Register | Log in

Electric-RC-Helicopter.com's Homepage
AlbumAlbum  | FAQ | Search | Memberlist

Would you buy a heli from Walmart?

Custom Search
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you ever buy an RC helicopter from Walmart?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
No
81%
 81%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 22

RFJ
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:09 pm
PostPost subject: Would you buy a heli from Walmart?

Hello Everyone!
I am new posting to this forum, but have been reading for a few days now. My friends bought their 4 year old Son an RC helicopter from Walmart for approximately $40. I love it and have been flying it whenever I visit.

I would like to purchase one for myself. As a beginner, I would like to start off with one $40 or less. Amazon and Walmart are the only options I have (as far as I know). There are several reviews and I have been reading/researching.

My understanding is that the 3-channel helis in my price range will run approx 5-8 mins and the battery takes approx 1 hour to charge.
However I have heard that some small helis that can charge in 10 minutes. If this is true, can someone please advise what brand/model?

I am a somewhat impatient girl (as many are). Any suggestions for me on which heli has fast charge times? I do not mind that the flight time is under 10 mins, as long as I can re-charge quick Smile

If 40-60 min charge time is my only option in this price range, which model do you recommend? I found a Syma S107 on Amazon for about $26 with free shipping and the general consensus from the reviews is that it is easy to control and durable for the price. I also found some on Walmart's website with free site-to-store shipping.... Swann, Trademark Games, and US Army brands.

What do you think?

Thanks!!

Rachael
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:25 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi Rachel,

I voted 'no' because I wouldn't buy the kind of helicopter that is sold in the Walmart style shops. (We don't have them here - only just got a Macdonalds and that's not in my local town.) Try asking Walmart about the spares situation. The heli will at some time need them and it is very unlikely that Walmart will stock any at all.

Re: Flight time - recharge time.
Best way is to get more batteries, battery life depends on careful charging-discharging. The rapid charge will tend to destroy batteries quickly. The solution is to ensure that the heli has easily changable batteries and get extra ones along with a charging system that can cope with at least two batteries at once. That way you can charge while you fly.

To do this you will either have to visit a hobby shop or take advise from us on (cheaper) internet purchases.

Welcome to the forum Rachel.

Tom.
admiral
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:29 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi RFJ,

Given the budget that you have nominated, you are limited to about a 1 hour charge time for a 5~7 minute flight going flat out.

The cheaper helicopters are build to a price, so they have fixed batteries that need to be charged in the helicopter, the Hobby grade helicopters (4 Channel) normally have non fixed batteries so fly 7 Minutes replace the batteries and fly some more, after letting to motors cool a bit.

Comes down to you get what you pay for, I agree the Le Cheepos can be fun but they are limited.

PS. Welcome to the forum
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:11 am
PostPost subject:

RFJ:

Sooner or later you will need spare parts for your helicopter. Wal_mart will NOT have them.

Get a hobby grade helicopter from a local hobby shop (LHS). They will have spare parts. Get a Blade helicopter. You will like it better.

Jack
dasBlade450
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:21 pm
PostPost subject:

Rachael......
Your local hobby shop is likely to have the Blade Scout heli....
Price is ~$50.......it's easy to fly and fairly rugged......
As others have noted....battery life averages about 4-6 minutes of flight time; recharging can vary from a few minutes to an hour (or more), depending on the type/size battery and the charger used....so extra batteries are always a good thing!!! Laughing
Best of luck......and....
Happy Flying!
(BTW....my granddaughter shares your name...spelled slightly differently...!)
moparherb
Hopping Maniac
Hopping Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:21 pm
PostPost subject:

+1 on the Blade Scout. A very sturdy heli for the money and it's hobby grade so parts are available. Your LHS may have a deal going from time to time that might even lower the price. I've seen this heli fly and it's a great starter heli. E-Flite makes it and it's backed by a great support group and parts supply.
RFJ
Charging
Charging

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:19 am
PostPost subject:

Thank you for the replies and info!
Twelve people voted no on the poll. The one "yes" was actually from me.... Embarassed

Even though Amazon sells extra parts, after reading the above info I agree with the suggestions to go to a local hobby store. That does makes logical sense. Surprisingly I found one within 20 mins from me and the saleswoman I spoke with on the phone was quite knowledgeable. I am planning on paying the store a visit when the snow lets up (hopefully next week). I am might just browse on my first visit and collect info. But it seems like this Blade Scout fellow would be a good first helicopter, so might pick it up. I will definitely read the technique posts too! I want to lessen then number of newbie crashes!

This forum is sooooo helpful!!!!! It is nice to post in a forum where people give intelligent responses with explanations that someone new to the sport can understand. That definitely reflects on the users genuine love for the hobby and their kindness to help others.

Thank You again. I will post when I get my heli (which will NOT be purchased from Walmart or Amazon) Very Happy
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:12 pm
PostPost subject:

You are very welcome to all that we know of the hobby Rachel, it's good to share and it is our pleasure to do it.

Tom.
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:58 pm
PostPost subject: post subject

I feel a bit naughty here because i have voted no. However it was one of those cheapo rubbish heli's that got me interested in the hobby. It flew for about a week before i needed spares and i went into the Lhs. They had no parts for my rubbish heli but there was a full compliment of Blade heli's and spares and i bought a Blade mcx (the original yellow one) and have been hooked ever since. I have been to the shop today and bought the new msr-x and the batteries are charging while i type. I now have ten helicopters and two DX6i transmitters. So that first cheap heli has now cost me quite a lot of money.
Good luck Rachael and welcome to your new addiction.
Plenty of help here if you need it.
My advice now would be to dodge the 3 channel scout and go for the mcx-2. Its four channel and more fun and a better way to train your thumbs.
Hal the Elder
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:41 am
PostPost subject:

Hey Rachael,

WalMart, Target, and other mass-marketing department stores sell toy helicopters like the one you're referring to.

Some adults like 'em too, so don't feel embarrassed. If they provide fun for you, then go for it!

Just don't put one alongside an Align T-REX 700...the downdraft from the big bird's blades will flatten the toy chopper!

Hal
matelot
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:16 pm
PostPost subject:

Hi, Rachael, and welcome to the forum from a sunny France. As you can see, we're a globe-trotting bunch, and you'll get a wealth of opinions and sage advice.

I'm still on my first chopper - a T-34 co-axial that Santa got from Amazon UK. It was enough to get me hooked, and now I'm about to start my first build.

Overall, take a breath and do a little research on models/costings/spares, and then you can make a considered purchase. You'll be flying in no time. And if you really do get hooked, there's a good and very cheap simulator available for when you want to progress.

Enjoy the hobby. Very Happy
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> Product Discussion All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: