Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX Goto page 1, 2  Next

Advertisements

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:24 pm
PostPost subject: WoW! Free T-Rex Pro!

I finally found a guy who has done this for many years and lives about an hour away from me and he invited me to come over and see if he could help me out, anyway, in his garage amid all the Helis, planes, and R/C cars he is diggin' around in a dusty old bin and pulls this out and I go, "whoa! that's a T-Rex Pro! Man, i always wanted one!" he says "Yea? well, crashed it, ruined the head and bent the boom,...here, take it home"... Shocked later on he brings out a buncha other stuff and hands it all to me and says "fix it up" and see what it can do". The heli community is so cool!! Very Happy
This is what he gave me for free, said he doesn't fly small helis anymore and they would just sit and get all rusty and dirty so...

unbelieveable! ...ordered the head, boom and battery mount today,
can't wait to get 'em and rebuild the beast! HeyChopper, let's get together and fly buddy! We will go up and visit Crash and he can show us how to do 3D, lmao!!
you should see what Gizmo, the guy's name that invited me over, has, a 600 Nitro, a 600e with 10s! My God, it kiks butt!! He flew it for me in a very strong gusty wind and it just sat there and did not move unless he wanted it to,...I am in love....no, with the 600 Wink I want one so bad now! So stable it is not even funny, too bad they are so expensive, everyone should start with a 600 Very Happy Anyhoo, he is building a 700 Nitro now and is almost done. Hopefuly he will come by to this Forum and say hi and maybe offer some help and /or info to any who needs it.

Last edited by Trouble on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Crashagain
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:14 pm
PostPost subject:

That is so cool....
I am jelous.. Your gonna luv it. That motor and speed control is about 200 bucks for the pair.
Get it put together and bring it over, and I'll show you how to do nose down funnels and inverted circuts.... Laughing
tombo242
Admin
Admin

Location: Santo Estêvão, East Algarve, Portugal. Now 82, but still feels 22.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:43 pm
PostPost subject:

Reckon you must have done something good in your life there Trouble. That's a real reward with a good future Razz .

Tom.
Scott
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:15 pm
PostPost subject:

How Sweet is that! Good for You Man. Wink
Scott
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:52 pm
PostPost subject:

Thanks guys! I could not believe it either, I was thinkin', " okay, i'm gonna wake up any minute and this really won't be true".... Crying or Very sad
Ends up I pay a 'lil less than $150.00 to get it back in shape.
Never met a nicer grp of people than the R/C heli community!!!!
All of ya'll here and then that guy too, just proves it!

Hiya Tom,
Well, maybe the great Heli God is makin' up for all the "Trouble" he gave me in the beginning, all the crashes, all the money, all the frustration,..I am sure ya'll remember...lmao Rolling Eyes I mean he was absolutely kickin' my rear there for a long time, I bet he got alot of laughs out of it...I almost think this is the least he could for me, lol.

Hey Crash,
Man, i wish we really could get up there!

Thankyou Scott, it is so sweet my teeth hurt! Wink
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:45 pm
PostPost subject: post subject

you have done well there trouble,
the kit i bought included motor, esc, tail and cyclic servo's and the latest gp 780 gyro and cost £389.00. i dunno what that is in dollars but its alot more than free. i could have got it cheaper mail order but guy from galaxy models was very helpful and said if you have any problems come back and he would help me with setup. crashagain was spot on when he said the the wiring is awkward on this heli. it is.
thanks to all for the tips about bob finless video's. i have downloaded them to my pc and with video assistance i have finished and i am ready for maiden flight.
unfortunately the weather has taken a turn for the awful and we have gales now with rain to follow Sad i have been very engrossed with this being my first proper heli build and i forgot to take any pics (sorry trouble) maybe next time if i do another. i watched the test flight video last night and dont think i will ever reach that standard but i can dream and just enjoy practising. Smile
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:08 am
PostPost subject:

Hiya Chopper!
My bad on on my previous post, I could not find your post on the Pro and had thought it was DT that had bought the Pro, Sorry 'bout that,... Sry DT.. Embarassed
Yea, you got the Super Combo, $470.00 here. Good deal! Wink
What RX and TX are you gonna use? I have read that the headspeed on these beasts is so high you can fly in pretty good winds and be just fine. One of the new things I am learning right now is to fly in Idle-up.
And, remember, don't let the tail rotors hit anything, that is the only thing I have read so far that is negative about Torque Tubes. You know, on YouTube I watch alot of heli vids, and there are a ton of people there (England) that fly helis and especially Align Trexs'. I bet you could find someone close that you didn't even know was there. I hate to mention another Forum here but...I have to admit that the "Locator" on HeliFreaks is awesome, that is how I found the guy I got this Pro from. You should use it to find someone close to you. And..don't belittle yourself buddy, the test flights are done by people that have years of XP, you WILL get there, practice and confidence,..and it won't be long 'til you are there.
Never, ever think about the cost of a mistake when you fly, it will hold you back. Just go fly and enjoy it! Twisted Evil
Hey, can you take pix of it now and post 'em? even built I would like to see, you can show me your wiring and how you did it.
Take care bud.
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:17 am
PostPost subject:

just exactly were does this guy live. Be specific.

Jack
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:52 am
PostPost subject:

Hiya Jack!
Northeast Houston, I took beltway 8 East from 45 South, takes about an hour to get there for me. Probably the best thing is to go to HeliFreaks and look up rovpilot26, he operates underwater Remote Vehicles offshore, and is a graduate of MIT, so, he understands the engineering and electronics of helis very well indeed.
He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and is devoted to helping people get ahead in the hobby, he loves it as much as we all do, if not more. He will do all he can to answer your questions and is very patient, which is good for me... Rolling Eyes you should contact him Jack, maybe he might come over here and add to the community if he sees an interest. Very Happy

Last edited by Trouble on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:04 am

hi trouble.
i copied the wiring on the finless video apart from the gyro which i lazily ran down the outside of the frame. but he did say to keep it away from the servo wires and the torque gearing if possible to avoid interferance. i will try and hide that at some time soon. i also kept the receiver slung between the skids as it was easier to get at.

Last edited by chopper54 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total
pjdog
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:30 am
PostPost subject:

Howdy Chopper54:

That's a good one. Looks sweet. Hope she flies as good as it looks.

jack
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:41 am

its too windy today but i am itching to have a go with it.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:55 am
PostPost subject:

Hiya Chopper! Very Happy
Wow! that is absolutely outstanding! You did a great job on the build!
Say, check this out, you might like it for your wiring.
HERE
and
HERE
The silver offers resistance to electrical interference and looks good against black. The black will blend in with the frame. Just an idea. doesn't matter, your heli looks awesome no matter what. Congrtaulations!!

Here is that wiring protector on one of mine,

it would be alot better if I had un-soldered the wires from the servo and used heat shrink tubing on the ends but, didn't realize how to do that until just recently... Crying or Very sad as it is I very carefully heated (melted) the frayed ends with a hot knife so they would not become all frayed out. I might still do that if the weather stays crappy, would make it look a lot better. But, anyway you get an idea of what it looks like. No matter what, like I said, you have an awesome heli there Chopper! Cool
chopper54
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:25 pm

thanks trouble,
i do like the black stuff i think it will certainly look better.
i think the coloured wires are spoiling the finish at the moment.
Trouble
Extreme 3D
Extreme 3D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:23 pm
PostPost subject:

I agree with you, black goes much better with your Pro. The wrap around works the best I think, you don't have to struggle with getting it over the plastic connector, even though last night I was playing around with an old servo and discovered that with a X-Acto knife I could take the wire pins out of the connector,... slide 1/8th inch heat shrink and 1/8" braid right onto the wire and it turned out great!

The little locking clips went right back to where they were supposed to be and all was fine. Now, I am gonna redo all of mine so I don't have to have the zip ties making it look all ugly.
Electric Rc Helicopter Forum Index -> T-REX All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: