Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruisn
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:40 pm
PostPost subject: Twister Storm 3DX

Am looking for my first non-contra rotating heli to learn on. Does anybody have experience yet with the Twister Storm 3DX. I like the scale- ish looking fuselage and the price. Would this heli keep me going up to and learning inverted flight, or is it really only for indoor and not quite up to that sort of treatment. I would like something not quite as expensive as say a T-rex and transmitter when its quite on the cards I will crash it. Despite learning on Phoenix for a while now. Embarassed Embarassed
Skyepuncher
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:24 pm
PostPost subject:

Sorry K, not familiar with that bird. Someone on here
will chime in tho, for sure. Welcome .
Please enter Your location in Your profile, so We`ll all
have an idea where You are.
Scott Cool
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:45 pm
PostPost subject: Re: Twister Storm 3DX

Kruisn wrote:
Am looking for my first non-contra rotating heli to learn on. Does anybody have experience yet with the Twister Storm 3DX. I like the scale- ish looking fuselage and the price. Would this heli keep me going up to and learning inverted flight, or is it really only for indoor and not quite up to that sort of treatment. I would like something not quite as expensive as say a T-rex and transmitter when its quite on the cards I will crash it. Despite learning on Phoenix for a while now. Embarassed Embarassed

Plenty of RTF / ARF Trex clones out there for about $200 all in incl. radio.
Ebays full of them ... Upforce 450, Titan, CopterX etc.
I fly a Trex clone (Upforce 450) that was literally out of box onto field.
Sponsor

pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 pm
PostPost subject:

Kruisn:

I to would like to know where you are located. Please enter your location on your profile.

I started with T_REX clone. An AXI from XHELI. I have two. Lots of folks on this forum have tried tem and seem to be happy with them. They are cheap and can be ordered with upgrades like metal rotor heads, etc.

I would for sure replace the tail rotor assembly as mine exploded of the second or third run up. Nasty.

XHELI also list lots of clones with option parts like ESC's, Motors. servos, blades, etc.

building a helicopter is lots of fun and rewarding. Plus one hell of a learning curve.

Jack

PS: I lied. I started with a BLADE B400 and a DX6I radio that came with it. If I was starting again I'd do the same. Only I start with the BLADE 450 and a DX6I radio. They are great. Then I got the AXI's.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Kruisn,

Can't comment on the Storm although they look OK, but I had a Twister Gold helicopter was good for a budget priced Heli but the Tx was very average, ended up taking it over to a DX6i
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:51 am
PostPost subject:

That heli looks kind of cool, but I too would recommend the Blade 450 instead. It's cheap, high-quality, ideal for beginners, and it will get a great computerized transmitter into your hands, the DX6i.
Kruisn
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:55 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi All, Huge Thanks for your replies, what a great bunch of people.
I am in Auckland, New Zealand. Anything imported to NZ is expensive and the range is very narrow. Thats what you get for living on the other side of the world. I will (untill I hear otherwise) look at 450 size heli's and clones. - Happy Flying. Very Happy Very Happy
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:15 pm
PostPost subject:

Kruisn
It would still help if you would add your location in your profile so it would be attached to all your postings.

Jack
Kruisn
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:57 am
PostPost subject:

Hi pjdog, I had already done that but forgot to submit, DUH !. Embarassed
Thanks again for all your help.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:03 am
PostPost subject:

Kruisn:

Thanks for the update on Location. I love to know were folks are.

Nice thing about a forum is you get to know all the guys and things about where they live and stuff. Like ol' Tombo242. Has that great house down a long one lane road with a sweet swimming pool.. And Sid the snake that live on the pattio.

jack
sbobby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:41 am
PostPost subject:

Kruisn wrote:
I am in Auckland, New Zealand. Anything imported to NZ is expensive and the range is very narrow. Thats what you get for living on the other side of the world.

Same here in Australia. Everything in here is more expensive than US. If you enjoy building a not-so-expensive heli, I suggest the HK450, it is a 100% TRex 450 clone, and parts are cheap and easy to get from ebay or HobbyKing. I have a HK450 and happy with it.
Blues4dog
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:32 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Kruisn.
I have a Storm 3DX and it was my first CP heli. In hindsight it was probably too advanced for me at the time and I should have gone for a bigger FP heli such as a Honey Bee FP first.
Get plenty of time in on Phoenix and set your simulated heli up as advanced and unstable in hover as you can handle. It will give you an idea of what you are in for. The Blade 400 in Phoenix is a pretty close match.
I have replaced almost every part on the 3DX and now have it fitted with a KDS flymentor. Just about to change it over to a DEVO 8 TX also.
I can finally hover it with some confidence.
The fuselage looks great until you crash it. It breaks very easily and yes, I am on my second fuselage already and it has some battle scars too.
Training gear is a good move also.
Sorry to sound so negative as it really is a great heli and I love it. I'm just waiting for the day when I am competent enough to really make the most of it.
BTW, it is a 450 size heli so indoors is probably not a good idea unless you have a really big area to crash in.
A good alternative might be some of the new 3 axis flybarless FP stuff that is about now. They are reasonably stable but still a decent step up from coaxial heli's. I have a Walkera V200DQ01 which is a scale Bell 222. Looks great (apart from the cheesy flashing lights in the windscreen) and is relatively easy to fly. I think there is even an "Airwolf" version if you like the scale type heli's.

Cheers

B4D
Kruisn
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:42 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for your really helpfull comments B4D. Is the storm 3DX an outside heli, ie; will it operate efficiently in a breeze or get blown away?
None of the local retailers have it here yet so I am reliying on feed back from owners. Thanks again and happy heli-ing.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:57 pm
PostPost subject:

Kruisn wrote:
Thanks for your really helpfull comments B4D. Is the storm 3DX an outside heli, ie; will it operate efficiently in a breeze or get blown away?
None of the local retailers have it here yet so I am reliying on feed back from owners. Thanks again and happy heli-ing.

Any 450 class CP Heli is an outside machine. They are not suitable for indoors unless you are in a gym or similar large area.
I can tell you that having tried to 'test' my 450 in a large party room ... 9m x 5m ... it's NOT a good idea !
Blues4dog
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:16 pm
PostPost subject:

@Kruisn

Firstly, my apologies. It is a 400 size heli, not 450 but it is definitely for outdoor use as solentlife says. Main rotor is 720 mm in diameter and headspeed is very high compared to coaxial heli's.

They all have a limit to the amount of breeze they can fly in but if you are coming from coaxial heli's then yes, it will handle breeze much better than what you are used to. Bear in mind it is a flybar heli and as such is only equipped with HH gyro. No pitch or roll stabilization like its flybarless counterparts. If you are going to take the plunge with this heli then I would suggest you begin flying it on calm days with training gear and work up from there.

BTW I got mine on ebay from a supplier in Queensland. Much cheaper than retail. The link below is for the Mode 1 version.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TWISTER-2-4GHZ-3DX-STORM-6CH-400-SIZE-HELICOPTER-RTF-/290595498808?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item43a8d76b38#ht_1694wt_907

Cheers

B4D
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: