Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Walkera

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimmy
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:30 am
PostPost subject: V200D02 tail upgrade but now spins out of control

First off I am new to RC Helis and while I find it fun, I am also finding it fustrating. I have a Walkera V200D02 that I was tired of breaking the tail rotor so I did the tail upgrade from here: http://www.rtf-heli.com/WALKERA_V200D02_MODS.html (they were the only ones that have them in stock too)

Anyways, I have everything assembled but when I go to take off and just get airborne the heli will spin out of control, with the tail motor going what seems like full speed. All trim is centered on the transmitter. I tried adjusting the little pot on the receiver but it didn't seem to help any, as the tail keep wanting to go full speed.

Any ideas on what I should try next? I figured I'd ask here before I break an more pieces.

Thanks in advance!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:28 pm
PostPost subject:

It could be that the motor is turning the wrong way! Have you checked that it is pushing against the torque of the main blades?

Another possibility, if it spins in either direction, is that the gyro is reversed.

Tom.
Grimmy
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:43 pm
PostPost subject:

I did figure it out last night right before I went to bed. It was running the wrong way. I thought it was strange as I soldiered the red lead on the + end of the tail motor and lined that up with the symbols on the receiver and it just went crazy.

So I did get some flight time in last night, a little tweaking here and there. I am just learning to hover around a little off the ground and maintain control and such. I did try to turn a little and it seemed slow going to the right. I didn't get a chance to check the other direction though. How do I know or how do I adjust the pot on the receiver for the tail motor correctly? I was looking through the little documentation I had that came with the V200D02 last night and couldn't find anything about this.

Again, thanks for the help!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:50 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Grimmy,

Unfortunately, I do not have that model and I can't find an online manual so this is just general stuff.

Normally, the tail is ajusted so that the heli holds straight without trim. As yours is a tail motor the amount of power to the motor is the thing to change.

Probably (I'm guessing here, so be warned) the Rx tail control will come in two parts - one pot for power and one pot for gyro gain. The power pot would be the one to set to prevent spin and the gain pot to give gyro control. Without the manual it's impossible to say where these pots are (or even if they are there at all)!

To set the tail gyro gain on every helicopter that I've come across (from 450s to little co-axials) you increase the gain until the tail starts to wag, then back it off (about 0.5% at a time) until the wag stops.

Hopefully someone with this heli will come along and help you out with a verified system.

Tom.
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:10 am
PostPost subject: post subject

Hi Grimmy.
You may find this youtube video usefull. The bit that you want is at 6 minutes and 50 seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWn53CipURU Hope this helps.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:18 am
PostPost subject:

Great find Chopper, glad you came along.

Tom.
Grimmy
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:02 am
PostPost subject:

Interesting points he had there. I will have to do some tinkering a bit.

One thing he mentioned at the end, was that if you gave some cyclic before getting in the air, that would cause the heli to roll and probably crash right away. What if it does that without giving it cyclic? I have to give mine just a little so it goes up and doesn't roll. Once in the air, it's fine.

I am hoping to get some play time tonight and maybe check everything over as he mentioned.

The other question, since I have done the tail mod, I have added a little weight to the front. How do I know how much is enough? Right now when I get off the ground, the tail does drag a little, but again, once in the air it's fine.

Again, thanks for all the help!
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:19 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Grimmy,

The cyclic used at lift off is so small that most of us no longer realise that we are using it. It's just that tiny touch of right that is only there for the first fraction of lift. Then the heli settles into its right lean and the cyclic is straight. Remember we are dealing in miniscule amounts here. Enough cyclic to feel and you're going to plough up the earth and wreck your blades.

Re Balance: If you hang the heli by the mainshaft (normally the flybar but you don't have one,) it should hang vertical with the battery in and ready for flight. (Not powered up of course!) If it is not vertical it will tend to drift in the direction of the lean. It is possible that your gyro is compensating for a tail heavy heli.

Tom.
Grimmy
Fully Charged
Fully Charged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:53 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:

Re Balance: If you hang the heli by the mainshaft (normally the flybar but you don't have one,) it should hang vertical with the battery in and ready for flight. (Not powered up of course!) If it is not vertical it will tend to drift in the direction of the lean. It is possible that your gyro is compensating for a tail heavy heli.

Tom.

I was guessing at that, and that's what I have gone by so far. I did get outside for a little bit, but there was just too much wind for me to maintain control. At least this time I was able to go through a battery without something breaking, although I need to change out the main gear as the teeth aren't very strong. Good thing I have extras.

Thanks for the tips and help tombo Smile
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 pm
PostPost subject:

Grimmy wrote:
Thanks for the tips and help tombo Smile

That's what we're here for Grimmy, you're very welcome.

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Walkera All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: