Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

What receiver to buy.

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:42 am
PostPost subject: What receiver to buy.

I'm thinking of buying a receiver for my DX6i transmitter. Reason being is I saw that the receiver in the Big Lama can be changed. If I understand it right it's just a matter of swapping out the stock receiver for the spectrum receiver. But now which one to get. Thanks for your help in this matter.
Tom
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:49 am
PostPost subject:

Just do a Google Shopping search for "spektrum receiver."

I'm guessing you're going to want one of the 6-channel MicroLite ones. If it's significantly cheaper, don't be afraid of DSM2. The newer DSMX is only really necessary for big events where hundreds of transmitters may be on at the same time.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:50 am
PostPost subject:

Not quite Tom, see my links on your other BL post (link to it below). Connecting the rudder to the rudder channel on a DSM2 RX will not work on any of the co-axials that I have tried.

It is necessary to mix the rudder control into the 'Gear' channel or you will have no power at all. Please don't ask why I haven't worked that out - yet.

However, this mix has worked well on Blade, E-flite, Esky and Walkera co-axials, so it seems the way to go for the DX6i enthusiast.

Check this link (scan down some!)

Tom.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:21 am
PostPost subject:

Carr52:

I have many of these receivers that I got from Target hobbies in China. I only paid $ 4.99 for mine. I see they are 16.99 now. How ever they have the ar500 full range receiver for $ 9.99. They work fine. Never had a problem.

Jack
nick_onelove
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:21 am
PostPost subject:

Wow great find Jack. Shocked

Are they genuine or copies? They're so cheap I don't even care if they are. Laughing
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 am
PostPost subject:

nick_onelove:

As near as I can tell they are real Spektrum receivers. They (target) USE TO OFFER little blue spektrum clone receivers for $ 4.99. I've got maybe 6 or 7 of them and they work fine. Some time later they (Target) came out with the receivers in the plastic Spektrum cases. I've 15 or more of these. they were so cheap I put them in my little Gravity war birds. Also I got AR500 full range receivers for my J-3 cub and F4F. Along with the F&L planes I've built. They are great. They get here in 7 to 10 days from China.

Jack
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:36 am
PostPost subject:

Howdy Jack,
I went to the Target hobby site and they do have some nice stuff. Would the ar500 receiver work for my big lama project? I was thinking of buying a receiver from Hobby King and one from target hobby. To see which one I like best. As far as range goes it's not important cause after about 75 ft. Or more my eyes wonk out. My depth perception is some what lacking. Thanks for the information.
Tom
Update: well I Googled Specktrum Receiver and got all kinds of sites to look at. I found a AR6100e for just under $20. I assume that will work for the Big Lama. Also the Hobby King site has servos real cheap. So I guess if the local Hobby shop doesn't have anything I'll just get both and see which one works best for me. Thanks all.
Tom
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:42 am
PostPost subject:

carr52 wrote:
Tom
Update: well I Googled Specktrum Receiver and got all kinds of sites to look at. I found a AR6100e for just under $20. I assume that will work for the Big Lama. Also the Hobby King site has servos real cheap. So I guess if the local Hobby shop doesn't have anything I'll just get both and see which one works best for me. Thanks all.
Tom

Well Tom,

I still say go for this one, never had a problem with them yet. It's fully DSM2 compatible and a fraction of the price you'll pay anywhere else.

Tom.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:04 am
PostPost subject:

Hey Tombo, I'm gonna get two of those but I was wanting some servos to go with it. They have servos of all sizes and I dont know which ones to get. Digital or analog. I want to build an airplane with rudd, aile, and elev. Knowing as little as I do I need all the help I can get. Thanks guys.
Tom
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:48 am
PostPost subject:

carr52:

I have several ar6100e and ar6110e that I use in helicopters. Also the little Gravity war birds. As they are so small you really can't get far away because you can't tell what they are doing.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Jack
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:41 am
PostPost subject:

Hi Tom,

Servos depend on the size of the control surfaces. For something around 70cm to 1m span 9 gram is fine.

All servos are digital, it's just that the ones called analog will only accept a slower pluse rate. That's why they burn out if supplied with the high pulse rate from a digital gyro. In a plane it does not matter. For the average beginner even the slow servos are fast enough. You are not likely to go 'Prop Hanging' for quite a while, so don't worry.

I've just got 8, 9 gram plastic geared servos for $0.01 USD with a lucky ebay bid and they will be going into my latest build. (Not the real micro ones though.)

You might be interested in this CG calculator that I've just finished programming. It will install and run on just about any windows OS. Love to hear of any problems with it.

Tom.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:18 am
PostPost subject:

I ordered two of the orange rx's and some servos from HK. I'm using a Mac right now but I'll get on the PC tomorrow and check out the CG calulator. Not really sure what I'm doing at this point but I guess I'll learn as I go. One step at a time. Thanks for the help with the receiver.

Tom
tombo242
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:06 pm
PostPost subject:

Tom:

There's no manual for the calculator - everything is 'on screen'. You may have to average out a little on the wing plan as it assumes straight lines on L/E, T/E & tip. I've used it on my P51 and it gave me a figure very close to the recommended value. I find that its useful as you don't have to be on line so I have it on the portable and can use it anywhere.

Just PM me with any problems.

Tom.
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:03 pm
PostPost subject:

Well believe it or not. I managed to download the program and make it work. It was pretty easy. Only problem is I have no idea what all the different terms mean. Root chord, tip chord,mac. It's all forign to me. Maybe if it had a picture of a wing or a plane on there. That would help someone like me. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks Tombo.

Tom
carr52
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:02 am
PostPost subject:

Well I tried to order the receiver from HK but something must have went wrong. I clicked on the confirm order button and the only thing that happened was I got an email that said I would receive another email confirming my order. Thats not how PayPal works. I usually have to log into my Paypal account to confirm it and pay. This time nothing. No email either. Guess I'll give em another day and see what happens. I did get an email from thinkRC that my Big Lama is on the way. Step one.
Tom
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electronic, Parts, Components, Batteries, and Chargers All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: