Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> S.R.B Quark

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graefulfrog
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:15 pm
PostPost subject: what radio for a Quark?

Hi!
These forums are great!

I'm looking at a used quark which doesn't come with a transmiitter. Could anyone tell me what I should look for in a transmitter? Would I need special heli functions? I'm looking at a used Futaba 6VH (H as in Heli). Anyone have an opinion?

On the used market, there are some pretty sophisticated radios out there for cheap. like the Futaba 9 series, but can you use all those extra features on the Quark?

Anyone know where the answer may lie?

Thanks,
GF.
silhouette015
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:04 pm
PostPost subject:

The Quark will work with most transmitters as long as the brands are quite popular. Don't forget to ask for the manual from the seller because you will need it to set up the Quark to work with other transmitters. The settings are quite specific.

I recommend the 72mhz version of the Futaba 6EX HP which I think is the same transmitter that you're looking at.
graefulfrog
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:08 am
PostPost subject:

Hi!
thanks for the reply Actually, I think that the Futaba 6EX HP is a more recent version of the one I'm watching. The instructions don't seem particularly complex:
http://www.futaba-rc.com/discontinued/futk23.html
The manual is here:
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6vh-manual.pdf

I'm just such a neebie to this hobby that I wonder if I'm not getting into something too messy, just to save the money on a new Quark.

A question though, you say I should get 72MHz? But isn't the Quark on 35MHz? So won't this fail?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:13 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi graefulfrog,

Normally 72Mhz for the US and 35Mhz for Europe, not sure about other places, but make sure that the frequencies do match, and that the operating frequency is right for your country otherwise you will have to replace the Rx as well.

Why don't members say where they live? It often helps in cases like this.
graefulfrog
Hover Master
Hover Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:57 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks for that clarification. I am in Europe and didn't know that there were different frequencies used in US and here.

So is it a good idea to get a "fancy" transmitter, or would a basic model be ok for the Quark?

Does the Quark require special Heli functions? Would having special functions make a difference for a beginner like me? i.e. make it easier to learn to fly the Quark?
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:21 pm
PostPost subject:

As far as I am aware the Quark has no special functions, its a straight 4 channel heli and a very fair crash resistant model. The foam blades should reduce furniture damage in the early stages and you would be a very unusual beginner if you did not hit something. One thing to note about the claim that it can be flown outside. The top wind speed is 3mph and they mean it. If a slow walk does not outpace the wind - forget flying outside.

Your Quark will only use 4 of the channels however many the Tx has, but if you were to progress on to a more complex helicopter, then you would need a 6 or 7 channel Tx. In which case I would look at a 2.4Ghz Tx with a matching Rx.

However, any 4 channel Tx should do as long as the frequency is correct, you will almost certainly need a crystal to match the Rx. It will be numbered something like 35.080 meaning 35Mhz and channel 080. The crystals must match or the Tx/Rx will not work together. Normally these are sold in pairs and it may be quicker to change the Rx crystal as well as the Tx.

Be aware that you cannot put a 35Mhz crystal into a 72Mhz Rx or Tx, so I would check very carefully on what is in the Quark that you are after before parting with any money.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> S.R.B Quark All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: