Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

RX battery when setting up

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillpojken
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:41 am
PostPost subject: RX battery when setting up

HI ALL.

Can some one tell me if I need a separate RX Battery when setting up a electric heli.Motor is Max Current 28A and ESC rated at 55A Burst current. By the way the ESC has BEC, Does that mean that I do not need a RX battery except the 2200maH 3s 30C I will be using when all is said and done.
solentlife
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:31 pm
PostPost subject:

The ESC will supply via the BEC power to the Rx ... ALL plug connections in a RX are common power bus ... so even though ESC is plugged into the throttle channel - it will supply the necessary 5V to all servos.

For setting up servos - suggest you disconnect 2 of the 3 motor leads so that doesn't power up while setting up servos.

For info - if you ever want to separately power a RX and not from ESC. Then remove the RED +ve pin of the ESC plug to Rx ... otherwise you will have BEC and Rx battery fighting across the Rx bus. A needle inserted into face of plug pushes down a tab and you can then remove the red pin. tape it back to lead oput of way. That way ESC is still useable later with pin put back in plug.
Dumb Thumbs
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:15 am
PostPost subject:

You can use the BEC in the ESC and it'll be fine so long as you disconnect 2 of the three motor leads so the motor won't accidently start up.
Exclamation However, on less expencive ESC they have what's known as a linier BEC, and they can over heat when they step down the 11v flight batt down to 5v.
Do that too long and the BEC may fry on you.
Best to do setup is with a NiMH Rx pack IMO.
lillpojken
Flying Inverted
Flying Inverted

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:04 pm
PostPost subject:

Dumb Thumbs wrote:
You can use the BEC in the ESC and it'll be fine so long as you disconnect 2 of the three motor leads so the motor won't accidently start up.
Exclamation However, on less expencive ESC they have what's known as a linier BEC, and they can over heat when they step down the 11v flight batt down to 5v.
Do that too long and the BEC may fry on you.
Best to do setup is with a NiMH Rx pack IMO.

Thanks Dumb Thumbs...
Good advise for a beginner like me, This forum has helped me a lot and met very helpful pilots, Thanks to you all. I will look for a 4.8v battery and take it from there. So tell me then, just so that I can bind and setup the servos all I need would be a RX 4.8V battery the ESC that has a BEC, A programing card and the RX. Do I need to do the bind before I set up my servos ?
Richard.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:09 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Richard,

Your battery pack goes into the ESC/Throttle connection on the Rx so the ESC is not used at all in setting up the servos.

I have a little instruction photo of a flight pack that I made from a pack of 4 rechargable AAAs', their container, an old servo wire, hot melt glue, solder and tape:

(Click for full size.)

Might just be useful, tape was used to wrap the pack on completion. Charges with the normal flight pack connector to your charger (selecting Ni-Mh first of course). It's worked for me for the last 18 months. Cool

Tom.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: