Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:55 am
PostPost subject: T-REX 500 Control Stick Responses...

Hello,

I've been flying (and crashing every time) the Align T-REX 500 with my Real Flight Basic Flight Simulator, finding that the bird is ultra-sensitive to even slight movements from the Collective and Cyclic sticks, allowing it to quickly get away from me while I attempt to correct, resulting in overcorrections and a crash.

Using the same Simulator, the Heli-Max Axe EZ Coaxial Heli is easily manageable, and I never crash it.

Is the real-life T-REX 500 this squirrely? I would like to get one after I graduate from my coaxial Big Lama.

HAL the ELDER

Last edited by Hal the Elder on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:36 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Hal,

Flying a Collective Pitch Helicopter is like trying to balance on top of a beach ball you are on the sticks all of the time making very slight adjustments, you need to practice on the SIM until you automatically make those adjustments without having to think about them. When you start on the real thing you get the feel of it by sliding it around on the ground for about 10 batteries to give you the feel of it before you actually try to lift it off.

My guess is that for every person that successfully learns to fly CP helicopters 2 or 3 give up as too hard.

On the SIM start on the bigger size helicopters and work your way down, like the real thing the larger ones are easier to fly.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:48 pm
PostPost subject:

Howdy Hal,

Like Admiral says "Keep on trying!" You will get it in the end Very Happy (or give up Sad !)

Tom.
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:21 pm
PostPost subject:

Hey Keith,

The T-REX 500 happens to be the biggest bird on the list of 12 helicopters on my Simulator, which is why I chose it to get experience with a Collective Pitch heli.

Thanks for the advice!

Hal
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:05 pm
PostPost subject:

Hey Tom,

Choosing to "give up" is not necessarily the negative that most people think it is!

In fact, it can be a positive choice, opening the door for more suitable alternatives which may result in success!

If I give up on a CP helicopter, it will be a blessing in disguise, telling me that I can have fun flying helicopters that are NOT so demanding of one's nerves and attention.

If a CP won't work out, there's always the Fixed Pitch type, which will fly just as readily as a Collective, and if the FP is too daunting, then there's always the friendly, forgiving Coaxial type, which I just love to fly on my Simulator!

I definitely don't care for 3D flying...even watching that kind of flight turns me off. Sport Flying is also too hyperactive, with all those steep banks and extreme angles of attack.

Then what kind of helicopter flying do I want to learn?

The real laid-back kind, where you ascend to a comfortable altitude and stay there, navigating simple courses at moderate speeds, with no fancy stick-work! In other words...BORING flying!

I'm an old man, and I want to fly like an old man too!

HAL the ELDER (Now 76!)

tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 am
PostPost subject:

Message received Hal and (almost) understood. I do not go in for the 'Bug on Speed' type of flying either, I like the F3C hovering contest styles. There is some fast work but it is so smooooth!

See Hiroki Ito of Japan on this vid:

Link

I think that is real flying and, of course, it is a CP heli. Apart from the 2 co-axials I play with indoors I do not have an FP heli, I find that the higher head speed of the CP makes it easier to handle than an FP. Hovering and cruising around is very simple and you do get a fully adjustable Tx to set the heli to a very docile mode if you need to.

The smooth control that you see in the video is gained by a perfect head set-up. That is the key to flying a CP heli, it starts on the workbench as any of the folks that I have helped to build 450s' and up will tell you. That setting up can take a beginner 2 days or more to complete, later you may do it in 20min!

Certainly a co-axial will give you the docile performance that will not tax your nerves too much but you look to me like the type of person who does need a little challenge in his life. The CP gives you just that, challenges your ability technically on the bench and not too physically (if set up correctly) in the air. It is the sort of challenge that keeps us young.

I have a motto, "We do not stop playing with toys when we grow old, we grow old when we stop playing with toys." but the toys MUST have a challenge to us or we may as well sit and watch the sun go down with the other ancients. Go for it Hal and grip life with both hands.

Tom.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:08 am
PostPost subject:

Hal the Elder wrote:
Hey Keith,

The T-REX 500 happens to be the biggest bird on the list of 12 helicopters on my Simulator, which is why I chose it to get experience with a Collective Pitch heli.

Thanks for the advice!

Hal

Hi Hal,

I'm not trying to discourage you, you can do it, and the personal reward of achieving that first CP hover is really worth it.

Try downloading the Clearview SIM you can use it in Demo mode for nothing and it will work with your Realflight control, to unlock all of the models is about US$40 and it has 700 size and larger, my favorite is the Bell 47 it is very docile.

But I also agree that you must be enjoying flying what you fly or there's not much point. I fly fixed wing, a quad, Coaxial, FP and CP and love flying all of them, would like to get to the standard in Thombo's video but that ain't going to happen, I'm too much rip tear and bust, it's a good this I enjoy building.

There is a saying "There are old Pilots and Bold Pilots, but no Old Bold Pilots" Luckily with models you can be as Bold as you like and fly again tomorrow after a late nights repairing.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:14 am
PostPost subject:

+1 on that Admiral!
I'd like to get to that standard too, but that final autorotation and spot landing on command is going to take years of practice

Tom.
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:10 pm
PostPost subject:

I liked that precision hover and flying. Seems more 'chopperish' than 3D aeros.

Got to build one first, though.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:43 pm
PostPost subject:

Here's Aligns' answer to F3C.

I want one of these!!
"You can't afford it!" - wife from the kitchen.

Oh well - can't win 'um all. Sad

Tom.
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:55 pm
PostPost subject:

HEY TOM,

Yeah...that HIROKI ITO video is what I'm talkin' about!

No inverted flights, no tick-tocks, no violent maneuvers, just flying a helicopter the way REAL helicopters are flown, which is the most respectable way I know of!

And no, I'm not exactly a dull, docile person...my wife and I go to the shooting ranges, we go Ballroom Dancing, I play the Piano and jam with small combos with my bass, banjo, and rhythm guitar, I ride my bicycle, I work out on the weight bench in my game room, I attend observing sessions in desert wilderness areas with my Astronomy Club...nope, I'm definitely not a Sofa Yam!

HAL the (youthful) ELDER

tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:51 pm
PostPost subject:

Hal the Elder wrote:
HAL the (youthful) ELDER

Love the change there Hal, that's telling 'um.

I used to play banjo in a trad jazz band. That was a great way to meet people, when you were on the stage you were everyones friend before you spoke. Now I just have my drumming group on the multi musical side.

Playing in video here: http://youtu.be/cpEsXJGin84

Playing for the Fire Dancers at São Brás de Alportel:

I'm in shorts! Razz

Tom.
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:00 am
PostPost subject:

HEY SHORTS,

Did you say Trad Jazz Band? I played with Traditional-style groups too, including Ragtime & Blues.

I have a 4-string Tenor Banjo, like the Dixieland boys played, not a 5-string Bluegrass type.

I have mine tuned "Chicago Style" like the top 4 strings of a guitar, so I won't have to learn new chords! (Wife in picture)

Hal the Exciting
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 pm
PostPost subject:

Seems we've got a lot more in common than we first thought Hal.

Tom.
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:19 am
PostPost subject:

yeah....it's a shame, ain't it?

old howl
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: