Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Where is everyone at in there flying skills...

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:31 pm
PostPost subject: Where is everyone at in there flying skills...

I was just wondering in the last year what type of flying everyone has been working on and what kind of moves have you finally nailed after working on them for a while, both on the sim and at the field. I thought it would be fun to hear what you have been working on and what finally clicked for you..
For the last year I have been working on my upright and inverted piro's, and after much hard work finally nailed the last of my flying in all orientations, with inverted backwards being the last thing to master. After doing this I can no do funnels upright, inverted, tic tocs and other moves. I have found that just getting used to flying a pirouette in one spot slowly both upright and inverted has opened up a whole new world of flying for me. by learning this I have found that while flying, there is no position in the air I can get into that I can't bail out of if I get into trouble, and by doing so the number of crashes have gone down.
So I was just wondering how everyone else is doing??
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 pm
PostPost subject:

It's been so hot here in Florida that I've be flying the TV on Netflix's.
Can't stand the heat anymore in my old age.

Hal has been showing all his different toys that he caused me to break out the old trains. They were all good when I put the up ten or fifteen years ago. But now they are all broken. I also can't find some of my toys after the move?

Anyway I've been working on the train engines waiting for the weather to cool off some. I have five engines here with me that have computors in the tenders. They all seem to have gotten scrambled for some reason. All for of my helicopters are in some stage of repair. Only one flies. The new flybarless MSR-X. It only likes one of my many batteries. Horizon Hobby finally decided to send me a new mother board for the MSR-X but I've not replaced it yet?

That's where I'm at. Going to need Tombo242 to finish the helicopters.

jack
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:26 am
PostPost subject:

Been warm here too Jack, nights down to around 30ºC (86ºF) and days up to 42ºC (107ºF) with the odd hot one at 46ºC (115ºF), starting to cool off now though.

My main problem is the winds which start at dawn, the dust and weeds on the flying field coupled with a reluctance to get up at 05:00 to go fly. I must be getting lazy in my old age Sad .

I've been involved in building a small bipe from supermarket foam chicken boxes. The idea is to use a vee tail with elevons. Unfortunately I needed an extra channel on the DX6i to do this. I looked at what I had and the 2 co-ax helis seemed likely, the only difference was that one had the elevator reversed, the other didn't Rolling Eyes . Checking them over the small one had odd size servos while the big one had normal size servos. I managed to find a servo which rotated in the opposite direction and now both co-axials are working on the same channel. Gives me the extra channel for the elevon bipe. Very Happy (Still in the cutting & dev stage.)

I do not recommend this for a 450 or better heli, mine have their own channels and will stay that way, as will my big fixed wings. However, the 4 channel co-ax helis are both performing excellently on their single channel. Two other channels take care of rudder & elevator minis and ailerons & elevator minis. It's amazing what can be packed onto one DX6i if you think about it.

Tom.
moparherb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:21 am
PostPost subject:

I have been at R/C heli's for two years or more. I'm 65 years old and I really don't like to crash, even though I know it is part of the hobby. So I'm taking baby steps. I now fly a Trex 500 and a Trex 550. What I do is really not flying. More like modified hovering. But this summer (beautiful summer in Central New York) I managed pirro's and some forward flight. Normally most heli pilots do this in a few months, but I'm taking baby steps. I'm real proud of myself, because even though these are not major accomplishments, I haven't crashed and I feel really confident when my heli lifts off. Both of my birds are flybarless. When I started I went through the usual coaxial, fixed pitch, Blade 400 stuff. I usually fly all year round, even in the winter, on floats for the skids. So even though I'm not up to most of the 3D pilots, I'm having a great time, retirement could not be better.
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm
PostPost subject:

moparherb wrote:
... I'm having a great time, retirement could not be better.

It's true what they say. How did I find time to go to work?! Very Happy
moparherb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:02 pm
PostPost subject:

"matelot" I agree but I finally found something that retirement ruins......weekends. I used to look forward in my working days to those two little days off at the end of the week. Now they are the same as any other day......but I really love retirement and the time it affords me to fly helicopters.
G.K.
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 pm
PostPost subject:

Were am I with my flying skills?

Just at the hovering tail in stage. I can do flips, rolls and nose in flying on the sim but not ready to try it for real yet. Loads to learn but enjoying it.

Took up RC helis as something to do when there's no or little wind, my other favourite pastime requires at least 5 knots really.

I fly in the S.E. UK and have noticed over the last 4 years or so that the wind has increased on average each year so the days that are suitable for novice flying are now few and far between. The average weather has deteriorated also, this summer the jet stream that typically sits just north of the UK has shifted south bringing endless low pressure systems and a completely crap summer ....I do have access to a sheltered lawn which is suitable for hovering and low speed stuff, the shelter takes the edge off the top wind speed but does make it a a bit blustery.

Like Moparherb I'm also a little phobic of crashing, I know it will happen but I don't want it to be because I was rash or impatient.

I reckon it'll take me a while to get the hang of this hobby but I'm in no rush.
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 pm
PostPost subject:

Ok, so another year has gone by. Is anyone getting better at their skills??
What are you working on, and what have you learned?
Here is your chance to brag.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:07 am
PostPost subject:

I would not say my skills are improving any. However I have gotten interested in quads. I bougth an Aerosky h100 that didn't work out very well. I sent it back as I could not get the motors to calibrate? So it didn't want to fly. Xheli was very good about it. A little slow maybe but they did come through very well. I like xheli allot.

Then built a mini 250 quad with a small frame I got from XHeli. Put the little HK T2200-2300 airplane motors on it. I used HK 12A ESC's. Tom help me allot to get it sorted out. The little bugger flew well. Lots of propeller speed. It was over weight but still flew OK.

Then bought all the parts for a 550 size quad. Got a X525 from HK with motors, 35a ESC's, a power distrabution board. Took the KK2 control board off the little 250 and put it on the X525. That is one sweet flying quad. I can't say how stable it is. I really Like it. I'm still getting use to it But I'm doing well. I can't say enough good about it. Thinking of a 650 like it. Same brand frame.

Next was a whirlwind 450 from hk. It's a nice quad looks good however the KK2 board was a bogus dud. I'm still upset with hk as they were no help at all. Bought another KK2 from a guy on EBay. That KK2 should be here tomorrow, the 29th.

In the middle of all this I dusted off the old B400. Crash right on lift off?? Didn't use the camera to watch it so I'm not real sure but I may have the ailerons backwards. I did replace the stock servos with Hitec h65's.

To some it all up. I can still crash good & fast. I'm getting allot better at complaining, whining & crying to hobby king about there lack of proper support. Building skills have improved allot along with repairs skills.

It's sure allot of fun playing around building stuff.

I forgot - I just bought a new quad frame. A wooden from for a 450 size. Got it from Blueskyrc.com models. I think they are in the States. parts were only $ 19.99 USA money. shipping 3 bucks I think so they must be in the States. No boom come with it but that's easy to find at any hardware. Should be a nice project.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:57 am
PostPost subject:

My flying has improved a heap and more recently regressed a little I was up doing confident fast forward flight, the odd flip and roll before a couple of prangs damaged my confidence, it is slowly coming back but takes a while.

Building wise I in the middle of converting the whole fleet to FBL in the end only the 480 size Huey will retain it fly bar because it has an odd 7mm main shaft. The Blade 400 is the current project just waiting for the head to arrive and it should be up and going everything else is working.

Really enjoy the experimenting and upgrading I have a Pigeon 450 ML that must be 10 years old, it is FBL and running an S6 power system the only thing I can't do is give it a Torque Tube tail, well not that I can work out yet, think I'll end up putting it into a scale body.
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:48 am
PostPost subject:

I've just finished building a 450 quad. Made a maiden flight in a wind that I wouldn't have risked with anything else. Flew OK though, just needs a little adjustments here and there.

Tom
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:01 am
PostPost subject:

I have gotten a chance to fly a couple of quads and have to admit they are fun.
I dove in the deep end last year and purchased 2 Trex 700 nitros and tricked them out with all the good stuff. Also picked up a Trex 600E that is fun to fly too.
My last purchase was an MCPX BL, and OMG this thing is a ton of fun in a little package. Its fun to fly it in the pits while I am waiting for my turn on the flight line..
As far as flying, I have been getting out every weekend and working on the sim on a regular basis.
Mastered my inverted piro's and upright piro's, took a while but well worth the work. Once you get these down, a whole new world of flying will happen for you.
Currently working on 4 point tic tocs, piro flips and a bunch of other stuff.
I almost have a routine down, which helps a lot, since you don't have to think about what your next move is going to be, you just fly into it.
sbobby
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:05 am
PostPost subject:

Have been flying loop with HK450.
After a couple of crashes when doing loops, I realise that the cheap HXT900 servo cannot handle the stress of a flip. Since I change to higher spec with metal gear servo, I have not had a crash when doing a loop (yet !).

Now, I am agonising whether I should (spend big bucks) get a genuine Align Trex 600 nitro with a fancy DFC or not. It will be a big step forward and I don't even want to think about if I will crash it.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Electric RC Helicopters General Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: