Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Sky king HCW8501

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:27 am
PostPost subject: Sky king HCW8501

hi all can someone help here please, battery fully charged and new batteries on the remote i turn it on full power and he cuts off! heres a video i made hope someone can help me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRXakwqSteA
thank you guys.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:17 am
PostPost subject:

Hi sdcserg,

Looks like you are turning on the heli and then the TX. Wrong way around, the TX MUST be turned on BEFORE the heli. Try it that way and show us what happens.

When you shut down, the heli MUST be turned off first and then the TX.,

These moves ensure that the heli can lock to the TX on start up and unlock on shut down. We (the flyers) always work this way regardless of what the manufactures say.

Tom.
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:53 am
PostPost subject:

Hello sdcserg and welcome to the forum

Sound advice from Tom.

Also with these large 3.5 channel machines, wise to do a range check at ground level.
If flying in your back yard be aware of wind conditions, very easily for a sudden gust of wind to take the heli over the roof top and out of sight.

Burgess
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:47 am
PostPost subject: ok

ok thank you i will try it out later and let you know, thank you for the advise Very Happy
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:42 pm
PostPost subject: same

hiya tombo242 tried it like you said but still does the same as in the video Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:58 pm
PostPost subject:

Those large 3.5 channel coaxial helicopter have the same electronics as the smaller indoor variety, which aren't hobby grade.

Try this:
#1 Ensure the receiver is turned off
#2 Ensure the throttle stick is at 0%
#3 Switch on the transmitter
#4 Move the throttle stick up to 100% and down to 0%
#5 Turn on the receiver
#6 Test throttle for motor response.

Burgess
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:26 pm
PostPost subject:

Burgess wrote:
Those large 3.5 channel coaxial helicopter have the same electronics as the smaller indoor variety, which aren't hobby grade.

Try this:
#1 Ensure the receiver is turned off
#2 Ensure the throttle stick is at 0%
#3 Switch on the transmitter
#4 Move the throttle stick up to 100% and down to 0%
#5 Turn on the receiver
#6 Test throttle for motor response.

Burgess

Hiya just done it exactly like you said, but its the same as the video, i reckon the battery is gone so im going to fully charge it and test it with a voltmeter this kind of battery should put out about 12.6 volts when fully charged.
thank you
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:49 am
PostPost subject:

Well now,

You are right with the fully charged voltage, however I find that the internal resistance of batteries can rise so that the voltage drops below the 'Cut Off' point. I have some batteries that are great for setting up but when I try to lift off with them the battery level drops below safety level.

These are 3 cell and give 12.4V fully charged but under load drop to 9V. You cannot trust the fully charged voltage as a reference for a good battery. A good test is a 12V 36W car headlamp bulb across the battery and check the voltage on load. Anything more than a 1V drop is suspect.

Tom.
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:03 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
Well now,

You are right with the fully charged voltage, however I find that the internal resistance of batteries can rise so that the voltage drops below the 'Cut Off' point. I have some batteries that are great for setting up but when I try to lift off with them the battery level drops below safety level.

These are 3 cell and give 12.4V fully charged but under load drop to 9V. You cannot trust the fully charged voltage as a reference for a good battery. A good test is a 12V 36W car headlamp bulb across the battery and check the voltage on load. Anything more than a 1V drop is suspect.

Tom.

that confused my brain mate, ive got a new battery on the way so lets see, but im still able to run tests on this one just a bit confused!!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:21 am
PostPost subject:

I guess it is kinda confusing, but that's what we have to learn. It's a steep learning curve and will involve a lot of science that when by you at High School. This hobby is a blend of 'high faluting' formulae and solid physical practice. You will learn the tricky bits because you will see how they apply. Don't be put off, there are friends here that will see you through.

There's a heaping helping of hospitality a'waiting here if y'all need it.

Tom.
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:21 pm
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
I guess it is kinda confusing, but that's what we have to learn. It's a steep learning curve and will involve a lot of science that when by you at High School. This hobby is a blend of 'high faluting' formulae and solid physical practice. You will learn the tricky bits because you will see how they apply. Don't be put off, there are friends here that will see you through.

There's a heaping helping of hospitality a'waiting here if y'all need it.

Tom.

hiya just did the test it was 12.4 v but 1 minute later it dropped to 12.3v
and with a 12V 55w car headlamp bulb it dropped to 5.3 v
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:48 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi,

Well I would assume that your heli would require a battery with a C rating of at least 5. This would give you a safe 5A discharge and should easily light the 12V 55W bulb that you tried. The battery should not dip below 9V in use. most of us set the low level at no lower than 3.2V/cell, that would be 9.6V for your battery. It should NEVER drop to 5.3V that is one dead battery!

I have searched to find the quoted C rating of your Sky king HCW8501 battery but it does not seem to listed on any of the spares suppliers. Many people have complained on different forums about the poor battery and low flight times, removing/disconnecting all lights seems to help some. One person wrote that he strapped a 3 cell, 1300mah battery between the skids and after balancing the CoG it flew very well. He did not give the C rating of the battery.

If it helps I have a Big Lama coaxial that I play with indoors when the weather is too bad to fly the others outside. the 3 cell battery I use on that is rated at 25C constant to 40C 3 second burst.

If the C rating of your battery is listed anywhere it would be interesting to know it. Wink

Tom.
sdcserg
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:00 pm
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
Hi,

Well I would assume that your heli would require a battery with a C rating of at least 5. This would give you a safe 5A discharge and should easily light the 12V 55W bulb that you tried. The battery should not dip below 9V in use. most of us set the low level at no lower than 3.2V/cell, that would be 9.6V for your battery. It should NEVER drop to 5.3V that is one dead battery!

I have searched to find the quoted C rating of your Sky king HCW8501 battery but it does not seem to listed on any of the spares suppliers. Many people have complained on different forums about the poor battery and low flight times, removing/disconnecting all lights seems to help some. One person wrote that he strapped a 3 cell, 1300mah battery between the skids and after balancing the CoG it flew very well. He did not give the C rating of the battery.

If it helps I have a Big Lama coaxial that I play with indoors when the weather is too bad to fly the others outside. the 3 cell battery I use on that is rated at 25C constant to 40C 3 second burst.

If the C rating of your battery is listed anywhere it would be interesting to know it. Wink

Tom.

i think i understood all you said Rolling Eyes i have found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221706175026?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

if that dont help i will get a better battery and strap it under the skids Wink
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:16 pm
PostPost subject:

Generally LiPO batteries become compromised through being over-discharged, this will happen when new pilots try to get a few more minutes of flight and the life of the battery pack is greatly reduced.
Unlike other chemistry cells LiPO cells have a finite operating voltage range.

Tom's had LiPO batteries in working order for more years than some remain it the hobby.

LiPO Batteries, golden rules to remember:
1 Never over-charge
2 Never over-discharge.
3 Never keep fully charged for long periods such as over night.
4 Always store at STORAGE VOLTAGE 3.80v per cell
5 Let the battery cool down before recharging.

Get a small LED battery state indicator they connect into balance lead. The LEDs go from green to red when ever the voltage for a cell drops below 3.3v
As soon as one cell goes from green to red land, don't wait for all three LEDs to change to red, as by that time the first may have dropped below 3 volts.

Examples of battery voltage level indicators :

I use the one on the left all the time.

Burgess
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:00 am
PostPost subject:

Hi,

Owe you an apology me hansome, I got the impression that you were in the States. However I find that you're in Redruth! I used to live near Goonhavern before I moved here. Found this out while checking on the extortionate price of the battery you gave the link for. That is the stock battery and sells in the States for $15~$20 (dollars not pounds). If you are prepared to do a little moding on the heli then I would forget that battery and go for a larger better one between the skids.

I did find this, but you will have to check the weight and dimensions as it is NOT a recommendation, but a 'might do' that will save a little cash.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Wild-Scorpion-11-1V-1500mAh-25C-Lipo-Battery-3-Cell-3S-RC-Battery-/181752931755?hash=item2a5151a5ab:g:EXoAAOSwNSxVXsgi
You will also have the change either the battery or heli terminals which will involve some soldering (we do a lot of that in the hobby).
First thing is to check on what you can fit without increasing the weight too much. Try to keep around the 12% or less extra if possible.

A good charger will be helpful, as Burgess said your batteries need looking after and should never be overcharged or discharged below 3.3V/cell and stored at 3.8V/cell that's very important but a decent charger will do this for you with a little programming.

Any problems - just ask.

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: