Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Crash Logs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyDoc
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:58 am
PostPost subject: Black Sunday

I really got a good leg up on my re-certification as a Crash Tester on Sunday. (Docs have to re-certify in our specialties, so why not Crash Testers?)

Flew the mCX through a couple of batteries just to get warmed up. I can make that little puppy sit up and beg, metaphorically. Then tried the CX3->2, and it was unstable Mabel; held a hover hands-off but twitchy as hell with any stick input on the DX5e, low rate. Finally attempted to fly through a wall. with predictable results - boogered a lower blade.

Flush with success, I got out the mSR and lit it off. Swoops to port; hold it, then to starboard. Finally quieted it down until it started a slow TBE; before I could correct, the bookcase ate it. Bye-bye blade grip! Broke its balls.Very Happy

Off to the LHS this AM for spare blades and a CNC grip, which I'm wondering about. If it holds, what else will break? Oh well!

I ptobably ought to stop being afraid of screwing up the 6i, and set it up at least for the mSR.

Off to fields of green, and pastures new...

Doc
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:03 am
PostPost subject:

Don't feel bad FlyDoc... I crashed my Blade CX3 into my MCX the other night. I thought it wwould look cool to spin the CX 180* and land on the shelf next to it's little brother. Broke the upper blades, center shaft & skids on the MCX, CX3 was unhurt. I'm not sure, but I swear I heard the CX3 snicker when they hit.
FlyDoc
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:15 pm
PostPost subject:

Whoo; size DOES matter! Did the little guy whimper at all?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:57 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi there Doc,

Reading your post I couldn't help thinking that most of our early experience is based on crashes not flight. It seems that a long period of crashing is required before we get to fly and put the heli back without any damage.

I think that the trick is to take just a little time to examine why the crash happened and learn to avoid it. It's those last few seconds that count, the bit before where time seems to slow and nothing we do seems have any effect is important. That is where we go wrong, once the heli is going to crash that is what it will do. It's the seconds just before that have to be analysed.

Anyway I think that you have earned an "First Class" pass here. Congratulations Doc!

Tom.
FlyDoc
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:55 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks to you both for sympathy and encouragement.

DT, I forgot to say that you had me for a moment there; I had this mental picture of you flying both the CX3 and the mCX simultaneously into a tragic mid-air collision!

Tom, couldn't agree more. I tend to forget all my experience as an accident investigator when it's MY 'mishap'.Crying or Very sad Now, if I could just remember those frantic few seconds!

Doc
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Crash Logs All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: