice as much, I have this one and it has gone through hell, LOL...
http://www.rcdreamz.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=2548

Jr also makes great servos
Bottom line is: you get what you pay for, I have too much invested in mine to take chances...although I have toyed with the idea of buying an EXI or HK 450 and loading it up with the cheap electronics just to see what happens.People used to look for "speed" in the servos but now I hear "Torque" is the new item to look for, but that is all in the future when doing 3D is a reality, right now we just want dependability. Hitec should do perfectly.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:06 am
PostPost subject:

I have a similar question. One of the servos on my MCPX is making noise and acting like it wants to do something. Even with the throttle all the way down. Any ideas?
Tom
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: