Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Sky king HCW8501

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:21 am
PostPost subject:

ok this is weird pard! right ive bought that battery so will have to keep it, i will do my best to get it flying and it will fly Confused maybe not tomorrow but maybe the next day lol
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:36 pm
PostPost subject:

Now I'm curious about weird Confused . Is it because I used to live not far from you or that I knew where you lived Laughing ? As a moderator I have to run checks and keep an eye on new posters.

Watch that Atlantic wind when you fly, I've spent many hours on Perranporth beach flying stacked kites, wind was usually too strong for models, (and way too powerful for coaxials) but I did throw a boomerang now and then when well clear of people. Razz

Be good to know how you get on with the flight. If it does fly Very Happy limit it to 2 minutes and then check the battery level, remember that on load the level will drop and it should not go below 3V/cell on load so off load you should be looking for a reading of at least 3.6V, if it's above that then fly a little longer (maybe 30 sec) and check again. That will give you a safe battery flight time. It is usually around 60% - 75% of the manufactures' claim but check it out! Batteries are not cheap.

Tom.
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:57 pm
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
Now I'm curious about weird Confused . Is it because I used to live not far from you or that I knew where you lived Laughing ? As a moderator I have to run checks and keep an eye on new posters.

Watch that Atlantic wind when you fly, I've spent many hours on Perranporth beach flying stacked kites, wind was usually too strong for models, (and way too powerful for coaxials) but I did throw a boomerang now and then when well clear of people. Razz

Be good to know how you get on with the flight. If it does fly Very Happy limit it to 2 minutes and then check the battery level, remember that on load the level will drop and it should not go below 3V/cell on load so off load you should be looking for a reading of at least 3.6V, if it's above that then fly a little longer (maybe 30 sec) and check again. That will give you a safe battery flight time. It is usually around 60% - 75% of the manufactures' claim but check it out! Batteries are not cheap.

Tom.

hi yes both but being a moderator does explain how you know where i am! i will do what you said about testing the battery and the winds, its a bit windy today lol ,battery should be here tomorrow, on your profile says you are in portugal???
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:45 am
PostPost subject:

That's right, I've lived in Portugal for 11 years now but my wife has a yen to return to Scotland where she grew up, so I'm not sure how much longer I will be here. I have no desire to live in Scotland but I think she will be better able to stand my misery that I will hers Sad if we stay!

Just watch that wind, I like to face it and walk backwards slowly; if you lose the wind fine, if it's still in your face while moving back, it's too strong for a coaxial. Another test is to drop a blade or two of grass from shoulder height. If you can't put your foot on it it in less than one step; forget flying a coaxial.

The other thing to watch out for is a seemingly sheltered place out of the wind. The air currents there will take a lot of skill to master as the air will move in all directions. not unusual for a downward gust to smash a hovering heli into the ground. If you're fast enough on the throttle to avoid the crash the following upward gust can lift it right out of the shelter as it will go up twice as fast as it was coming down (think about it, overcoming downward air then lifted by upward air) into the main force of the wind which WILL carry it away.

Simple rule is: If in any doubt - don't be brave - pack up and go home! The model will be OK to fly another day and you won't be saying to yourself "I knew I shouldn't have tried to fly - but the battery was fully charged!"

Just for interest a picture of my local (Tavira) flying field.

Tom.
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:03 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
That's right, I've lived in Portugal for 11 years now but my wife has a yen to return to Scotland where she grew up, so I'm not sure how much longer I will be here. I have no desire to live in Scotland but I think she will be better able to stand my misery that I will hers Sad if we stay!

Just watch that wind, I like to face it and walk backwards slowly; if you lose the wind fine, if it's still in your face while moving back, it's too strong for a coaxial. Another test is to drop a blade or two of grass from shoulder height. If you can't put your foot on it it in less than one step; forget flying a coaxial.

The other thing to watch out for is a seemingly sheltered place out of the wind. The air currents there will take a lot of skill to master as the air will move in all directions. not unusual for a downward gust to smash a hovering heli into the ground. If you're fast enough on the throttle to avoid the crash the following upward gust can lift it right out of the shelter as it will go up twice as fast as it was coming down (think about it, overcoming downward air then lifted by upward air) into the main force of the wind which WILL carry it away.

Simple rule is: If in any doubt - don't be brave - pack up and go home! The model will be OK to fly another day and you won't be saying to yourself "I knew I shouldn't have tried to fly - but the battery was fully charged!"

Just for interest a picture of my local (Tavira) flying field.

Tom.

thank you for the great advise mate really appreciate it Smile now i know exactly where you are have you been to the north of Portugal there ia a place called viana do castelo? thats where i was born, i reckon the odds on this one are high lol.
obrigado.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:59 am
PostPost subject:

Oh indeed! we have climbed the steps up to the Basilica de Santa Luzia, Spent quite a few days and nights in Viana do Castelo. There's a great campsite just south of the river, we stayed there in our camper while on our way south- Unfortunately I've lost all the photographs due to a hard drive crash. Does seem to be a small world, doesn't it?

If you want to see more of where I am, I have a few videos on Youtube, look up My Channel there's lots there. I used to run an African drumming group and was involved with choir activities as well as flying and making models for the ClearView simulator, so there is quite a mix!

Just a little request; please try not to use the quotes from the previous post unless it is a vital point, it increases the length of the thread and most times is not necessary. Muito obrigado meu amigo

Tom.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:30 pm
PostPost subject:

Here's a really great little meter only 19g so can attach and lift off for cycling volts amps watts data, held for just one and it records data too.
This will prove its worth when you progress onto single rotor machines and need to fine tune pitch and throttle curves.

100A Multifunction Budget Watt Meter
& Power Analyser
http://www.4-max.co.uk/wattmeter-budget.htm

Here's another two really useful links

this one's in Bangor Wales
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/

This one's in England
http://www.technobotsonline.com/

Burgess
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:19 pm
PostPost subject:

thanks burgess i will have a good look at that, new battery arrived today it was measuring 11.1v now on the heli and on charge i will wait till fully charged and try it.
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:58 am
PostPost subject:

ok new battery fully charged, result it flies, well it did for about 3 minutes and 30 seconds till the battery dropped voltage, think i will get a better battery?? just had a bit of trouble on first lift off kept banking left but a bit of trim did it i think!! it was very windy outside today so i was inside my garage wich is big lol, after reading around online some say 4 minutes some say more but from the videos I've watched on you tube looks like they are about between 3 and 4 minutes flying time, im starting with this one and eventually i will get a nitro one, thank you tom and burgess
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 am
PostPost subject:

another thing is it normal just to have one Connect Buckle or two?
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:19 am
PostPost subject:

Give the new battery time to break-in keep flight time down to 3 minutes for about six flights.

Regarding fitting a different battery there is going to be an optimum capacity/weight/size another range of LiPOs to consider are the ‘Zippy Compact' really great batteries, you can view them at hobbyking.com.

Connect Buckle...With LiPO batteries there is the discharge lead-connector and the balance lead normally a white plastic with one more wire that cell count.

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:01 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi,

Here's a few thoughts I put together early in my Li.Po electric flying days, might just be useful:
-----------------------------------------------

Understanding Lithium Polymer Battery Specifications:

Lithium Batteries are also know as LiPo, Li-Po, LiPoly, and Li-Poly. What do all the lithium battery specifications mean? The values that are the most important are:

* Pack voltage (depends on cell count; each cell is 3.7 V)
* Capacity (mAh)
* “C” rating (describes the rate at which power can be drawn from the battery)

Lipo Battery Cell Voltage:
The nominal voltage of each cell in the pack is 3.7V, but this can go down to 3.3V during discharge, and up to 4.2V when fully charged. A single battery is just that but a battery pack is composed of two or more cells put together in series for increased voltage, or in parallel for increased capacity. A 2 pack with 2 cells in series would be rated at 7.4V (2x 3.7V).

The battery pack configuration is denoted by the number of cells in series and the number of cells in parallel. A 3s2p pack would have three cells in series, and 2 cells in parallel, using a total of 6 (3×2) cells. A 4000mAh 3s2p pack would have a capacity of 4000mAh (2 x 2000mAh), and a voltage of 11.1V (3 x 3.7V). It would internally consist of six 3.7V 2000mAh lithium polymer cells. The cells would be doubled up (the 2p part of 3s2p) to get 4000mAh, and there would be three in series (the 3s part of 3s2p) to get 11.1V (3 x 3.7V).

The “C” Rating:
The “C” rating describes how quickly a battery can be discharged. A 2000mAh LiPo battery with a “C” rating of 1C continuous would mean it should not be discharged any faster than 2000mA or 2A, which would take one hour. A 2000mAh pack rated for 12C continuous would be able to discharge at 12 times its capacity (12 x 2000mA = 24000mA or 24A) at which rate it would discharge in 1/12th of an hour. Using a pack with a higher C rating than you require will leave some room for safety, and extend the life of your battery.

Continuous Current:
If you know how much continuous current will be drawn and the capacity of the pack you want to use, you can easily determine what C rating you require. If you are drawing 5A from a 1320mAh pack, simply take the current and divide by the capacity: 5A = 5000mA, 5000mA / 1320mAh = 3.8C.

Burst Current:
LiPo batteries are also given a C rating in terms of burst, which is how quickly the battery is able to discharge for a short time. A burst rating of 20C would mean a 2000mAh battery could supply 20 x 2000mA = 40000mA or 40A for a few seconds.

Selecting the Best LiPo Battery for Your RC Helicopter

To select a battery for your rc helicopter, you first need to know what voltage you require. what weight it can carry and how much current you will be drawing continuously.

* If the motor in your rc helicopter is rated to work with 11.1V, you would need a 3 cell battery.
* If you need to draw 20A, and you would like your rc helicopter to have a 10 minute (1/6th of an hour = 6C) flight, you would need a battery with 20A / 6 = 3.3A = 3300mAh.
* This means you would need to put a 3s 3300mAh battery with a C rating of 6 or higher in your rc helicopter.

Always Remember These LiPo Safety Instructions

* Remove the battery pack from your rc helicopter before charging.
* Only use chargers designed to work properly with lithium polymer batteries.
* Always place your LiPo on a fire-proof surface while charging or use a LipoSack.
* Never leave your battery unattended while it is charging.
* Never charge a lithium battery if it is below 3.0V per cell.
* Never charge a lithium battery that is puffed up, or damaged in any way.

Tom.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:25 pm
PostPost subject:

Great post there Tom, we could do with a tech info section.

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:04 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks Burgess,

We do have an "Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers" section, seems a good place for things like this. I don't have the permission required to open a new section, all I can do is delete 'spammers posts'; got 15 posts from two spammers today- Very Happy

It did seem that our new member would benefit from this while we already know it. There are some extra bits to add, maybe I'll do a full account including the newer higher voltage stuff and enlarging on balancing cells. First off I have to find the time, things are quite hectic here on the domestic front right now. Sad

Tom.
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:56 am
PostPost subject:

very good post tom.
thank you.

Sergio
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: