Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:03 am
PostPost subject: Looking for stronger 4 channel helicopter with upgrades

I just started rc helicopters. I bought a falcon 40 V2 because a friend has one and I thought it was a good deal for the money. After trying my best to fly it without breaking it I hit the barn and parts went every where. I bought what I thought I needed. Even got another Falcon 40 V2 so I could see what went were. I did manage to get it back together and it seems well balanced. No vibrations, runs real smooth.

But the Falcon 40 is a plastic helicopter. I think that I'd be better off with one that's mostly metal. Like a Walkera Creata 400. But the Walkera Creata 400 is collective pitch. I'm still finding my way with a 4 channel fixed pitch. Does any body produce a Walkera Creata 400 quality helicopter in 4 channel FP. Belt tail rotor, brushless motor, metal rotor head, metal tail and metal boom on 2.4GHz?

Thanks for any info.

Jack
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:40 am
PostPost subject:

I have not seen any fixed pitch heli's in that size. Most are pretty small so they use the motor for the tail instead of a belt. You really don't want a tail motor on a bigger heli, they just don't work..
There is no difference between the 4 and 6 channel heli's as far as the control movements go. The differrence is the amount of servos it takes to make the heli move.
In a 4 channel heli, you have, up, down, forward, backward, left and right.
The same goes for the 6 channels.
If you want a heli with the metal bits and want to save some money, look at the HK kits at Hobby City. You can get a Trex clone for under 80 bucks..
You can build a decent heli for not alot of money. One thing I would recomend though is not to skimp on the gyro and tail servo.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:40 am
PostPost subject:

Thanks for the information. I'll check it out.

I just didn't want a CP helicopter until I get some heli flying skills. I also wanted a brushless motor, belt drive for the tail rotor and metal parts rather than plactic. All 6 channel heli's seem to be CP not FP.

Jack
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Pjdog,

Trust Crashagain on this, I can assure you that in my opinion a CP heli kept in "Normal" and not "Idle Up" is probably slightly easier to handle than a fixed pitch heli. The servos can change the pitch faster than the fixed pitch motor can speed up or slow down giving you a more precise vertical handling. This is really useful when you hit transitional lifts or drops.

The other advantage is that you will not have to buy another heli when you get tired of hovering around and fancy a little gentle 3D instead. Razz
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 am
PostPost subject:

Just a thought to keep in mind with metal parts. It won't make the heli indestructible by any means. Plastic or carbon fiber breaks when stressed too much, aluminum will bend but won't break that easy so sometimes you can get away with bending parts back to shape. However, when it is bent it also stretches just a bit and this can lead to problems of their own as you'll never be able to get it to 100% like new.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:00 am
PostPost subject:

Thumbs and tombo242, Thanks for the response.

I wish I had done more research on electric helicopters before I bought three. I am making lots of progress with the Falcon 40 V2. I bought a spare Falcon so I could see what went where. I've bought 2 and 3 of most the parts to keep it in repair. Tough little bugger to work on with failing eye sight. But a ton of fun and with magnifying glass I managed.

I'm retired and very bored so I play with toys allot. Helicopters are very difficult to master. I've been flying fixed wing for thirty years or more. I've always fancied Helicopters but just never tried it.

I was under the impression that CP helicopters were much more difficult to fly and newbie's should do FP 4 channel. That's why I went to 4 channel FP. Walkra makes a RTR 400 I think that looks very nice. Well make and good quality parts. Lots of aluminum parts. I do realize that looks don't really mean much unless it's going to sit on a shelf somewhere. I also realize that if you smack the barn it's going to break no matter what it's made of. Sense I've got two Falcon 40's I think I'll keep trying with them for a while to see it I can get proficient at it.
I did manage to get my first Falcon 40 V2 back together and it does fly smooth. I need to command it rather that it flying me. Wind is sure a problem too. Even light wind. Shoves the heli all over the yard.

Thanks again.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: