Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:37 pm
PostPost subject: TO ALL PILOTS OF THE BLADE SR UH-1 HUEY:

HELLO JACK & OTHERS,

My Huey arrived yesterday, the day after I ordered it! That's the fastest shipping I've ever seen, except for some Telescope eyepieces.

I'm satisfied with the Heli (although its skin is as thin as paper), but what really shocked me was that Transmitter!

It has more controls than the reactor panel of a Nuclear Submarine!

After finally understanding the four regular stick functions from a previous FP helicopter, they send me a Tx with
six additional controls, consisting of 4 switches on top plus 2 rotary controls!

In addition, the Manual says to set these switches to either "1" or "0", without even letting me know what those positions are, except for "throttle hold", whatever that is.

So I'm asking you Pilots...is there a way I can learn to fly this bird in a simple 4-channel only mode?

If I have to be confused about all these extra functions, then I'll return this heli and order a smaller, simpler model, probably a FP bird like the Novus I returned some time ago.

Thanks,
HAL

Last edited by Hal the Elder on Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:27 am
PostPost subject:

Hay Hal,

I've had a look at the manual for your Huey and it's understandable why it's confusing at first sight, but the six channel transmitters are not that complex, once you know what the switches do, and there is nothing like having some there with you so you can get some hands on help.

There's an RC club in your area where you oughta be able to get some hands on help to get you going in the right direction.

http://www.myapplevalley.com/html/main/org_display/orgID/19053143/index.html

Hope this is heplful

Burgess
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:51 am
PostPost subject:

HEY BURGESS,

Yes, I occasionally visit the VictorValley RC Flyers (who now meet at a different location and have a different President), but I don't care for the Helicopter boys.

They're all "eletists" who fly 3D using $1000-$2000 T-REX helicopters and look down their noses at those who don't fly like them, or who fly Coax or Fixed Pitch birds.

When I visit that flying club, I hang out with the "fixed wing" bunch..they're a lot friendlier, and their President wants me to join!

Thanks anyway,
HAL
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:23 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Hal,

It's not really that bad, all you need to fly the two sticks and their relative Trim sliders and the Throttle Hold switch, leave all other switches etc set to Zero.

Find the Throttle Hold it should be labeled and for Mode 1 is on the back RH side I think the same for Mode 2 but not sure, that is the switch that is going to stop you from hurting yourself, get in the habit of flicking it forward when not trying to fly your helicopter.

I sure you are familiar with the two sticks, the other controls all have a purpose but not one that you need to start with.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:40 pm
PostPost subject:

Admiral said it Hal. I just use the two sticks and the trim sliders. As you progress in the RC hobby you will want the other switches as they are related to the more advanced futures of RC flight.

These radios also service fixed wing and drive the flaps and landing gear. I know at first it can seem a little over bearing but stick with that radio. I'm assuming you have the Spektrum DX6I. A great radio. Even better when you conceder the price. I have two. One for RC Helicopters and one for fixed wing. One is mode 1 the other mode 2.

I did replace my slide trim tabs with metal rather than the plastic that can with it. Tom (Tombo242) had one of his tabs break. I had heard that there were replacement aluminum tabs available. SO I got a set and put them in the RC Helicopter radio. I still need a set for the Fixed wing radio.

Tom will give you a much better explanation for all the switches so I'm not even going to try. In fact when I'm setting up a Helicopter I always call Tom on SKYPE to get first hand instructions. I have a shopping list in writing but it's better for me to deal with a live person to do something like that.

Enjoy your new bird and keep us posted about how you like it.

I know what you mean about the big kids at the RC field. Those flying the big quarter scale 5 cylinder $ 2000.00 plane and T-rex Helicopters. They are all so much better than those of us flying home build Home Depot scratch built foam planes and $ 400.00 helicopters. They really suck.
I like to mess with them. I can always find something not perfect on there big dollar stuff and point it out.

One of my cheapies attached.

Hang in there and take your time. I played on the ground for many batteries until I had the right feeling before I got it in the air. If it was not acting like it was ready I didn’t push it. I got it trimed perfect before it flew. Then just a foot or two of the ground. One days it was ready and it was great.

Jack
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:28 pm
PostPost subject:

HEY KEITH, HEY JACK,

A appreciate you both attempting to extricate me from the confusion regarding the plethora of controls on my Transmitter, which is a BLADE SR HP6DSM with SPEKTRUM.

It also has a hatch on the front with 10 DIP switches inside. (Oh Joy!)

One of the top switches says "F MODE" (with a 1 and a 0 position), and another switch says "D Rate" (with a Hi and a Lo position)

Then there's a spring-loaded "Trainer" switch on top, and a "TH HOLD" with a 1 and a 0 position.

BUT WAIT...THAT'S NOT ALL!

There's a 10-position rotary control that had positions for ADJ, TCM, SM, and 7 other positions, plus another rotary control that says"CH 5".

I HATE THIS INTIMIDATING TRANSMITTER
, and I'm going to return the whole Huey outfit for a refund on Monday, then I'll re-purchase that nice little 4-channel fixed pitch Heli-Max NOVUS FP N200, which I owned for one day, then returned it because it was too small.

I'm gonna buy it back from my Hobby People store as soon as I get rid of this paper-coated thing I've got.

I won't have a scale bird anymore, but at least I'll have a Tx I can understand!

Sure...you tell me I can ignore the other 16 switches on the Tx, but I'll still know they're there, and I won't be able to relax because of it!

Know what I'd really like to have? A Fixed Pitch heli with a THREE CHANNEL transmitter!

With the slow, casual way I want to fly, I don't need no stinkin' roll axis! All I need is up/down/ left-right, and forward/reverse!

Look, boys...as I age, I want everything in my life to be more and more SIMPLE, and that's how I'm arranging it!

And that's the way it is...Sunday, August 26, 2012!

HAROLD I. POLLNER
(Those WW1 triplanes were designed by Anthony Fokker, and Baron von Richthoven thanks him for it!)

Last edited by Hal the Elder on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 am; edited 5 times in total
Burgess
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:27 pm
PostPost subject:

Hay Hal,

Just seen you post, best of luck hope you find what suits you.

Regards

Burgess
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:14 am
PostPost subject:

Howdy Hal:

I under stand your frustration. I was also in that boat when I first started. Flying an RC Helicopter is like balancing a ball bearing on a piece of glass. That's hard enough. Now add a TX with all the stuff is rather daunting. So I get it.

I thought you had a DX6I TX which is even worse. But one hell of a radio.

Get what makes you feel good and progress from there. Good luck with your efforts. Keep us posted as we will want to know how your doing. With all the things you've mastered RC Helicopters should be a snap.

Jack
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:33 am
PostPost subject:

I'LL TELL YOU THIS, JACK.....

Monday morning I'm calling Horizon Hobbies to ask them for a return authorization number, then I'm RETURNING that whole Huey outfit and asking for a refund!

Then I'll buy that 4-channel Novus (again), and resume hovering practice!

(I sure wish I'd kept it...it had a drive shaft to the ball-bearing gear-driven tail rotor, and a manageable 15.3" main rotor diameter! I remember when I first had it, it was hovering nicely indoors!)

I'll let you all know, but I WON'T be posting on this scale forum anymore, because the new bird is a Pod & Boom type. (See Pic)

HOWL

Oh yeah...I visited the flying field again today, and the Heli boys were friendlier this time, even giving me suggestions on smaller birds!

pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:06 am
PostPost subject:

Glad to see the Heli boys are warming up.

jack
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Scale Helis All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: