Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Walkera DEVO 8/12

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you are a Walkera user, will you upgrade to the DEVO?
Yes, but Walkera is REALLY ticking me off!
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Yes, the improvements are worth junking (over time) all my old stuff.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No! Walkera has ticked me off ROYAL!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, the new features are not worth the cost to change.
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

Location: Casa Grande AZ, USA. 66 and yes! Heli's reverse aging!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:58 am
PostPost subject: Walkera DEVO 8/12

A few weeks back Walkera announced their newest Transmitter Receivers, the DEVO 8 and DEVO 12.
Looks to those of us who are not Walkera haters we now have a real dilemma on our hands as we do new builds or replace shot electronics/RX & TX's.
Browsing some other sites, the chatter at first was that the DEVO 12 would definitely not be backwards compatible with existing Walkera products be they RX or TX unless it was the newest stuff with the RX xxxx-D (for DEVO) on the end of the part number. That still holds true.

The big tease was some misinformation that the way the DEVO 8 first shipped, it was not backwards compatible except for the xxxx-D receivers, BUT that there was a software update coming that would enable the TX DEVO-8 to work with at least some of the older (RX 2801-PRO) receivers. Last word I have been able to find is that this is false.
There is no backwards compatibility except for the -D suffix receivers.

If I am not mistaken, Nick-onelove, a contributor to this forum, has an early example of the DEVO-8 and should be able to confirm this....PLEASE DO!

I came within pressing the "send" button of ordering the DEVO-8 TX and one RX from eHIROBO last night for $209.99, but the $49.00 freight tab made me think twice and I ended up canceling the order in the end. I will still probably do it soon as I have one more build that I need a RX for and I really like what I see with the DEVO (except the stupid name!).

My main input to Walkera is that to not be backward compatible is really pi$$ing off a lot of loyal customers/users. We stuck with Walkera and bore the brunt of a lot of flying field jokes and this is a pretty crummy way to reward that loyalty.

Just saying........

P.S. Please vote in the poll above!
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:24 am
PostPost subject:

My original reply got deleted, I don't know what happened. But anyway I can confirm that it's not compatible with the old receivers. I programmed in all my V500D01 settings and waited expectantly for it to connect, before finally checking the internet and facing the disappointment.

I voted "yes, but I'm ticked", but I'll undoubtedly be picking up the new receivers for my current Walkera helis, if only so I only have to carry around two transmitters instead of three. IE; my DX8 and the DEVO 8, and not the 2801-Pro. The touch-screen programming interface is certainly nice and incredibly intuitive, but I agree that the newly increased range is basically a non-starter for us heli fliers.

If you do decide to get a DEVO 8, keep in mind one is available bundled with the V100D08, which is pretty much as good as the mCP X except cheaper: http://www.helipal.com/product_info.php?products_id=7205

Last edited by nick_onelove on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:25 pm
PostPost subject:

nick_onelove wrote:
http://www.helipal.com/product_info.php?products_id=7205{2}7 (you can't click that, you have to copy & paste the entire thing including the "{2}7", I don't know what the hell is wrong.)

The "{2}7" included in the link causes a break in the URL at the first "{" Nick. It will never work - try this one instead:

http://www.helipal.com/product_info.php?products_id=7205[2]7

Tom.
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:59 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks Tom, and it looks like the link actually will work even without the bracketed information, as edited in my original reply. So weird.
silhouette015
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:06 pm
PostPost subject:

nick_onelove wrote:
My original reply got deleted, I don't know what happened. But anyway I can confirm that it's not compatible with the old receivers. I programmed in all my V500D01 settings and waited expectantly for it to connect, before finally checking the internet and facing the disappointment.

I voted "yes, but I'm ticked", but I'll undoubtedly be picking up the new receivers for my current Walkera helis, if only so I only have to carry around two transmitters instead of three. IE; my DX8 and the DEVO 8, and not the 2801-Pro. The touch-screen programming interface is certainly nice and incredibly intuitive, but I agree that the newly increased range is basically a non-starter for us heli fliers.

If you do decide to get a DEVO 8, keep in mind one is available bundled with the V100D08, which is pretty much as good as the mCP X except cheaper: http://www.helipal.com/product_info.php?products_id=7205

Hi Nick,

That is really weird. Just want to let you know that I did not delete the post and can't think of how a post would disapear by its self.

Never had a case of posts disapearing before.

I will keep an eye out for problems but if anything happens again please let me know.
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:16 pm
PostPost subject:

I'm sure it had something to do with that weird URL.

Thank you for your attention concerning this matter, but it's really no big deal, I certainly didn't mean to cause such a kerfuffle over one link. And as none of my content was inflammatory, I assumed it was a technical problem and not admin moderation anyway.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:44 am
PostPost subject:

nick_onelove wrote:
. I programmed in all my V500D01 settings and waited expectantly for it to connect, before finally checking the internet and facing the disappointment.

Nick,

Now if someone will package the DEVO 8 with the V500D01 I will be interested. That little v100 is not my cup of tea. Big scale ya know! Shocked Looked all over the net for the 500, and no one is doing it....yet.

HINT...HINT Rolling Eyes
laneritc
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:59 am
PostPost subject:

Are there only three of us who fly walkera brand ???
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:26 am
PostPost subject:

Haha it's possible Lane, the community of "regulars" is somewhat smaller here, but I've found that's a good thing!

Once the "D" series version of the V500D01 receiver is actually available, I'm sure there will be packages like you described available, ferretmaster. And man it's an awesome and effortless bird, I highly recommend it. Here's one of my first flights with it:

Link

Last edited by nick_onelove on Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:17 pm
PostPost subject:

silhouette015 wrote:

Hi Nick,

That is really weird. Just want to let you know that I did not delete the post and can't think of how a post would disapear by its self.

Never had a case of posts disapearing before.

I will keep an eye out for problems but if anything happens again please let me know.

I found that with the "{}" brackets in the URL the post would not show up on 'Preview', so I assume that had I just pressed 'Submit' the post would not have appeared.

I find it best to check any links on 'Preview' first before going to 'Submit'.

Tom.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:19 pm
PostPost subject:

ferretmaster wrote:
How do you make the quote think work? I just get [quote=.....]

Hi ferretmaster,

Just click the 'Quote' button at the top right of the post that you want to quote.

Tom.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:34 am
PostPost subject:

tombo242 wrote:
ferretmaster wrote:

Hi ferretmaster,

Just click the 'Quote' button at the top right of the post that you want to quote.

Tom.

Well that works! I thought that was what I was doing, but..... Embarassed

How to do just a portion, not the entire post? Highlighting and the quote button, and cut and paste with the button do not seem to work for me.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:37 am
PostPost subject:

[quote="ferretmaster"]
tombo242 wrote:
ferretmaster wrote:

How to do just a portion, not the entire post? Highlighting and the quote button, and cut and paste with the button do not seem to work for me.

Just answered my own question....quote and delete what you don't want...simple things for simple minds Very Happy .
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:41 am
PostPost subject:

Yea,

Our first RAF motto was K.I.S.S. "Keep it simple stupid".

Simple is always best.

Tom.
ferretmaster
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:59 am
PostPost subject: Well I did it...

I pulled the trigger on the DEVO8. Getting it from Miracle-Mart. Half the freight cost of eHIROBO. I HATE getting ripped off on freight! Twisted Evil Same base price of $209.90.
I'll keep posting how I like this thing over time. Bear in mind I do NOT do 3D, I am a scale/pattern type flier. Cool

Thumbs up and skids down.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: